Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

GRE Test Prep/Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRE Test Prep/Info

Well, I finally got around to ordering a couple of GRE Test Prep books from Amazon. I ordered Kaplan GRE Exam 2007 Premier Program and How to Prepare for the GRE (the Barron's guide). Cost almost $50 but I hear that the GRE is pretty tough. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it and I don't know what constitutes a "good score".

Has anyone taken the GRE? How did you study? How long did you study before the test? Advice, advice, advice?! THANKS

I'm attempting to study for the GMAT right now. Not sure how far back you took the SATs but I'd suggest studying for the GRE the same way. My plan is to go through the book (mostly to refresh high school math) and then start taking exams on the disk that came with the book. Once I'm happy with the scores on those, I'll schedule the actual exam.

I'm pretty sure that GRE is scored same as GMAT, 800 total - 400 per section. GMAT recently added an essay section, I think GRE might have too.

Comment

GRE has three sections - quantitative, verbal, and a writing something or other. I think the quant and verbal is 800 points each and then writing is 0-6 on a half point scale.

Not sure how far back you took the SATs but I'd suggest studying for the GRE the same way.
      Now, it wasn't that long ago, but I never studied for the SATs...

Guess that's why I'm so lost now!!

Comment

The GRE is very similar to the SAT's. It's all about those fun flashcards and vocab. If you study a lot of vocab words and review basic math (algebra etc.) you'll do just fine. Most places offer the test on a computer so you get your scores (except for the writing) immediately after you are done.

Good Luck!
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I took the GREs back in 2000 for my German lit. program. I used the Kaplan books. I don't know the format of the test you'll be taking, but I wish I had taken sample tests on the computer--and I wish I had done a full day of practice testing on the computer. I say this, because when I took the test for real, I had such a problem concentrating and my eyes were so tired and were constantly wandering from the screen. I had mostly studied with the books and just wasn't used to the computer format.

Also, I did much MUCH better on the logic and math portions than on the verbal. I was so fearful of my weakness in logic and math, as a German major(!) that I didn't really study my vocab or do much reading comp. That was strange!

Good luck!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Also, I did much MUCH better on the logic and math portions than on the verbal.
            This is how I scored on my SATs and I was an English/Art major in college. I ordered the Barron's and the Kaplan books from Amazon but while I'm waiting to get those, I've been practicing some sample questions on number2.com. The vocab is pretty tough!! SO and I sit down together and just get stumped on some of the antonym questions!!
            I am trying to figure out what is a good score, how many months in advance should I start prep, and how many hours a week should I be studying... ??

Comment

How strict is the program you're trying to get into?

Maybe I'm being too blase about it but I want to take the general test later this summer, maybe in a month or two, and I only just picked up a study book at the library (from 2003 no less). Once I schedule a testing date maybe I'll purchase an up-to-date book with a CD, but I don't plan to cram too hard. I don't think the program I'm looking at cares much about the general test except as a screen to make sure you didn't just surf through your college classes or something.

Now for the Physics subject test...that one freaks me out. I plan to take it in April, and feel I should be studying NOW, and productively. Maybe I need to be more structured about my unemployed days and start making study time...

Hey, thanks for the website, too! Looks neat, I'm going to sign up now.
              Alison

Comment

Working...
              X