Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Can I borrow a motivational pick me up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I borrow a motivational pick me up??

Soooo there's a bit of my journey floating around this forum...ok probably a bit more than 'a bit'.

Here's the rest of the context...

I'm in my final semester of my Australian Bachelor of Occupational Therapy undergrad degree (Honours).

I have a long road ahead to transfer my Australian Registration to the US. It took me 12 months just to find out how I could even get there.

I found one viable option.

Basically I need to complete US post-grad study, go through the extensive education equivalence process with the NBCOT, be approved to sit the NBCOT OTR exam once all eduction equivalence criteria are satisfied, then hope like hell I can find a job.

Annnnnnyway I have developed a very good relationship with the head of one post-professional OT doctorate program. Thankfully it is one of the top programs in the US. Due to other various intercontinental reasons that preclude me from other programs I am focusing on this program in the first instance.

So I've found the avenue, successfully sat my GRE, collaborated on the doctoral project topic with the program head, obtained a career advisor and an academic advisor, and found a scholarship avenue that will help with a portion of the tuition, and found my two referees.

But I'm dragging my feet on actually putting my application together (it's a rolling application submission)....I added in all my demographics a few weeks ago. It was a token effort.

I am not quite sure why I keep stalling. It's the only avenue I have to transfer my career to the US and given the program and the opportunities it's a darn brilliant one. But it's huge nonetheless and I think it scares the hell out of me and it's probably just feeling like years and years of climbing Mount Everest with no certainty that I will actually reach the peak of being able seek employment. The US academic system is pretty intimidating to me and I think I'm experiencing imposter syndrome.

(As a side note I also just got my first article submission rejected. While the feedback was invaluable it took the wind out of my sails a little bit so to speak).

I guess it's another situation I find myself in with no one around me here that can really relate to the complexities of the task at hand.

Hence I thought here would be a good place to borrow some motivation from if there's any up for grabs .

Thanks for reading my war and peace story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

You can do it!!

On the article submission, I'm a pro at rejections. My first papery was rejected 2 or 3 times from the first journal I submitted it to (first they asked me to revise it, then they rejected it), and that took over a year. On the second journal, I got a revise and resubmit, then finally they accepted it. I've never had a paper accepted outright, they've all been rejected at least once, sometimes many, many more times (I think one paper finally got accepted on the 4th journal/conference I tried). It helps to have a drink when you read the reviews, and sometimes talk to yourself or a close colleague about how the reviewers don't know anything, whether it's true or not. And then take the constructive feedback and improve it, ignore or deflect the unhelpful feedback, and then resubmit! I've got 26 journal papers now, so that's a LOT of rejections.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

[MENTION=4205]alotofyarn[/MENTION] thank you I had a conversation with the editor in chief when I presented at the national conference last month. She basically said authors must develop a thick skin. This is my first, first hand experience of this
      Thank you for the pick me up.

26, that's very impressive.

Now onto the post-grad application part.

You know those days you just need a hug from DF/DH this is one of them. Blaaaaaaah

~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

Comment

That's great that you have an avenue to get here. Unfortunately I have no advice other than "Go you! You CAN do it!"

Are there timelines and deadlines?

Wife of a PGY-6
        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Virtual hug from me! I don't have any advice, but I'm a procrastinator, and I know how you feel about "why don't I just get this done?" You'll get there!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Thank you
            Aiming for submission by end of September. Provisional acceptance usual comes about 6 weeks after submission. Final approval is contingent on my registration and final transcript being provided which should be available in Dec.
            pre req subjects can start in January but I also might need a 6 month breather. Not sure how many I have to do yet. Depends on application. Hope to matriculate to Doctrate either May or September 2016. It's approx 2 years in length. NBCOT exam and certification is an unknown. That's about the best timeframe I have 😊 hope that's what you meant.

Comment

Can I borrow a motivational pick me up??

[MENTION=1488]ladymoreta[/MENTION] I appreciate your virtual hug

I don't normally procrastinate though which is probably why I'm being hard on myself. Normally I get called a 'can do coconut' or something silly like that. Apparently Mount Everest makes me procrastinate 😉 will have to compartmentalise and make smaller mole hills out of my mountain. I'm pretty sure that is DFs approach to survive med school 😉

Comment

Oh wow that could be quick to get started! Good luck!

Wife of a PGY-6
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Thanks, yeah speedy start potentially. It's all a pipe dream until I do that application 😉

Comment

The US higher education system is intimidating and expensive and you need to complete a post grad degree for almost everything. It's very different.
                    I don't have much advice, I'm still working on my second undergrad since a lot of my coursework didn't transfer. It sounds like a complicated process but you'll be glad you did it!
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I'm so impressed by you already! You've already done the GRE, all but finished your program, done some excellent networking, and submitted an article. That's fantastic. And you know exactly the steps you need to go through to complete the process. Do you think it's bothering you that this is the last part of the whole process that is within your control? Because you can control whether or not you submit an application, but you can't control whether it is accepted. Once it's done, it's out of your hands. So would you rather be in control, and not achieve your goal, or let go of the control and make that final leap?

How about we hold you accountable here? Set some small targets for this week - what are you going to accomplish on the application by the weekend? Then we can check in here and help motivate you to continue. Just an idea - hope that helps!
                      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Thank you. [MENTION=4001]MsSassyBaskets[/MENTION]
                        I'm going to take a few steps this week that I can be held accountable for. I have to review this but my current plan for the end of this week is to:
                        - review the doctoral project summary provided by a previous graduate to gain and better understanding of the 'end goal'
                        - complete a plan for the personal essay section

Look forward to checking in with you all.

Thank you sooooo much

Comment

Awesome! Look forward to hearing how you do!
                          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

We'll be here to check up on you at the end of the week!
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Thank you I shall report back soon

Comment

Working...
                              X