Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Job Interview Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Interview Advice

Hi everyone
    So today I got the call that I've been waiting many months for...I've got an interview at a hospital about 50 minutes away to work full time in their Emergency Department as a Paramedic (my current commute as I've mentioned in previous posts is 2 1/2 hrs)!
    So, now that the shock has worn off, I'm getting nervous about all the logistics of an interview, etc. I've been at my current job for over 6+ years, so I haven't had to do this in a long time. It also scares me what my new schedule could be like compared to my SO, but I'll face that when I know more details after the interview!
    I'm here to ask your advice...what should I wear? Any advice or tips for answering those god awful interview questions like tell me about your weaknesses and what would you do if you disagreed with a supervisor, etc. lol Any help is much appreciated! I have a week from tomorrow to prepare!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    Paramedic and dog lover, girlfriend to an MS1, here to find friends and support during this journey

I don't always wear a suit to interviews, but I'd at least wear a dress with a nice sweater or trousers with a nice blouse - make yourself look professional! I don't know about questions, because I don't get asked those questions in my type of interviews, but there is a lot of advice online. Mostly, good luck!!
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
      I don't always wear a suit to interviews, but I'd at least wear a dress with a nice sweater or trousers with a nice blouse - make yourself look professional! I don't know about questions, because I don't get asked those questions in my type of interviews, but there is a lot of advice online. Mostly, good luck!!
      Thank you! I'm a little torn as to if I should wear long sleeves since it might look more professional? But It's also the middle of August so it's 80's and humid here! I never have a lot of good dress up clothes around since I never really need them, so of course now I have to go pick something up! I guess I can't complain to have a good excuse to go shopping
      Paramedic and dog lover, girlfriend to an MS1, here to find friends and support during this journey

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnea View Post
        Thank you! I'm a little torn as to if I should wear long sleeves since it might look more professional? But It's also the middle of August so it's 80's and humid here! I never have a lot of good dress up clothes around since I never really need them, so of course now I have to go pick something up! I guess I can't complain to have a good excuse to go shopping
        I usually do sleeveless with a cardigan.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

For the "biggest weakness" question, I try to keep my answer realistic and include an example of how I manage the weakness. Something like, "I'm not a naturally organized person, but over the years I've been able to develop an organization system using Outlook and Wonderlist that helps me manage information and stay on top of deadlines. It's helped me perform my job much more efficiently and since I'm not constantly overwhelmed I'm able to take on more projects." Something like that. Problem, solution, result.

For clothing I think a sleeveless blouse, blazer or cardigan, and slacks or skirt could look pretty cute! I saw something the other day that styling your hair in a deep side-part conveys a sense of power. I have no idea if that is true, but I think a deep side-part is flattering on almost everyone. I know this sounds weird, but I kind of enjoy interviews. I look at it as a way to meet new people, learn about them and a company, determine whether I think I'd fit in, and also sing my own praises a little bit. They can be kind of fun!

Comment

Any advice or tips for answering those god awful interview questions like tell me about your weaknesses and what would you do if you disagreed with a supervisor, etc.
            This was Business school, but we were taught the STAR model for behavioral interview questions. It worked pretty well

http://www.quintcareers.com/STAR_interviewing.html
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Thank you, Thank you! I love reading your ideas and tips! I've always been the type of person that has a hard time speaking highly about myself in front of others I don't know. I wish one of my good friends at work could just take the interview for me haha they'd probably answer better! But I least I have a week to organize and try and prepare myself. Do you guys print a copy of your resume and cover to bring along with you or is that something that isn't don't anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnea View Post
                Thank you, Thank you! I love reading your ideas and tips! I've always been the type of person that has a hard time speaking highly about myself in front of others I don't know. I wish one of my good friends at work could just take the interview for me haha they'd probably answer better! But I least I have a week to organize and try and prepare myself. Do you guys print a copy of your resume and cover to bring along with you or is that something that isn't don't anymore?
                I've taken many interviews the last couple years. I just had one in April, I wish I could remember what I said for biggest weakness. What I do know is I've started unabashedly stating a positive as if it's a weakness. In your field it might be "I just care for people so much I typically go above and beyond to help them. In my personal life I've had to work on establishing boundaries so it doesn't affect my emotional health"

For the where you do you see yourself in 5-10 years come up with a realistic goal for yourself and the apply it to their company. Even if you are 90% sure you won't be living there in 5 years use an actual goal and imagine how it could be implemented at that job.

Sit down and write a bio about yourself pretending you're highlighting someone that is not you. Use parts of that for your cover letter. Remember to try include one interesting piece of information in your letter that's not in your resume.

I usually bring 3-5 copies of my resume to interviews in a leather bound folder. When I arrive I take out the resumes and hand them to the panel. It's a little bit of a stalling tactic to make them think I'm relaxed. Smile, nod, say things like "here you go." The folder looks nice but I think I got it at Kinko's for $15. People in my field don't worry about or own professional looking accessories, so I always feel cool having it. When I was first taking interviews I'd refer to bullet point notes in that folder so I'd make sure to cover all the reasons why I was a strong candidate. And questions I wanted to ask to show that I was interested and serious about the job. It also allows you to write notes about things they say, to show them once again, you seriously want the job.

Go buy some clothes! Wear something professional but that makes you feel great, not uncomfortable. Husband always tells me to wear my expensive jewelry so they know I'm not a beggar. I don't think I've ever done that though.
                Last edited by MAPPLEBUM; 08-14-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                  I've taken many interviews the last couple years. I just had one in April, I wish I could remember what I said for biggest weakness. What I do know is I've started unabashedly stating a positive as if it's a weakness. In your field it might be "I just care for people so much I typically go above and beyond to help them. In my personal life I've had to work on establishing boundaries so it doesn't affect my emotional health"

For the where you do you see yourself in 5-10 years come up with a realistic goal for yourself and the apply it to their company. Even if you are 90% sure you won't be living there in 5 years use an actual goal and imagine how it could be implemented at that job.

Sit down and write a bio about yourself pretending you're highlighting someone that is not you. Use parts of that for your cover letter. Remember to try include one interesting piece of information in your letter that's not in your resume.

I usually bring 3-5 copies of my resume to interviews in a leather bound folder. When I arrive I take out the resumes and hand them to the panel. It's a little bit of a stalling tactic to make them think I'm relaxed. Smile, nod, say things like "here you go." The folder looks nice but I think I got it at Kinko's for $15. People in my field don't worry about or own professional looking accessories, so I always feel cool having it. When I was first taking interviews I'd refer to bullet point notes in that folder so I'd make sure to cover all the reasons why I was a strong candidate. And questions I wanted to ask to show that I was interested and serious about the job. It also allows you to write notes about things they say, to show them once again, you seriously want the job.

Go buy some clothes! Wear something professional but that makes you feel great, not uncomfortable. Husband always tells me to wear my expensive jewelry so they know I'm not a beggar. I don't think I've ever done that though.
                  That is wonderful advice! Thank you! There is so much to think about, I just don't want to get caught up overthinking anything so I can just relax and be myself! Although in the back of my mind I'm really hoping to get this job as it is the first interview I've had for a job that is somewhat close to where we moved for medical school. I've gotten countless other replies from applications saying I'm over qualified (which I think is crap personally haha) So I know I'm going to pressure myself to do well! I appreciate all of the feedback and will use it all wisely!!

Comment

Be prepared with some questions to ask at the interview, too. Interviewers almost always ask if you have any questions, and you should have some. It can be as simple as, "What do you like best about this job?" But I know that when I interviewed people and they had no questions for us, that was a huge red flag. They want you to want them too.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I'm so far behind around here, but just seeing this. Your interview is tomorrow? Good luck!!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                        I'm so far behind around here, but just seeing this. Your interview is tomorrow? Good luck!!
                        Yes it was today! Thank you for the good luck!
                        I think it went really well, although it was pouring rain (of course) so I had to deal with the nuisance of an umbrella. Sometimes I think looking like a wet dog would be easier haha
                        By the sounds of things I should know in the next week or two as they still have one more interview on Monday. But my fingers are crossed. There was one gentleman on the interview panel who was quite grumpy! He was very intimidating but everyone else was very welcoming and I don't think I could've done anything differently.
                        I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Hope you hear good news soon!
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Hi everyone, I haven't been on much to update anything since I've been so busy...but I did get the job! I actually had my first day of orientation at the hospital yesterday and I start my orientation shifts in the ER on Thursday. My new schedule will be 3 days a week, 10a-10p, with a 2 week rotation, working out to every other weekend off. So, I'm hoping with my new schedule my SO and I will be able to balance our time together so that he still has plenty of time to study and we still have time to enjoy each other. We've been trying to have some sort of "date night" each week whether we go out to dinner or do something special at home. It has really been helping me get through the long days during the week. I always feel better when I have something to look forward to! Thank you all for the well wishes during my interview process, I appreciate all of the support!

Comment

Congrats on the job! I'm glad you guys are getting to spend some time together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                              X