Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I've made a new resolve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've made a new resolve

I've got one more year minimum of operating my business and I have resolved to try and *love* my job instead of spending so much time hating it and b****ing about it. I sort of had an epiphany the other day--I had just met with a potential new client (who decided to sign with me) and she was asking me all kinds of billing and insurance questions to which I knew intelligent responses. For once in kind of a long time I felt sort of smart (I always made good grades in high school and college but over the last several years I haven't felt very intellectual). Anyhow, I was driving home and I was in such a good mood and I realized I'm creating a lot of misery for myself by focusing on the negative aspects of my job. I think part of it is that I don't have a choice whether or not to do it right now, which leaves me feeling trapped. But there are parts of my job that I get a lot of gratification out of and I might as well focus on that instead of thinking how unjust it all feels. Anyhow, ever since then I feel like I've had a huge attitude adjustment and I am in a much better mood. Thought I'd share since hubby is on call this weekend and I've got to tell somebody!!!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Sue, glad to hear you've gained a new positive perspective on your job. Actually I didn't realize you were unhappy about it. I thought you were happy having a work-from-home job. I hope to be able to do the same one day if I ever finish my medical transcription course!

I know my sister who works for IBM from home has all kinds of gripes about it, mainly during the summer when her daughter is home and she is frequently distracted and interrupted. Is that the hardest part of working from home (still having to shuffle between job & children) or do you just not enjoy the work anymore?

Anyway, I have been selling Six Flags tickets on ebay this past week for my brother-in-law and between answering email questions, doing the listings, keeping inventory and getting stuff sent out in a timely manner, I have been feeling like I have an at-home job, too. It has been exciting and busy and I've actually enjoyed working with "clients." I miss interacting with everybody out in the working world!

Comment

I would say your assessment of the negative aspect of working from home is correct--it isn't so much the job as it is trying to constantly shuffle and switch gears between the kids and the job. I've seen my girls role-playing several times where my oldest daughter pretends to be the mom and she tells Syd she has to work and that she will play with her later and it makes me feel sooooo guilty that that is how they see me--constantly putting them off because I have work to do. It's true though--since I work from home it is really hard to get away from it so I'm always slipping upstairs trying to accomlish something when I really should be focusing on them. Lately I have been better about turning off my computer and waiting until they go to bed or waiting until they are at mother's day out. Since Mitchell has arrived, I've gotten way more organized and he has kind of forced me to take a step back and reassess the way I'm doing things. When things are going smoothly, I might tell the girls I need 30 minutes or so to make phone calls and I'll leave them to an activity and I make myself stop after that 30 minutes and go back to them and give them my undivided attention.
      It isn't all negative--I'm so thankful that this situation has worked for me so that I don't have to send my kids to daycare all day. I know that situation works for some and I don't want to criticize those who have full-time jobs outside the home but I really didn't want that for myself. I love having complete autonomy over my schedule--if I want to take the kids to the zoo for the day I have nobody to answer to but myself. I do have a sense of pride that I created this business and am actually making money. I know my husband is happy I'm doing it because it takes some of the financial pressure off of him.
      Sorry for the long winded post--I'm so glad to hear that you didn't pick up on my negativity about my business because sometimes I worry that I whine and complain about it too much.
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Sue,

Your post is inspiring me-- I enjoy my job but there are times that I get lazy about it, or complain too much about it, especially about the things I don't have control over. I'm realizing there are several things I DO have control over and by adjusting those, I can make myself happier. Mindset is a huge part of it too.

Congrats to you for figuring it out early and sharing it with us!

Comment

Working...
        X