Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

starting school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting school

I know that this is early, but I just received my son's school orientation packet in the mail. Do any of you BTDT parents have any ideas for a successful start of the school year? His school phases kids in slowly over a two week time table gradually acclimating the new kids into the environment for increasingly longer periods of time with more classmates. (Ummmmm....great idea but thank the lord that I'll be on maternity leave.) His school is kind of granola-y so his school supply lists includes a plant for him to care for and slippers to wear in the class room. My, my, how school has changed.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice, anecdotes, wisdom on how to help him transition as smoothly as possible. In truth, he will do fine, but his mommy will have to deal with her separation anxieties.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

What's BTDT? My mind keeps reading that as "Born To Do This" parents. Is that it?
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Wait, it's "Been There Done That," isn't it? It's funny how you figure things out the minute you ask about them.

I'm still going to enjoy anticipating becoming a "Born To Do This" parent.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Re: starting school

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
        His school is kind of granola-y so his school supply lists includes a plant for him to care for and slippers to wear in the class room. My, my, how school has changed.
        That cracks me up! Let me guess, montessori? Very cute.
        Is he starting kindergarten or pre-K? Bryn starts pre-K this year at a new school and I, like you, have more anxiety about it than she. Since moving, I have been really impressed by her flexibility in new situations and meeting new friends so I think that school will be ok. One thing that has helped before in starting a new classroom, etc is visiting a few days before -- especially if the school has organized something. We went to visit her school a few weeks ago (classroom wasn't being used in the summer) and just seeing the room and the playground was huge for her.
        The thing I can't get over is that next year she will be in kindergarten. 8O

Comment

Yes....it is a Montessori Children's House attached to a Montessori grammar school. Technically, it is "preschool" but he will be in the same classroom with the same kids and teacher next year for extended all day kindergarten. The 3 and 4 year olds go 5 days a week for three hours in the morning, so it is a little more than traditional preschool, which is why we waited until he was 4. (Alright, I confess, I was not ready to have my baby go to school 5 days a week at 3.)

Still, DH and I have a small modicum of worry because our son is a typical four year old boy...loves to jump, run, crash into things, and occasionally has a hard time focusing and listening. The kids at this school seem so well behaved. I hope that he has the maturity to excel in this environment. I don't want his first school experience to be negative. Of course, his "boistorous" behavior would be an issue in any classroom.

It is great that Brynn does so well meeting other kids. I'm sure that she will do fantastic at school.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

It's amazing to me how those Montessori teachers whip kids into shape in the kindest, touchy-feeliest of ways. Way, way, (way!) back, I used to babysit for an "all-boy" boy (very energetic and full of curiousity) who went to Montessori when he was 4 and 5. He *loved* it and did very well with it. His favorite activity was cleaning up. I think it was the routine and being able to do adult things with kid sized equipment.

Comment

Some advice.....

Take him with you when you shop for his supplies and let him help you when it is feasible (choosing the color, etc.). Do some morning run-throughs, schedule-wise, well before the big day to see how things go. Let him pick out an outfit to wear the first day, choosing from three already approved choices if clothing battles are an issue at your house.

My kids always especially enjoy picking out a new backpack/lunchbox, so if you want to get the other supplies without a "helper", at least let him pick those two things.

Make sure and take a picture of him before you take him the first day! Have kleenexes ready for yourself in the car, especially since you will be hormonal. The first day, once you drop him off, leave as soon as possible (if he is okay) so that the teacher can establish his/her domain and routine. My oldest always picks up on my stress, sadness, discomfort, whatever, so if yours is the same, get a grip on your emotions and don't let go until you are out of his sight. (I don't mean that to sound harsh.....it's just what I have to do.)

It is a big step! The first time is the hardest, but I have to say that I get a lump in my throat with every first day, and I have been doing this for a while.

He is going to have such a good time and have some wonderful experiences.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I have a first grader and a pre schooler going back on Aug 9!!! They start so early here. I think I will take Sally's advice on taking them shopping with me for just a few things that they need to get them "geared up". I have to admit too that as much as I am excited for them and a new year, new school, new friends, I will probably go home and cry after they both get settled. My daughter, 4, is so nervous to start pre school and doesn't want me to talk about it. We have a meet the teacher night next Tues so I am hoping that helps her get excited! When does everybody else start back???

Comment

August 9th....... 8O 8O 8O

Man...we don't start until Sept. 3rd or something awful!!!!

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                  X