Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of Retirement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Retirement...

I gave my job notice today as well.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Wow. That will certainly cut down on your stress! Good for you--they treated you so poorly-- Are you ok with this decision?
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm sorry it had to come to that, Kris, but it sounds like this will be better for you.

BTW-- are you still teaching German? How is it going?

Comment

Wow, Kris. How did they take it? Good for you, that job has been a drain on you for a long time. Before you know it, another door will open.

Comment

I felt stuck and I was tired of hearing myself complain about it.

After a roller coaster of more of the same crap this semester, I finally just had enough. It all came to a head when the TAs decided basically on a mutiny because of all of the crappy changes to the lab manual etc that my boss had made. They decided that they were going to do everything 'their' way. I went to my boss and explained to him what was happening and it resulted in him basically taking back over (he had given me the control of the TAs for exactly 1 week ).

Earlier in the week, my boss had asked me if I had done a master's with a research thesis or just a little paper or test. I responded that I had done a research thesis and so I went and dug it up. Honestly, I haven't looked at it since I finished it becaues it was such a painful process . I read through it and realized that I didn't even know what I'd done anymore...I could even understand my own thesis anymore. It's as if someone else did all of that work! It really depressed me! I realized that my greatest challenge now is to make sure that I have the potatoes to the lab on time for the tyrosinase lab. I brought my thesis in today to show him...I felt like I had to prove myself.

Today he ran the meeting again with the TAs and afterwards I picked Alex up and brought him home to Thomas and my mil and then went back in to talk to him. I basically said that I wanted him to hear it from me first but that I wasn't going to be coming back in the Fall. I explained that I would fulfill my obligation to the dept. chair to teach for him in the summer but that it would be it. He wouldn't look at me while I was talking to him and so I finally had to tell him "look at me". I told him that I felt that he didn't want me to be a part of the class and that there was currently no real role for me. He said nothing. I added that I felt that I was even in his way....he kind of stammered that I wasn't, but I told him taht I saw it differently. "I have taught the class for 3 years now through 4 different professors and I have an opinion now about how the class should be run. There is no room for my opinion anymore" He said nothing....but kept changing the topic and was very uncomfortable. I told him that I felt like a glorified TA without 'the glory' and he told me "that is your job description, basically!". I don't want to be a glorified TA.

I am ok with it...I see this as....(bare with me, I'm trying to be positive here) ... an opportunity. This is my chance to take some more chemistry classes if I want and prepare for some future opportunity to get my PhD? or God knows what....maybe I'll just become a montessori teacher.

Thomas is very, very upset with me for doing this......He thinks I'm off my rocker and that I should have sucked it up for the extra spending money and to simply 'have something' because he knows how frustrated I am here in the middle of nowhere. I think he's just afraid that this opens the doors again to the "we live in the middle of nowhere" discussion...and unfortunately, he's right....

Comment

Kris, you hung in there with them for a long, long time and gave it your best. It sounds like you feel good about your decision and I think it is great.
            Sometimes freeing yourself up does bring in new opportunities.
            Give yourself a pat on the back!

Comment

Kris, no amount of spending money is worth giving up your dignity. I guarantee if Thomas were in the same situation, he would not enjoy getting crapped on!

I think he's just afraid that this opens the doors again to the "we live in the middle of nowhere" discussion...and unfortunately, he's right....
              Wait - you mean this subject was closed?

And about your ex-boss...ugh. :disappointed: Does this mean you are going to be there through the summer? Ow.

Comment

Good for you!!! I vote for NOT doing the summer. You deserve respect here, and they are just using you. If a glorified TA is your job description, then let them hire a TA.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                  I told him that I felt like a glorified TA without 'the glory' and he told me "that is your job description, basically!". I don't want to be a glorified TA.

I am ok with it...I see this as....(bare with me, I'm trying to be positive here) ... an opportunity. This is my chance to take some more chemistry classes if I want and prepare for some future opportunity to get my PhD? or God knows what....maybe I'll just become a montessori teacher.
                  You know, this really sucks a fat one. Our school's program for the advancement of women in science would have a field day with this whole situation. And they wonder why highly intelligent and capable women are underrepresented in the higher levels of science. There's a book called Why So Slow that you might be interested in, it's about the influences that lead to women being poorly represented in the higher levels of all organizations. I've only skimmed one chapter and it got me riled but my favorite professor said it absolutely changed her life.

Good luck facing your new world of opportunity head on. The world is your oyster and the choices are endless, but the right one will come along. This might be the wrong time to ask, but whatever happened to this train of thought: http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/vie ... php?t=2582 ?
                  Alison

Comment

Sounds like it was a tough thing to do, Kris, but you followed your heart and everything else will fall into place.

Comment

I am sorry, Kris, that your professor didn't realize what a treasure he had in you. Or maybe he did, and was too intimidated to let you work to your potential. Either way.....it's his loss and your gain. I really believe that something else is going to come your way. Don't get discouraged, just try to enjoy the time away from the stress you were feeling in that position.

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for the support. Honestly guys, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed...but I do feel relieved and positive. I think I had outgrown this position. I don't know what is coming next, but I feel like I have to be positive...I wish it had worked out differently, but since it didn't, there is no sense in me staying in a position where I feel unhapy. I also think it is the best thing for the class. The professor wants to make sweeping changes and I am in the way because I do things differently......and that's ok.

kris

Comment

Kris --I must reiterate!!! GOOD FOR YOU! They really don't deserve you. All kinds of smart people get used up as skilled labor in the underworld of science labs; so many of them get no respect at all from the people in charge. It really disgusts me. I'm glad you stood up for yourself. I am sure you will find something better-if that is your choice- when you have a little time to decompress.
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thanks. You know...this is a funny coincidence, but Friday evening I got an email in my box from a company that I had written AP biology test questions for offering me another opportunity...and paying me 3 times what they had paid me the first time. It was really such a weird coincidence!

Also...I didn't want to say anything, but I"m currently working to cooridinate the expansion of the germanic-american institute from st. paul to St. Cloud (a St. Cloud branch). This inolves organizing a german language program here as well as the social groups etc......The opportunity arose just last week and I snatched it thinking that I needed to keep as many doors open as possible....The goal is to have the Saturday school here up and running by next fall and to have an immersion school here within the next 3 years.

I'm also co-teaching/assistant teaching out at the germanic american institute on Saturday mornings when my kids are in class along with my evening class here.....

Who knows....I think I'm going to let life lead me for awhile instead of always trying to plan everything.

Comment

Kris, that's great news. Sometimes you have to wait a long time for a great opportunity to come along, but it looks like this happened pretty fast! Sounds like the German program will keep you quite busy.

I am sorry your job didn't work out, though. I know you were persistent and tried to be very flexible for them. It's sad that they didn't appreciate you and I'm so proud of you for taking a stand and leaving.

Keep us posted on your new endeavors!

Comment

Working...
                              X