Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Distance Learning Masters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to go mommy on you here.

Don't do what is "sort of close" to what you REALLY want to do. Don't do it. Wait until you can go to PA school. Heidi has a high schooler. She waited until it became feasible.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Okay, little voice of dissent over here...maybe consider tabling it for awhile? You've got two toddlers and another one planned (no judgement there, ha!), a job from hell, and you are about to be making a huge transition to attendinghood. And wasn't there something about homeschooling?

I'm not saying don't do it ever, but maybe just take a few years to breathe first. I know you are the type of person who has to achieve, and I can see that quitting is going to create a hole in that area of your life, but you don't have to fill it right away. You've been living a relentless rat race for almost 4 years now, just give yourself a chance to "be" for awhile--and considering you will have 3 young kids it's hardly like you will be "slacking" or living the life of leisure.

I have no doubt that you will go back someday and do whatever it is you want to, but don't kill yourself trying to achieve it now on top of everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        Okay, little voice of dissent over here...maybe consider tabling it for awhile? You've got two toddlers and another one planned (no judgement there, ha!), a job from hell, and you are about to be making a huge transition to attendinghood. And wasn't there something about homeschooling?

I'm not saying don't do it ever, but maybe just take a few years to breathe first. I know you are the type of person who has to achieve, and I can see that quitting is going to create a hole in that area of your life, but you don't have to fill it right away. You've been living a relentless rat race for almost 4 years now, just give yourself a chance to "be" for awhile--and considering you will have 3 young kids it's hardly like you will be "slacking" or living the life of leisure.

I have no doubt that you will go back someday and do whatever it is you want to, but don't kill yourself trying to achieve it now on top of everything else.

This is my thought as well. Particularly since it sounds like you're still debating on what the best choice is, there's really no need to rush it. If being a PA is really what you want wait until you can be a PA. You will have plenty on your plate for the next couple of years, and you may find attendinghood will open up a bunch of other options.
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
          [MENTION=1768]scrub-jay[/MENTION] was your program completely distance?
          Yes, all of the coursework was distance (although I was always offered the in-person classes if I wanted). There was a required internship with an hours requirement along with presentation, and pseudo-thesis type project. I completed mine by designing a thorough set of food allergy protocols and education training requirements for an elementary school district. I had a good time with both the MBA and the MPH, although I haven't been using it in my employment.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I love school. I want to be a PA and I want a masters. PA isn't in the cards right now, it's just not. It's to expensive and time consuming. Where would we get the money for that much nanny time if I'm not working? And furthermore, I don't know if I want to be away from my kids that much after (hopefully) quitting my grueling job.

I see what you're saying ST. But the flip side is that I'd have something that is mine. I didn't apply to various programs over the last 5 years because there was always something about DHs job, etc. This time, I'm just going to apply and figure it out later. I cried bitter tears when I got turned down by that job and has missed the application deadline by a week. I guess what I'm saying is that I lost the option by not applying. I don't want to do that again. I can always choose not to go.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Oh and attendinghood is in 2018 at the soonest. So that isn't "soon" enough to warrant me blowing money we don't have on childcare to get my degree that I don't "need"
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

2018 isn't that far away (I know it doesn't seem that way). What if you started PA pre-reqs slowly? I don't remember how slow they can be, but could you line things up to be ready to apply for 2019? I'd hate to see you pay for an MPH, do all the work, then realize you should have spent that time and money on PA pre-reqs because it's what you actually want to do. Plus, wouldn't that buy time to ease into things as you're trying to juggle craziness of very young children, often absent husband, demanding job....? If, in 10 years you want to be a PA, I wouldn't look for a stop-gap now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                  2018 isn't that far away (I know it doesn't seem that way). What if you started PA pre-reqs slowly? I don't remember how slow they can be, but could you line things up to be ready to apply for 2019? I'd hate to see you pay for an MPH, do all the work, then realize you should have spent that time and money on PA pre-reqs because it's what you actually want to do. Plus, wouldn't that buy time to ease into things as you're trying to juggle craziness of very young children, often absent husband, demanding job....? If, in 10 years you want to be a PA, I wouldn't look for a stop-gap now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  I completely agree. 100%.

It's not like getting another Masters would be free. PA pre-reqs aren't so bad, and you can take them slowly. Start one at a time!!

As long as your pre-reqs are less than 5 years, you should be great anywhere, and you'd totally be in that time frame. I think it's a waste to get another Masters if it isn't what you want! Pre-reqs can be taken at a community college on the cheap. I did mine for about $100/credit hour.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'm in full encouragement of going down the path you really want to go down. If that is PA school, you will find a way to make it happen in a time that also works as best as possible.

I took 7 'gap years' before starting my occupational undergrad. I never started earlier because I hadn't found what I really wanted to do with my life. Once I found that there was no stopping me. I find passion makes study much more enjoyable and sustainable despite how grueling it is (this is the case with our beloveds isn't it?! &#128522.

I'm applying for post-grad OT via distance. I know it's daunting but I think in certain situations the benefits outweigh the negatives significantly.

Best of luck...although I'm sure you won't need it 😊

~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                      I love school. I want to be a PA and I want a masters. PA isn't in the cards right now, it's just not. It's to expensive and time consuming. Where would we get the money for that much nanny time if I'm not working? And furthermore, I don't know if I want to be away from my kids that much after (hopefully) quitting my grueling job.

I see what you're saying ST. But the flip side is that I'd have something that is mine. I didn't apply to various programs over the last 5 years because there was always something about DHs job, etc. This time, I'm just going to apply and figure it out later. I cried bitter tears when I got turned down by that job and has missed the application deadline by a week. I guess what I'm saying is that I lost the option by not applying. I don't want to do that again. I can always choose not to go.
                      This, this, this.

Comment

I have almost all the PA prereqs although I guess they'd be too old now. It's the 1000 hours of clinical experience you need before applying for all the schools in my state. I'm not keen to start taking classes I've already taken (the prereqs) if I don't have time to get the hours to apply before the classes will expire. Whereas I can finish a masters in that time and we can afford that because there's no nanny time required.

Anyway, what were people's experience with DE programs? Was the pace ok? Did you find it hard to get engaged? How much work per week was it?

Comment

Distance Learning Masters?

Okay, but the MPH will cost you $30,000 and two years of study. Even paying a nanny $25/hr, you are going to be out less to get your HCE.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I want you to achieve your dream. The masters doing something you ultimately don't want is such a waste of time and money.

So work toward PA or wait until you can. Enjoy the time with your girls.
                          Last edited by Vanquisher; 08-01-2015, 10:54 AM.
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Wait, am I misunderstanding? Are you talking about starting in a few years or now? On top of hell job, two toddlers, a physically absent husband, and an impending pregnancy? You're talking about later right?

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Starting whenever I can stop work (post-#3). So basically, I would hopefully start next fall when I've got a newish baby and the girls in preschool. We are considering homeschooling but not preschool - I can't provide the socialization and easygoing chaotic make believe stuff that they need. So, if the girls are in school, it would be nice to (slowly) be working on getting a degree. Education for education's sake is ok. I love school. This isn't just a means to an end.

Comment

Okay, gotcha. Because I was going to smack you over the head if you were going to start this fall

Oh and attendinghood is in 2018 at the soonest.
                                So yes fellowship?

Comment

Working...
                                X