Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Creating my first CV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating my first CV?

I am almost finished with my MS and am hoping to apply for a part-time teaching job at a local university when we move. I have actually never had to put together a professional CV before. Can anyone give me some suggestions or tell me how they have done theirs?

Kris
    The Medical Spouse Network

Hi Kris-

I used the preformatted version on Word. It was essentially fill in the blanks. I have also used versions from some resume writing guides I have purchased at book stores. Reading some of the books out there can help you tailor what you send to the kind of place you are sending it to. (does that make sense?)

In my field, because I know that they are usually computer illiterate and don't normally have decent word processing programs, the pre-formatted ones work. If I were going for a job that required a specific set of job skills, or that is more sophisticated than the social services arena usually is, I would do some research.

Also, those large online job support/ job search sites can help- http://www.monster.com comes to mind.

Hope this helps-

Jenn

and FYI- having changed jobs every 2 years since grad school- the resume writing and sending is the worst part. My brother wants to decorate a bar in his house some day with all of the rejection letters he received!
    DO NOT get discouraged.

Comment

Well, I didn't even think about going to someplace like monster.com. Maybe even one of the science websites has a good CV sample...this will be a good question for me to ask Kaaren!

My Works program has a CV, but I'm not crazy about it. I am going to look at the word program when I go into the lab tonight.

Thanks for the tips....and papering the bar with all of his rejections? Oh boy...I'm going to have to toughen up a bit, I think!

Kris

Comment

Well- he was applying to all of the baseball teams in the United States for a marketing position. He was literally rejected by every major league and minor league team, including those non even affiliated with a major league team, with one exception. Now that's a lot of rejection!

Jenn

Comment

Actually, that is really kind of cool believe it or not. I think he should open up his own baseball sports bar and then hang up all of those as decorations...the way they hang up pics at TGIF or other places...that would be such a hoot!

Uhhh...did he end up getting a job somewhere after all of that?

Kris

Comment

Kris, I just came across a CV tutorial page that you might be interested in. It's at...

studentdo.tripod.com/id60.htm

Comment

Robin,

I just checked out that link...it is GREAT! Thank you so much! It is exactly what I am looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for pointing me in that direction...would you believe I didn't even think of doing a web search :rolleyes!

Kris

Comment

Kris-

Actually he did get a job with an affiliated minor league team and then went to work for a National Hockey League team. He's decided that he needs an MBA to go any further so he quit major league sports for a while (they require evenings and weekends) and is going back to school and doing 'regular' marketing in the short term. It was kinda cool whileit lasted though.

Jenn

Comment

Kris - I can't add much about a paper CV, but can recommend lots of science career websites! The place to start looking is biomednet (http://www.bmn.com) - their careers section (click on the tab marked 'science jobs') has loads of web links to career searching sites, as well as one of their own. Start there, and also try monster.com and biospace.com.

That said, I got my current job from a listing in the student employment office (by total and complete fluke!). So don't forget low-tech. =)
                  Let me know if you want any more pearls of job-hunting wisdom. I think you'll be quite the desirable commodity, though, since molecular is the thing these days.
                  Kaaren

Comment

Working...
                  X