Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Distance Learning Experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance Learning Experience...

Well, Rachel, my dl experience is limited to two courses that I took through Iowa State University....One of them rivaled all of my graduate level on-campus courses. I didn't find them to be isolating...much to the contrary, I found that I had 10 times the contact with the professors than I did on-campus....regrettably, not face-to-face, but much more....personal. One of the courses that I took required group work and we were paired up with other graduate students and had to meet in chat-rooms, etc to put together projects. It was really neat to meet people from all corners and to come together and try to pull together a virtual project! I got to know other people in the class and really enjoyed the entire experience...it is definately something that I'd do again...as a matter of fact, I'm registering for a dl class this spring...

As a non-traditional student (ie wife with three kids) I find the format much easier to manage. I can listen to lectures via streaming audio when the kids are in bed....I took an on-campus course at UF that was also offered in the dl format...I took it in an on-campus format...but all of our lectures were video-taped and the dl students took the same exams and had the same requirements as we did. If I had to miss a class, I simply logged on and listened to the virtual lectures....My other courses had lectures via streaming audio and you downloaded outlines of the notes to add to and follow along.

I think that technology will play an increasing role in academics and that it can offer the same quality as a face-to-face situation......I would never do away with the on-campus face-to-face format, but I think that distance learning definately has a spot in education for the self-directed student.

blah,blah, blah

Kris

oooooooops...this was supposed to be a response, not a new thread...sorry!

Comment

I took an online course at the same time I took a regular course with the same school. I was thrilled with either of them and ended up dropping the program altogether. That said, my aunt just completed her MBA through a distance learning program and thought it was great. She made good friends through the program and got a huge raise once she was finished.

I guess it depends on how motivated your are (I was NOT) and whether you 'need' the degree (again- I had a Master's, this was a second one) and how disciplined you can be.

I think it's great for those who can do it!

Jenn

Comment

I took 5 Master's level courses via distance learning. For the most part it was a pretty good experience. Some of the instructors were far more computer capable than others and that made a big difference. There were weekly chat times and it turned into a laborious process if the instructor wasn't particularly computer savvy. It also made a difference as to waht course was taught. Medical Ethics worked beautifully over the internet, Biostatistics did not.

I would do it again under the right circumstances.

wendy

Comment

Working...
        X