Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Self-conffidence and work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-conffidence and work

I started an internship in a pediatric neuropsychology practice 2 weeks ago. Assessment is something I've always been interested (along with the brain and psychopathology). Honestly ... by the end of the first week, I knew that this is what I want to do. I felt so excited. This week, I've lost all self-confidence (and I think it's unrelated to mil visiting). I feel like there is so much to learn that I will never be able to do it. I watch the psychomestrist give the assessments and think "I can't do this. I'll never get it." I read the psychometrics of the tests over and over and over again and am none the wiser when it comes to understanding the intricacies of the factor analyses, etc.

Anyone else dealt with similar feelings? How did you get through to the other side?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

You'll get it! Of course you don't know it all now, but you will. And, as a professional, you're always learning. Just listen to me. You're awesome, and you will learn this.

Heidi
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I need hand holding. This is so important to me. I'm afraid of failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Of course you are! Cause it's important to you! But, you won't fail! Have you started reading the books? Set some study goals!

Heidi
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I can't look at the actual test booklet, so I bought some books at Amazon. The first part of the 1st book is all psychometrics. I've forgotten everything I knew and these chapters are more complex than what I knew. DH said to blow past the psychometrics and circle back after I finish reading about administration/scoring. He may be right. I'm letting myself stay stuck before even reading the rest of the material. Psychometrics will require some time again.

Comment

You're still learning. Cut yourself some slack.

You are one smart cookie and can absolutely hang in this arena. You can't expect yourself to be an expert when you've literally just started.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
              You're still learning. Cut yourself some slack.

You are one smart cookie and can absolutely hang in this arena. You can't expect yourself to be an expert when you've literally just started.
              Yes! And we're here for you!!
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Give yourself a chance and some time. Isn't this why you wanted to do this internship? You 'lol get it and soon know this stuff in your sleep.
                Needs

Comment

You're doing great, I'm sure! I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to doing a good job until several months into a job. Until then, you're really just learning, and they know that. They'll be impressed by your work ethic, your ability to help out where you can, and your enthusiasm for learning the job.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I remember when I started working after college I was overwhelmed and afraid. I even bought a dictionary for my field and planned to read it so hopefully I would not feel lost. A few years later I was in my element. Give yourself time and be kind. You can do this.

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Working...
                    X