Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Continuing Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing Education

Seems like a few of us have gone back to school lately. What are you studying? How long is your program? What are your plans when you are done?

[MENTION=1164]reciprocity[/MENTION]
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
    Seems like a few of us have gone back to school lately. What are you studying? How long is your program? What are your plans when you are done?

[MENTION=1164]reciprocity[/MENTION]
    Yes! Great idea splitting this up!

I'm going back to school this fall for a one-year LLM at Cornell Tech focusing on startup law. I'm a little freaked out by the workload after a couple years of having a more laid-back schedule, but hopefully it will be at least a little fun so it doesn't all feel like work!!!
    - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

I'd actually love to go back to school. I miss being a student. I think I'm going to try to go back to Torah study in the Fall. I did it last Spring but had to drop out when the class schedule conflicted with my kids' schedules.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        I'd actually love to go back to school. I miss being a student. I think I'm going to try to go back to Torah study in the Fall. I did it last Spring but had to drop out when the class schedule conflicted with my kids' schedules.

I keep meaning to start attending Torah study and then never do...I've also considered doing an adult bat mitzvah class. We'll see.

I start my MSW in August! Full-time program, trying to decide if/how much I want to work (if my employer agrees to me going part-time). First year is class + 2 days of internship, second year is class + 3 days of internship. I hope to add a non-profit management certification while I'm there.

Comment

I graduated with my Master's of Public Administration in December. (I'm "walking" in May commencement so my parents can come - they really wanted to.)

I am for the time being really enjoying NOT being a student, but one of these days I'd like to take the "mini med school" course at the university.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
            I graduated with my Master's of Public Administration in December. (I'm "walking" in May commencement so my parents can come - they really wanted to.)

Wooo! Congratulations.

Comment

[MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION] you should do a class just for you. It gets easier each year. At some unique point for each family it tips in your favor. You'll have time for yourself someday. You're in the throes of it right now
              -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION] you should do a class just for you. It gets easier each year. At some unique point for each family it tips in your favor. You'll have time for yourself someday. You're in the throes of it right now
                I did that last spring and it was wonderful. I plan to go back next fall

Comment

I've got a voucher to use for a breakout session on CM. That's about the only formal learning I plan on doing ever again. I'm done with school.

Sent from Tapatalk
                  Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

It's occurred to me that I probably would have enjoyed a career in journalism more than I did law. I always loved the research and writing aspects of law, even the most tedious research and writing. I really disliked the BS of law; the hearings and closings and rainmaking. Even now, my genealogy research -- piecing together stories from newspaper clippings, public records, photographs, interviews, etc., fact checking, and then documenting the stories. It's a lot like journalism. But, to get into it at 40+yo? Some of you are writers. If I wanted to write, how would I go about it? I don't mean another mom blog or the great American novel. I mean more like freelance writing of articles or journal entries.

Comment

I've always wanted to write, too. I know it's probably more complicated than I'm thinking, but it seems like a good way to fit some work around the kids' schedules. I plan to take classes on a variety of writing styles once DD starts kindergarten. I'm hoping I can find classes online, but we have a good community college here that may offer some.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I bet [MENTION=1924]OrionGrad[/MENTION] is the best person to talk about freelancing. Although writing has typically been about 80%+ of my job, I've always been employed FT by an organization or consultancy.
                        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

A lot of newspapers have community voices type panels that contribute op-eds and the like. Neighborhood papers are usually also receptive to people who want to write stories. Neither of these are going to pay you though.

I come from a journalism family. Journalism is great, but the industry is in dire straits right now.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I'm so sorry I missed this until now! Some of you probably know I was a journalism major in college, worked for a magazine and a start up in NY while DH was in med school, then started freelancing full time in 2009. I LOVE the flexibility, and while I'm not getting rich or anything, the pay isn't as bad as most people assume.
                            I've sort of developed a niche for myself writing about digital marketing for small business. About 50% of my work is with publishers/media companies and 50% is with marketing agencies and tech firms. I write blog posts, white papers, and website content. I've never been into writing about myself, so mommy blogging isn't for me. 😉
                            If anyone ever has any questions about freelance writing, let me know!

Comment

Working...
                            X