Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When do you know its time to change jobs - HELP ME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you know its time to change jobs - HELP ME!

Okay ladies and gents, you have to help me make a decision or at least give me some advice. The job I have now is fine, not very challenging, I look like a star 95% of the time, and the industry is interesting. I've been trying to get a job at the largest employer in town since before we moved here (at least 18 months), well today I got my offer. The job is wide open, its a new position so there will be a lot of autonomy. It will also be a lot of work, I have ZERO experience in the industry and I'll go from being the star to probably not having a clue what I'm doing.

It is more money than I'm making now. In a regular salary view it is a 16% raise, if you count the bonus I may or may not get in my current job its a 10% raise.

I really like the people I work with now and going into our craziest season I almost feel like I'd be abandoning them but there is nowhere for me to go in my current job. I will most likely be in the position I'm in with my 3% annual raises until I quit or we leave town. I've been told that once you get your foot into the employer of the new job moving around, up, down, sideways is pretty easy.

Originally we thought I would stay home after we had kids, now we're thinking I might work with the first and stay home with the second so we're looking at at least 3-4 more years of work.

After reading what I've typed I think I've answered my own question but I'd still like to hear some thoughts - tell me I'm not crazy!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Go for it! If you feel like the new job is a good fit and that you would get something out of it, then take the plunge. But get an offer letter outlining all the terms before you let you old employer know. When do they want you to start?

Comment

I say go for it, providing that you'd be covered if you went on maternity leave, etc. (didn't you say that you're trying?). It might be a lot of stress to add to learning a new job. Legally it should have no impact on your employment - but people aren't always that kind.

Is the new company one that you could transfer with?

Best of luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

Comment

The company is Mayo, so transferring really isn't an option unless we move to Jacksonville or Scottsdale. To be honest, I don't plan to work after my DH is done with residency so that really isn't an issue.

Comment

I say go for it! Yes, you will be leaving your current employer at a bad time of year, but the sooner you let them know, the sooner they can find someone.
          Congratulations...sounds like your efforts have paid off.

Comment

Go for it but leave with your head held high by giving your current employer the respect of tying up loose ends.

You can always decide not to work after having kids but you can't always have this job waiting. Try it and adjust if necessary when kiddos come.

Can you work part time eventually?
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

It does sound like you want it. Good luck!
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to accept it. I will spend the next two weeks getting everything in line for my current co-workers, but I think this is an opportunity I need to take.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

I'm late chiming here, but go for it.
                  Luanne
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Congratulations Cheri!!
                    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Fabulous news! Get in the door now before kids and see: 1) how you feel post kids (you might be suprised either way); and 2) you're in a better position to negotiate for more family friendly options from within a job than from the outside (i.e. job shares, flex time, apprenticeship help, telecommuting, etc.).

Best of luck.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Okay, you're all going to think I'm nuts (I do, sort of) but I turned it down. My current employer came back and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The vacation/sick time is about the same betwen the two. My current employers maternity leave is better and by raising my annual salary they raise my annual bonus as well. So all in all I'm not going anywhere. I can be very happy staying where I'm at for quite a while, it actually brought up some great discussion between my boss and I and I'm very excited.

So thanks for all of the advise but sometimes you just gotta go with your gut!

Comment

Cheri, You could be the subject in an article in the Career Section of the WSJ -- using a job offer to negotiate better employment terms. That's great! Not only are you getting paid more but had a nice confirmation of how your boss feels about you. Sounds pretty good to me!

Comment

Good for you!!!!!
                            Luanne
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Even better! You've got your senority intact, and just got "shown" how valuable you are to your boss!

Good for you! I don't think you're nuts at all. Congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                              X