Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My first call weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first call weekend

So I just did my first weekend of call at Emma. I have to be there for meds from 10-12 Sat and Sun and i'm on call for any other issues. We have a wicked GI bug going around so I spent extra time each day with my pukers getting them adequately hydrated to settle in under their house parents. I had to pop in both Sat and Sun evenings for just a bit to respond to some issues. I only live four miles away so I'm fairly quick to pop in becaue it's NBD and DH was off all weekend to watch the kids. The youngest kids have major cabin fever manifesting as tantrums and fights in a stream-of-consciousness form. They.never.stop. Everyone at the school was soooooo appreciative of my help and the extra effort I put into their well-being, communicating with worried, distant moms and their comfort. I was home just enough to enjoy my family, eat out with them, snuggle, hang out, but didn't do any meals, cleaning or harping. I pulled in over $600 to be told how awesome I am and feel appreciated and still enjoy all the highlights of my kids' weekend. I could totally get used to this. To be fair, I wasn't called in the middle of the night, but it was…fun. DH was a trooper knowing this was the first time our roles were reversed so completely. I had to be able to leave at any moment. His eyes were glazed over each evening. He was a lot quieter and less playful with the kids. You don't feel like being silly with them after dealing with them all.day.long. It was validating on both ends for me. Staying home is so much harder mentally and emotionally. I realize my call is NOTHING like his. I'm not up all night long with trauma patients or acute abdomens, but it's so nice to be appreciated and paid well for it. You have to reach really deep inside at home to keep breaking up the same fights, cleaning up the same messes, folding the same laundry and cooking the same meals for picky eaters.
    -Ladybug

Sounds great on both ends!!! I'm impressed you hubby didn't call you... The few times I went off on a ladies retreat or something, hubby called me 20 times asking where this or that was. I finally quit answering my phone.

Comment

Awesome, ladybug!!! Can you explain more about this job I didn't realize you were making the switch.. Or are you still working full time at the school? Are you just going to be doing weekends with this one? Is it called Emma?

Comment

I started working part time at Emma Willard School in November. I'm full time Tuesday and Thursday days (7:30-3:30). There is a nurse on call 24 hours since 70% of our student population is boarders. The call is good, easy money. Worst case and scenerio you take a student to the ER and stay with her because her parents aren't available. There is no medical decisions pressure. It's basically minimal legal risks, being available, reassuring, navigating the medical system and my time. I wasn't asked to take call until this month because the other two nurses are pregnant, both due in feburary and they don't get paid time off. They've been taking all the call and saving up for maternity leave. I get it, and their husbands aren't in the same tax bracket as mine. But I'm finally in!!! I'll be working full time (alone!!) when they leave in feburary until spring break. If all goes as expected I will return to part time in April. I'm pushing for more hours next year since all my kids will finally be full day school. They are pitching the idea of me joining the health teacher and taking on another role as health instructor as well as part time nurse. We'll see how it shakes out. I get the feeling they really want to keep me there and loved what I did with my health lessons at the last school. MB you would love this school. The art building has an entire wing of music practice rooms and teachers come up from NYC to work with the some students. There was a faculty and student recital this past Sunday. Can't wait until all my kids are old enough to attend these events.

http://www.emmawillard.org/programs/arts/music
        Last edited by Ladybug; 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM.
        -Ladybug

Comment

This is so awesome to read. I a overjoyed and can hear your contentment and happiness. It's palpable. How wonderful!

Heidi
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

The dads need the role shift - often! Good for you!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I am so incredibly excited for you!!!!! Sounds wonderful!!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Congrats! This really sounds like such a great situation.

Comment

Great update, E! I'm happy you're happy ☺️
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Sounds fantastic! You will be wonderful in this role. And Dad, well, he gets to see life from your side now.

Angie
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

^^^ what she said!

So glad you are enjoying your new job. Don't you have kiddos at the school too? How are they liking it?
                        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Wow!! What a great program!! Those faculty went to some heavy hitting programs! That's so fabulous that they're looking to utilize you for all your skills too. You've taught in the past? I bet you're a great teacher.

Good for you, LB looks like you're at a great place and I'm so happy your family did well with your new responsibilities!

Comment

What a great update! I'm so happy for you!
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm super excited for you!!!! Congrats and hugs! This is huge!!!
                              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                              X