Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Just give me strength...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just give me strength...

Wow- I haven't had a day like this in a very long time...

We had our annual survey by the state at one of the group homes- a huge pain in the butt. The surveyor got a hold of one of my former staff's criminal histories and then tried to slam me with it. There are very specific things that preclude being hired and his offense (for which he was never convicted) was not on the list. She kept trying to tell me that robbery, burglery and theft were all the same thing. So, I had to get our QA person to pull the info from the Texas Register to prove my point. I love being right. and if I didn't occasionally use my discretion as the Director to hire people who made stupid mistakes in their past- well, I'd be working a whole lot more direct care, that's for sure!

Then I had two reportable incidents which will require a full investigation and follow-up from the state. Luckily, neither of them are the result of anything that my staff did or didn't do!

Then at midnight last night I was paged, and needless to say three pages later and a phone call to the Police- 4 disciplinary actions and two hysterical staff- plus the fact that this one isn't even one of my houses but one of my co-workers which I agreed to cover so she could go away...it was a long and ugly night. On the plus side- rick was post-call and slept through the entire thing. Although at one point he sat up and asked me "How's he doing? What are his sats?"

anyway- I went straight to the gym and now I'm throwing myself in the shower and I'm going to bed.

Jenn

I swear, whoever thinks carrying a pager is Fun obviously doesn't have to carry one!

What a hectic day! I hope you get some much needed rest!

How do you and your husband both handle life with pagers?

Jennifer
    Needs

Comment

Actually- I get paged way more than he does during 'off' hours. He obviously gets paged a lot while at the hospital but my staff can call me directly when I'm at the office.

I'm much more rested today- I slept until 8am!

Jenn

Comment

Jennifer---

I honestly do NOT know how you do it. I would crack or tell someone where I thought s/he could go if they were behaving like imbeciles. I honestly admire how you guys keep it together with to hard charging careers. You go girl.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kelly-

There are days that I send myself to the group homes to hang out with the guys so that I can remember why I do this! The staff are ALWAYS the biggest problem. If we have behavior problems, 90% of the time it's because staff aren't listening to them, following instuctions or don't understand the diagnosis. If we have injuries, 90% of the time it's because staff weren't paying attention. If I'm over budget, 90% of the time it's becuase someone decided they didn't feel like going to work and I had to send someone in on overtime.

If only my clients could run their own homes!!

Jenn

Comment

I have only been involved in child care and elder care searches for family members. To put my opinion in the most favorable terms, the care available in this country is abysmal at best. I can't imagine trying to provide quality care for individuals with special needs whose habits could vex the most sympathetic and philanthropic of souls. I can only imagine what you must go through to find adequate staff.

I read in Working Mother magazine that very few dismissals occur because of proficiency on the job. More likely than not, it is "personnel problems" that will get someon canned. Give me someone only moderately smart but dedicated as hell anyday of the week over an intelligent lazy bum...

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I hear ya!

Seriously though, I have some excellent staff. But, we have just done a massive hiring over the last few months and nows the time for people to show their real selves. It quickly becomes obvious for whom this is a job vs. a real desire to work in the field. One of the weekend staff walked off the job yesterday at one of the homes, but you know, I'd rather they did that than stay and poison everyone around them.

But, my co-worker comes back in only two more days and then I'm back to just covering my own 6 homes!

Counting the minutes...

Jenn

Comment

Jenn -
                I am just now seeing this post. Girl, you are an amazing person! And as someone who has also worked in other non-profit/service jobs, I *know* they aren't paying you anything close to resembling what you are worth!

Comment

Claudia-

Actually, while I'm am compensated pretty well (this is Texas and I am female and I do work for a bunch of rich white guys who own planes and ranches and go huntin' and fishin' every weekend- plus golf on Friday mornings) my staff aren't paid for s**t. I was able to get everyone a .75 cent increase in pay last year but they still only start at $7.25 per hour. In DC, my direct care staff started at $10.50. Yes the cost of living is higher but it also reflects the attitude differences in the service sector. San Antonio and Texas in general is just now clueing in to the fact that we're now a service based economy and not just oil and manufacturing!

Oh well, all things in due time.

Jenn

Comment

Wow Jenn...I hope she's back now and that you're back to covering 'just' your six homes I can't imagine how challenging your job must be!!!!!

Kris

Comment

Working...
                    X