Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Somebody smack me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody smack me...

I was all hot to sign up for classes for the spring semester. I only have school Tues/Thurs and I need to study today. I can't seem to tear myself away from the *#@&#%^ internet! :chat:

*sigh* rant over

What are you taking? I'm always toying with the idea of going back for my Master's, but haven't taken the step of actually signing up for classes.
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Geography and genetics. I only need genetics, but I thought geography would be fun too. (and it actually is! I love making maps - and I am actually ahead in that class )

What kind of master's were you thinking? Do you want to continue in OT or go into another field altogether? I have to say, it is VERY nice to get out of the house and exercise my brain once in a while.

Comment

I definitely do not want to continue training in OT. The way healthcare is these days, I would become so frustrated at having to discharge patients before I felt they were ready since lots of carriers would really want to skimp on patient's therapy benefits.
        Mostly, I consider getting my Master's in Library Science, but last night my dh and I got all caught up in discussing my future and had me applying to either dental or law school! I want a lucrative job that I can do part-time while my kids are still kids. Does such a job exist? I always drift into healthcare and social service type jobs, which pay next to nothing!
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Sue, I know what you mean! I too want a lucrative job that I can do part-time while my kids are still kids. Here are the two options I have come up with:

Teaching - either part time at a local community college or as a substitute in the local public schools. Not very lucrative, but at least I could really only work when I wanted to.

Physician Assistant - would have to go to school for 2 or 3 years for this depending. This is my current plan, but right now and for the next five years we wont be living by a PA school. I think you can have a lot of flexibility with this job and it can be pretty lucrative.

So, for now, while my daughter is not in school, I am staying home with her. Good luck with whatever you decide.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Chris...... SMACK Get off the computer and study!

Sue, Have you looked into any graduate OT programs....that sounds like a great plan!

Originally posted by hlj25950
            Sue, I know what you mean! I too want a lucrative job that I can do part-time while my kids are still kids. Here are the two options I have come up with:

Teaching - either part time at a local community college or as a substitute in the local public schools. Not very lucrative, but at least I could really only work when I wanted to.
            Man, you can say THAT again! The current rate is $1000/semester hour for the entire semester. I get credit for 2 semester hours which means ~500/month before taxes. After the taxman gets his share (we are taxed at a high rate) there isn't much left!

PA school does sound enticing doesn't it. I've been doing a lot of thinking about careers because I am not satisfied with where I am at...I have time to decide, but it definitely is something to consider.
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

If you are looking for a lucrative part time career, think twice about law. Part time in private practice is considered 30-35 hours per week. Most women I know who have found a good balance in the law are in government jobs, which are usually less lucrative.

Comment

Working...
              X