Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Has anyone quit work at end of maternity leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone quit work at end of maternity leave?

Hi all-

Well, I never thought I would do this, but we've decided that I'm not going back to work at the end of my maternity leave. It is supposed to end July 14, although the last week of that is a week of vacation I tacked on to make maternity leave a week longer.

Has anyone had to go in and quit after making this decision? I'm just wondering how much notice you gave your employer and how it all worked out. I am absolutely dreading doing it. I don't like my job, so I'm definitely not going to miss it...and I don't think my boss will be terribly surprised, but I can't help feeling bad that I'm leaving.

Any advice?

I did. After baby #1 was born I decided that I couldn't go back. I gave them only a...few days notice.... I thought I could go back, but I just couldn't force myself.

In any case, I went in and personally talked with my boss. She was understanding and professional about it. I explained that I had really thought I would make it back but that my life had changed and I just wanted to spend the time at home.

It didn't negatively affect my future recommendations.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think it's fine and happens a fair amount. One thing to check into, some places (esp school districts) require you to come back to work otherwise you have to repay benefits you received while on leave. For example, you would be billed for any health insurance premium they paid, that sort of thing. If that is the case, you might have to go back for only a day. Worth checking out!
      I've only heard of that from two teacher friends. Maybe it's part of their contract?

Good luck!

Comment

I have known several nurses who came back and after one or two weeks decided they could'nt do it. Maybe this was for the benefits, etc. It may be a good idea to go back and "pretend" you are trying - then quit.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I did it with baby #1 with minimal guilt. The only maternity leave I got was the sick leave I'd accrued (which was piddly) so I didn't tell them until I'd used up all of my paid time off. I called my boss and told her I wanted to set up a meeting with her--I think she sensed what I was going to do and actually wrangled my resignation out of me over the phone. I felt a little un-professional quitting over the phone but there wasn't any sense in leaving her in suspence. There was a part-time girl chawing at the bit to go full-time so I knew I wasn't going to be putting them in a crunch, otherwise I might have handled it differently. It isn't unheard of not to go back after the baby arrives, so unless there is a special circumstance that warrants a brief return, I wouldn't worry about it.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Congratulations on your big decision! I remember looking into this for a coworker and finding out that she would have to work 30 days after maternity leave or else she'd be liable for insurance premiums paid. Just check out this aspect carefully.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Ok, I've read the policy stuff they gave me over and over--there's nothing that specifically states what I'm looking for (in regards to what someone said about the possibility of me having to pay back insurance if I don't go back...) but all I've found are two slightly related items:

-the first says that my benefits continue during leave as long as I'm still paying into them (which I am)

-the second says that if I fail to return to work at the end of the leave, it is classified as a voluntary termination.

So since it specifically mentioned "the end of leave" it makes me think that I'm covered all the way through--does that sound right to anyone? Now I'm paranoid!

Comment

Could you make an anonymous call to the HR dept -- or a call that at least wouldn't get back to your boss?
                My friend who was working as a teacher said she would have had no idea that she needed to go back one day (one day!) if it hadn't been for an HR person who went out of the way to tell her. (She had no idea that could happen, so I don't think she looked through the employment handbook).

Comment

Working...
                X