Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If you Got a Do Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you Got a Do Over

What career would you have pursued if you got a do over?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Social work, only 10 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Anything but education!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I honestly do not know. I might have stayed and gotten my music ed degree instead of changing halfway through to secondary ed: English and history. However, I've been directing my children's choir at church for 18 years or so, taught many music classes at my homeschool co-op, and currently teaching music at my private school, so I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. At the time, music was all about opera and classical music. Now I could do other kinds of music. I've still toyed with the idea of going back, but do I really need to get the piece of paper. Financially, it wouldn't make sense. Still considering going to seminary.

Comment

I'm doing my do-over. Would have done it earlier. It's my spouse who really needs a do-over.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Orthodontist. Great money, good hours and low risks. I preach it to my kids all the time.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Great question...made me stop and think. I do not think I'd change anything. My career path has not been a straight line but all those loops have yielded experiences which have improved my effectiveness in what I do now. I rather think of this question more along the lines of what do I wish I could do once I retire...I'd like to run a B&B while growing grapes/making wine in Argentina.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

School Psychologist

Needs

Comment

I don't think I'd change anything.
                  Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

If I was going down a different path in life than the one I took (namely, not marrying someone about to go to med school) I might have pursued meteorology or started my own photography business. Accounting instead of MIS might have been an ok choice--it might have allowed for side work at this point in life.. Sometimes I wish I had done a third major of graphic design instead of European History, but I like my history degree too. So really, I'm okay with it. What I picked has served me well. I'm more excited for what I get to do next!
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

If you Got a Do Over

Med school. I think about it every day. And no, it's not in the cards at this point. I won't give up the time with my kids and I want to travel with my husband once they leave.

I think I would have made a great college professor too. I love being "an expert" and teaching people things. But only if they want to listen (or at least can pretend) so I couldn't teach young kids. I sometimes wonder if I could teach biology at a community college or something but I don't have any advanced degree that would qualify me.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I love numbers and excel, but something with animals or something outdoors..... perhaps in attendinghood when we move west and the babies are all in school. #daydreaming

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                        Grace

Comment

Classics professor.

Or...QUEEN OF THE WORLD AND EMPRESS OF THE PLANET!!! (I would have accepted a simple, "Your All-Gracious and Ever-Good and Supreme Highness.")

Comment

Even now with all of my qualms about freelancing I still can't put myself back at 16 taking a different direction. I'd flounder in any STEM field, there's no money in liberal arts, so it was smart to focus on where I had the most experience. Now that I have my schedule under control there are days when I'm filled with so much gratitude. I'm an educator but I work a fraction of the time as school teachers. There's minimal bureaucracy and my families are great. My students are great. There's little variation to what I do, but I'm lucky to have a wide range of ages, populations, and ability. There still is the ever present sense of "where do I go from here?" Probably a doctorate in education. I've thought so much about how to approach the next possible move, and while I still lack answers, it's making less and less sense to try to switch fields entirely. I've been building my career since I first picked up the cello. I'm fortunate to have such roots in my career. The question is how do I continue to grow?

I'm always sunshine and rainbows on my day off.

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                            Classics professor.

Or...QUEEN OF THE WORLD AND EMPRESS OF THE PLANET!!! (I would have accepted a simple, "Your All-Gracious and Ever-Good and Supreme Highness.")

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              I'm more excited for what I get to do next!
                              And what is that?

[MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION] haha yes the world is always rosier when you have enough time off to appreciate! So glad your schedule is so in check compared to a year ago!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                              Grace

Comment

Working...
                              X