Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

So, I got a job.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I got a job.....

After 11 years of being mostly at home, I am back in my original "career" as a music teacher. I got hired (the day before school started) to teach 3 sections of middle school choir in the town just west of where I live. I only teach in the mornings, so it is perfect for me at this point in my life, and the money is not bad at all for part-time and summers off.

The job had been posted all summer, and I had looked at it, but my license is expired (you have to take 6 hours every 5 years to keep it current) and I didn't have the guts to apply without a valid license. I have a friend that works in that building and the week before school started, she asked me if I was interested. I said that I kind of was, but that my license was expired. She called the principal, and he called the superintendent of the corporation, who said that I might be able to get an emergency license for one year. So I ended up interviewing with the principal that same day and he wanted to hire me. I thought it was just because he was desperate (not a lot of people want a part-time teaching job, after all) but he told me he had interviewed several music teachers WITH licenses and didn't think they were a good fit, but that I seemed perfect.....so that made me feel good. He set up an interview with the superintendent for Monday. That interview went well, and the supt. said that if all went well with obtaining the emergency license, I was hired. They called me the next morning and told me I had the job. I picked up my keys that afternoon, and was sitting in teachers' meetings the next morning at 8:00!

It was quite a whirlwind and I am just now catching my breath, two weeks later. I have had a steep learning curve between learning the computer system there, going through the music files to see what they have, meeting my students, and learning where everything is, not to mention getting my own kids started at their school, arranging child care for my youngest, who is in Pre-K three mornings a week this year, and figuring out if I have enough appropriate clothes!

I have three choirs; 7th & 8th grade boys, 8th grade girls, and 7th grade girls.....112 kids total. They seem very nice and with one full week behind me, I have to say that I am really enjoying myself. The faculty have all been very nice and welcoming, also. The principal told me in my interview that he doesn't see this job becoming full time, (which I really don't want) so I am hoping that this will last for several years! I will need to get six hours of graduate education credit in the next year so that I can get my license back, but now that I have a job (and a salary! ) I don't anticipate that being a problem.

It all happened so fast that I didn't really have time to think about it too much.....maybe that was better! I don't regret the years I spent at home AT ALL, but I think it was time for me to do something different.

Just wanted to catch you guys up!

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

I've been thinking of you and the new job Sally. I kept meaning to post and ask how it was going. That does sound like a whirlwind. I tell you ... many of my best decisions happened very quickly!

good for you ... and i hope it continues to go well. i don't envy you listening to 13 and 14 year old boys sing ...

Comment

Congrats. You are an inspiration to SAHMs.

Comment

Congratulations, Sally, that sounds wonderful!
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Good for you! I am so glad to hear that music is still a part of the school system!!

Comment

congratulations on the job! sounds like fun!
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

What a great "fall-into-place" experience! I'm so happy for you! :m

Comment

Sounds perfect for you, Sally! Congratulations.

Comment

Sally-

That's awesome. and I think what is equally exciting is the fact that the school system has realized how valuable music education really is.

Good luck but you know you have the skills and abilities to SHINE in this new part of your life.

Congrats!

Jenn

Comment

:ra: You can do it!! It is nice when things fall into place.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Congrats! When are you going shopping for new teacher clothes?

Comment

Back to school shopping for Sally!

Comment

It sounds like a great fit Sally! Enjoy!!

Comment

Thanks for the update--I was going to ask but I wasn't sure you'd started yet. Happy educating!
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Better late than never, a hearty congrats to you, Sally! I am really happy for you! Sounds perfect.

Jennifer
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X