Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Looking for a job SUCKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a job SUCKS!

Really not much more to elaborate on than that! I'm starting that dreaded process of finding a job & it SUCKS!!!!!

Wendy,

Best of luck to you. I know that it is easy to be discouraged. It took me a 7 months to find my first job and I didn't get hired until the last week of professional school. Then I had to move and become a member of ANOTHER state bar. (READ: I REALLY LOVE MY HUSBAND TO ENDURE SUCH TORTURE!) Anyway, this forced job change turned out to be such a blessing as my current part time job pays well, is more professionally rewarding, & allows me a ton of time to be with my family. So believe in yourself and be discriminating about the job that YOU pick. I don't know where you are in your career but they say that after your first job, the rest are easier to find because of your experience. GOOD LUCK!!!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

and having done it every 2 years since grad school- believe me- I can feel your pain. But think of it as an adventure. I also made sure to apply for jobs I was sure I was in no way qualified for- but that sounded interesting, on the off chance that someone would bite. No one ever has, but I do it anyway. What the hey- might as well keep those bizarre job hopes up, too.

Comment

I think this says it best:
        Quote: "I REALLY LOVE MY HUSBAND TO ENDURE SUCH TORTURE! "

For as much as I dislike the job search process, I do actually have a few things going for me. The biggest of these is that I am a nurse and it is a good time to be a nurse. There are jobs to be had everywhere. I've been a nurse for 7 years, so I don't have that "new-grad" problem to battle. The problem I do have to battle is that I am completely burned out on bedside care and want more of an office type setting (normal hours!). That narrows the job opportunities down a bit, but they are still there. I have also been told by past employers that I interview well. I took a class on job interviewing once-- money well spent! So, it isn't really as bad as I feel like it is sometimes- I just have to sit back & think logically to remember this.

I think it all boils downs to this for me: I want/crave/need a certain amount of predictability and regularity to my everyday life. Having to do a long distance job search because of a long distance move kind of throws predicatability and regularity to the wind. I think the job search part of it just gives me a place to focus my general stress level toward the situation.

I do like the idea of applying for a job I have no chance of getting. I think I'll try that!

Wendy
        Edited by: wkelley2001  at: 7/10/01 6:06:16 am

Comment

Any luck with the job search? (Do I dare ask?) Have you considered going back to school and getting your NP or anything?

My mom got burned out on bedside care and changed over to home health for ten years...she really loved it....is something like that an option for you?

Kris
          The Medical Spouse Network

Comment

I didn't realize your mom was a nurse! I did some Home Health on a prn basis for about 2 years. Maybe I would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't lived in Dallas/Ft Worth. The constant battle with the traffic almost sent me over the edge! It really isn't my favorite thing to go into strangers houses at night, anyway- sometimes it was just downright scary. I'd really like to have a relatively normal 8-5 schedule. I function very well under that kind of structure in my life. it tends to wrok pretty well for Dave & I as well, so my goal is to find a job that will have more or less that kind of hours.

I made some phone calls last Friday and talked to the people at the Health Department. It sounded kind of promising & would give me some public health experience that would be helpful when I completed my Master's--- in Public Health

As for the NP... doesn't really interest me to be perfectly honest. Sometimes I feel like I chose the wrong profession when I start thinking of the areas of nursing that I like vs. the areas that I don't like.

Wendy

Comment

Working...
            X