Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are your goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your goals?

I thought this would be a good conversation to have.

What is your current career?
    What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year?
    Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I'm currently a grad student in an MA program in Psych/Counseling.

My 1 year goal is to finish all of my coursework (both for program and licensure) and to start practicum.
    My 5 year goal is to be working at a job with a community based organization providing care to people who aren't insured/can't afford it.
    My 10 year goal is to go back to school to work on a doctoral level degree before I retire. Total pie in the sky. Probably won't happen. You never know though. At the end of the day, I really think I'd be happy working for a community-based organization until I retire. That's my goal anyway.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Current career- SAHM, unused masters degree in sport psychology, planned on a PhD in psych until I became a trailing spouse and SAHM.
      Honestly, I don't know what my career goals will be. I rarely spend time thinking about myself and I have a 3 year old at home. I would love to be a professional student. Becoming a school psychologist would be my career choice. However, I have no desire to take out more student loans to finance school. So that would mean returning to work part-time because I would like to continue being home for my kid's after school. DH is revamping one of their clinics at the hospital and I told him I want to be the program coordinator. I would love it.
      Needs

Comment

What is your current career? Corporate whoredom
        What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year? I would like very, very much to go back and become a clinician - likely a PA. This is probably a 5-10 year goal at a minimum and if I'm realistic, will likely never happen. I can't take off work to get my 1,000 hours of clinical experience and when I won't have to work, I will be raising these kiddos. There's no time for me to pursue something like this in the near future and even 10 years would likely be a stretch.
        Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? Nope, except randomly dreaming about it. I've looked up programs. They're expensive and require so much clinical experience that I simply can't do more than dream.

I love school. LOVE IT. I was the weirdo who was excited to be back from spring break in college. It's just not in the cards for me.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

My current career: I'm a SAHM working about 4 hrs a week teaching students how to decorate cakes. I decided to join and sell Origami Owl and will celebrate my 1 year with the company this March. I do make cakes and cupcakes from time to time for customers and I started quilting and making those to sell as well.

Career goals in 1 year, 5 and 10? In one year I hope to be at the end stretch of hubby's graduation so I'll probably still be a SAHM. I'm hoping to know where I'll be when he graduates so I can work on my dream of owning my own pasty store within 5-10 years hopefully sooner rather then later!!

Currently doing nothing to work toward my goal but my best friend wants to open up a bar together so we will see where that takes us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

What is your current career? SAHM. former attorney, current grad student in 18 month alternative educator license
            What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year? 1.5 years: finished with school starting to work in classroom. 5 years: administration
            Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? enrolled in school
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

What are your goals?

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              What is your current career? Corporate whoredom
              What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year? I would like very, very much to go back and become a clinician - likely a PA. This is probably a 5-10 year goal at a minimum and if I'm realistic, will likely never happen. I can't take off work to get my 1,000 hours of clinical experience and when I won't have to work, I will be raising these kiddos. There's no time for me to pursue something like this in the near future and even 10 years would likely be a stretch.
              Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? Nope, except randomly dreaming about it. I've looked up programs. They're expensive and require so much clinical experience that I simply can't do more than dream.

I love school. LOVE IT. I was the weirdo who was excited to be back from spring break in college. It's just not in the cards for me.
              I want to address this. I think you can do it much sooner than that. After your hubby graduates and makes his attending money, it's your turn. You can take a one or two classes at a time. You don't need that many and can easily finish your pre-reqs while working part-time and spend time with your kids. Sounds impossible? It's not.

Example. Take just an anatomy/physiology class. This will be like 6 hours a week. The next semester take anatomy/physiology II. Over the summer, take Chem. Work as an medical assistant part time for 16 hours a week (like 2 days a week). You'll have 1000+ hours plus your pre-reqs done in 2-3 years. Easy.

The money? My program will be 60K. Yeah, it sucks, but loans are available. Don't let $ get in the way of your happiness. Plus, if you're a practicing PA and all you used your first year salary for was paying loans, it'd only take a year.

You could also wait till your kids are 5-6 years old. Lots of PAs go to school in their 40's and 50's. DH had a med school classmate that was 55 when she started med school! That may be a little crazy, but the point is, you CAN do this, and I believe in you.

I think you can do it, and I'm going to convince you. Go you!!!

Heidi
              Last edited by Vanquisher; 02-20-2015, 03:36 AM.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

What is your current career? Practice Manager (for like two more weeks). SAHM. Student(kinda).

What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year?

In 1 year I hope to be doing well in PA school. In 5-10 years I hope to be happy and practicing in my chosen field (whatever that is).

Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals?

Yup! School!

Heidi
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

What is your current career? I'm an assistant professor, on the tenure track.
                  What are your current career goals? In one year, I want to have a new grant or two submitted and to have passed my 3 year review. In five years, I'd like to have received an R01 or two, be promoted to an associate professor, and potentially have received tenure. In ten years, I'd like to still be productive with publications and funding and to have received tenure, on my way to full professor.
                  Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? Writing papers, writing grants, collaborating on research, teaching, doing service - all the professor-y things. It's tough knowing we'll probably be moving in a few years, but I'm hoping that will actually help me. Wherever I go, I'd like to try to get hired as an associate professor, and then I can work my way toward tenure there.
                  Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

What is your current career? Attorney in state government
                    What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year? In 1 year I'll have 3 infants and likely will be home for a longer period of time than I'd like. I am just not cut out to be a SAHM. I would like to return to work before the babies are 1 year olds, but we'll see. We are relocating this summer (DH finishes fellowship) so I have to start the whole job search over again. I do like working for the government so hopefully we'll end up somewhere that's possible. In 5 years, I'd like to still be at the same job. We've moved and I've never had the luxury of having a job that long. I would be nice to have consistency (even boredom because of mastering the job) for once. In 10 years maybe I'd like to move on back to a law firm, although I don't know if they'd hire me if I'm in government too long. I do like the high paced environment of a firm but I don't think I can handle it until the kids are much older.
                    Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? I'm working as long as I can before the doctor makes me go on bedrest. I hope to work from home after that. I just have to find a good way to keep my skills up after the move and after the babies are born.
                    Attorney, mom, married to a vascular surgery fellow!

Comment

My current career is a school RN. I enjoy the breath of primary medical and mental health work. No two days look the same. I especially enjoy the long term relationship with my students and watching them grow over the years.

Right now I'm only working two full days per week. Next year I'll pick up more hours, but I don't want to work more than 3-4 days. Next year all my kids will be in full day school so I can actually start making some money instead of paying for childcare. I've thought about pursuing grad school (it would be paid for by my employer) but I don't want to spend all my extra time studying. My five year goal is to be a healthy yogi and still working only 32 hrs a week, tops. I like having my summers off and the multi-week breaks throughout the school year. I want to play golf and tennis and ski. I've never traveled. I'm done climbing. I'm happy, and I like the view where I am.
                      -Ladybug

Comment

What is your current career? I'm a paralegal. Last month I returned to work for an old employer who offered me a full-time work from home position. I draft settlement demands and other stuff. Not too bad!

What are your current career goals? Ugh, I don't know. I've toyed with the idea of returning to law school (dropped out due to a medical issue), but the idea of two of us in school at the same time sounds crazy. I don't really want to have to take different bar exams as we move around, either. I've also thought about an MSW, or even just getting a paralegal certification (not required, but it would be good to have). I turn 31 this year so babies and fertility are taking up some brain space.

Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? Not quite yet, just a lot of googling and day-dreaming. I have some other evening commitments right now that are important to me, so once those end towards the end of this year I will have some more flexibility.

Comment

What is your current career? I work in healthcare operations.

What are your current career goals? I'm kind of torn. I enjoy the area of patient experience and would like to move into that area, if possible. I really like being able to interact directly with the patients and families we serve, rather than sit in my office all day. I also love writing and being creative. I'm not sure how to make those passions into a career yet.

Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? I started writing a blog as a creative outlet and a way to keep myself accountable to practice writing more. I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but I can say that I doing something with those interests. In terms of my professional career, where we land for fellowship next year may determine that to a degree.
                          Married to a PGY5 ENT Resident and mom to two adorable dogs, Daisy and Max.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting and inspiring thread. In the past two years since I met my partner I have often wondered whether I would actually be able to achieve the things below or if it was all just too much and not possible, particularly in future when we plan to have children. However you have all encouraged me to forge on along the unknown road ahead thank you

What is your current career? Bachelor (Honours) occupational therapy student on my final clinical rotation now and then one more semester left , plus part-time work as an occupational therapy assistant and medical transcriptionist
                            What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year? I am due to graduate and become a registered Australian OT later this year. Then the move to the USA really kicks into gear. 1 year I hope to be commencing my US OT Doctorate (have sat my GRE and application development is under way), 5 year hopefully by then or not long after I will be a certified US OT I would love to work within the services, particularly within the mental health and cognitive scope but I am open to all opportunities and have always had a passion for clinical governance and service provision advancement projects. 10 year currently I am having a little trouble looking this far ahead because I still have to actually make it to the US, my careers will vary greatly between Aus and the US.
                            Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? Currently studying and working on my post-grad application.

Should my Doctorate application not be successful then I will move on to plan.....???...well there are very few ways for me to get to the USA as an OT so currently the above is my only option, if that is unsuccessful then I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it
                            ~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

Comment

Originally posted by EvieLee View Post
                              Thanks for the interesting and inspiring thread. In the past two years since I met my partner I have often wondered whether I would actually be able to achieve the things below or if it was all just too much and not possible, particularly in future when we plan to have children. However you have all encouraged me to forge on along the unknown road ahead thank you

What is your current career? Bachelor (Honours) occupational therapy student on my final clinical rotation now and then one more semester left , plus part-time work as an occupational therapy assistant and medical transcriptionist
                              What are your current career goals? 1 year. 5 year. 10 year? I am due to graduate and become a registered Australian OT later this year. Then the move to the USA really kicks into gear. 1 year I hope to be commencing my US OT Doctorate (have sat my GRE and application development is under way), 5 year hopefully by then or not long after I will be a certified US OT I would love to work within the services, particularly within the mental health and cognitive scope but I am open to all opportunities and have always had a passion for clinical governance and service provision advancement projects. 10 year currently I am having a little trouble looking this far ahead because I still have to actually make it to the US, my careers will vary greatly between Aus and the US.
                              Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goals? Currently studying and working on my post-grad application.

Should my Doctorate application not be successful then I will move on to plan.....???...well there are very few ways for me to get to the USA as an OT so currently the above is my only option, if that is unsuccessful then I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it
                              Awesome! So when do you plan to move to the US?

Comment

Working...
                              X