Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Working Christmas Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Christmas Day

I have to work Christmas Day. Kind of a bummer, but honestly, I've done it for 5 of the 7 years I've been a nurse, so it isn't a big deal anymore. It's just Dave and I, so it isn't that important to do the Christmas morning opening gifts thing.

One of my patients that I see a lot gave me a gift today. Sweet little old lady- 85 years old. I can't imagine what it is- she barely gets out of her recliner! She was very adamant that I not open it until Christmas. You really have to love being appreciated for the job you do!

wendy

Wendy,

I'm sorry that you don't have Christmas day proper off. Your patients are fortunate that you put their needs before your own desire to spend the holiday in your home with your family. Your dedication is probably why this sweet woman gave you a gift.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Wendy-

I can completely commiserate with you. I can't even count the holidays I've either been on-call or working! I'm on-call this year, too, but luckily most of the group homes will be closed. I have one house that will be occupied.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

Rick is working Christmas Eve- he'll be home sometime on Christmas morning so we won't be having the am present exchange either. (unless the Christmas miracle this year is no kids in the PICU, NICU or ward...not likely!)

Jenn

Comment

Ok Kelly, you're goving me way too much credit! I don't really work Christmas Day out of the goodness of my heart, I do it because I'm the low man on the totem pole and that's how it works in the nursing world.

Actually, it was kind of fun when I worked in the PICU-- we got to play Santa Claus for the the kids. All these companies and people would donate money and gifts that we would get to hand out Christmas morning. We usually did it before the parents were allowed in in the mornings & would just tell them that Santa had stopped by. The staff would also make it fun by having the 12 Hours of Christmas. Everyone would breing 12 $1 gifts that we would put in a red wagon. Each hour the wagon went around and each person picked out a gift. You could barter for other people's gifts if you wanted, but the fun was figuring out what to do with what you got. There were always men that got pink nail polish and other "girlie" items. It really was a fun way to deal with having to be at work that day.

Wendy

Comment

Working...
        X