Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Career decision-making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career decision-making

I'm trying to make some career decisions for myself and I' hoping to pick your brains!

I'm in an MA program in Counseling and Psychological Services right now and I'm closing in on my 9 month internship. This is usually a time where people choose a position that closely aligns with their interests. I've been back and forth on my own. Part of my problem has been a low sense of self and worrying that I can't learn what I need to in order to be a counselor. The program is very theoretical and we've not gotten any real clinical experience. That doesn't come until internship.

I'm an introvert and I have a tendency to feel anxious/uncomfortable in new social situations. I feel like that's a red flag when it come to meeting with people I don't know and listening/trying to help. Ugh.

My interests are more in the area of the brain, psychopathology and assessment and that's why I opted to do an unofficial internship in pediatric neuropsych assessment. I wanted to explore whether this felt like an area that was right for me ... or at least get some more exposure to assessment.

I pretty much love what I'm doing so far. I get lots of introvert time in the mornings because I comb through charts and put together pre-authorization letters for insurance companies. I basically read every piece of the clinical history and then summarize it in a paragraph. That's fun for me. I do it for hours and really like it. In the afternoons, I sit in on assessments. I find them fascinating and I'm always interested in the kids' responses. Something else that I like is that assessments are standardized. They come with scripts that you have to follow. Aside from establishing and maintaining rapport, there aren't awkward pauses or times where it isn't clear what you have to say. I really like that. It takes away any anxiety that I might have.

I've been reflecting on this though and I'm wondering if this is an escape for me or if it is truly my calling ... or maybe its both.....and if it's an escape, is that necessarily a bad thing?

I took the Strong Interest Inventory and it showed me to be investigative and social .... with most of potential careers being in medicine or research science ... counseling was #9 out of my top 10 career choices. Still, it's in the top 10.

I took the MBTI and was an INFP ...

It makes sense to me that I am seeking something that has some built in introvert pieces and is investigative. I think assessment fits that. It also makes sense to me though that I'm looking for something that won't be as anxiety provoking for me ... and having a built in script as opposed to having to worry about not having the right thing to say is appealing.

I don't want to sell myself short and make a decision based on anxiety though.

I was thinking about asking the PhD where I work if she would allow me to do an official internship with her. Now I'm thinking I should try a traditional counseling internship and I can always come back to assessment?

Do you have any thoughts?

Kris

I
    Last edited by PrincessFiona; 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
    I've been reflecting on this though and I'm wondering if this is an escape for me or if it is truly my calling ... or maybe its both.....and if it's an escape, is that necessarily a bad thing?

I took the Strong Interest Inventory and it showed me to be investigative and social .... with most of potential careers being in medicine or research science ... counseling was #9 out of my top 10 career choices. Still, it's in the top 10.

I took the MBTI and was an INFP ...

It makes sense to me that I am seeking something that has some built in introvert pieces and is investigative. I think assessment fits that. It also makes sense to me though that I'm looking for something that won't be as anxiety provoking for me ... and having a built in script as opposed to having to worry about not having the right thing to say is appealing.

I don't want to sell myself short and make a decision based on anxiety though.
    I usually test INTP.

I would not hesitate for a second to dive into assessment, in your situation. How is that "selling yourself short"? You're still meeting people, building rapport, and interacting, just on more comfortable terms. Research has the potential to help LOTS of people, not just the few people you see.

It's not a cop-out to do something you enjoy doing, and get credit/money for it.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Kris - I love psych, I really do and use counseling skills every day debriefing clinical encounters, conflict mediation, ed psych issues, general group dynamics, etc. etc. However, I f-ing hated the "come hither and lay on my couch" or couples counseling. They sucked the life out of me and I am an ENTJ. Man, I could not wait to get my hours and be done with the internships. About 6 years later I tried again...so that I could accumulate the buttload of hours required do meet LPC requirements. I.hated.it! And I was in the cush environment of a university counseling center. Nope, not for me. It is just not my bag. I do not think you are selling yourself short. It just may not be your thing either. Do what you love. Now, if you loved "couch" counseling but were afraid, that may be another discussion. Even so, there is plenty of time if you choose to transition from assessment to something else.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

You should do what you love and makes you happy!

Heidi
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          You should do what you love and makes you happy!

Heidi
          Yeah, this. You've found something you LOVE. Grab it by the ears and ride it.

Comment

I agree with the others - do what you love! I sometimes think that maybe I could have gone to med school, because a lot of things about being a physician are interesting to me. Like maybe I'd get more respect for what I do if I was a "real" doctor. But then I remember that I have zero debt, nobody ever tried to pimp me, I didn't have to do a residency and work absolutely insane hours, and I have the most flexible schedule ever, and I'm always glad that I made the choice to quit premed, change my whole life plan, and ended up in grad school to get me to where I am today.
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

When I did a career class at the co-op, I had a sheet that I had them fill out. I will try and find it. It had things like: I like to work alone, researching I like people. I like to see how things fit together... Anyway, the kids circled things and then looked at the careers/majors they were choosing to see if it was a good fit. It sounds like what your are doing now is a good fit.

Comment

Working...
              X