Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stay at Home Mom / At Home Jobs... Do you have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay at Home Mom / At Home Jobs... Do you have one?

Hi everyone.

My hubbie and I are expecting our first child right when he starts his first year of residency this summer. I'll also be quitting my office job around that time too. I was thinking of stay at home jobs, and wanted to ask if any of you are involved in that... I was thinking possibly medical transcription, since my job in the medical field (clinical research coordinator) involves some of that anyway.

Do any of you have 'at home' jobs, in addition to the FT job of being a mommy? If so, what are they? I would like to get some ideas... Also, are there any medical transcriptionists out there who work from home? How do you find jobs in that field?

Thanks a million! :chat:

I think Heidi is doing transcription work.

I'll be staying home permanently by the end of this year, and my husband thinks I should go ahead and try to launch the cottage industry I've been idly talking about forever. Basically selling handknit/handcrafted items. I'm sure I'll hardly pull a profit, but maybe it'll give me some guilt-free mad money.
    Alison

Comment

Sue C just stopped doing transcription stuff, too. Or maybe she did billing. I'm sure she'll be along shortly!

I was teaching classes for Stroller Strides, and was contemplating buying a franchise when we move, but now I think I need to do something else.

I just wish I knew what it was!

Jenn

Comment

It was billing--a means to an end for me but it was effective at bringing in needed income so that I could stay home with the kids. Before that I did childcare from home, news monitoring, and marketing for a friend who is a real estate agent.
        It is really hard to find a work at home job, but I think there are opportunities out there. Often times you have to create your own opportunity, I have found.
        Good luck and PM me or post additional questions if I can give you any more information.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Dr. larry's wifey: Good luck with your endevor of working at home. That is my long term goal as well. Just about a year ago I started a crafting business where I make handmade bags. I have had a hard time keeping up with inventory and marketing, since I still work full time and now am in charge of our interstate move. After we move this summer into my dh's residency I'm going to change to part time working. This should still keep us afloat while I get more time to work on my sewing/designing. Oh, and we don't have kids yet either.
          Alison_in_oh - you should go for it! The little extra I have made over the year has been very helpful and fullfilling too
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Wow, your life was mine exactly 7 yrs ago! I was working as a medical research asst/coordinator and was going to be a SAHM when our first child was born. She was born just as DH started his residency.

Just had to mention the similarity. I have no ideas for work-at-home options.

Comment

Sorry I didn't see this post before. I do medical transcription from home. It pays pennies, and it is on and off work, but it's a tiny bit of extra money so I can stay home with the kids.

Two ways to go about it. Troll the want ads for doctors offices looking for in-house transcriptionists. Offer your services to do transcription for them from home. Play up the part of how it will save them money by not having to pay benefits or anything like that. .20 per 65 character line.

OR

Get hired by a transcription company and not have to really work at finding clients and get paid .07 per 65 character line and sign a contract saying that you will not do the first option. This is what I did.

The first option is harder to find clients and enough to get enough money. The second option is easier, but pays significantly less, and you might not have steady work.

Good luck!
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
              X