Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• licensing

Mprofessional license renewal for Minnesota just arrived and is due before the year end. I plan on moving out of State and probably will not return. Here are my options:

Choice 1: Pay the $218 annual fee for Minnesota PLUS somehow manage to obtain 45 hours of continuing education credits which comport with Minnesota's requirements. (Probably entails a very costly trip back to keep up).

Choice 2: Try to convert my inactive Ohio license to active status. This will be quite costly because I have been "inactive" for almost 7 years($300 x 4 missed biennium registration periods PLUS $200 "reinstatement fee PLUS continuing education class fees).

Choice 3: Do it all baby. After all, I am married to a surgeon and it is just pocket change.

The irony of all of this....We may end up in neither Ohio nor Minnesota at the end of the day AND I don't intend to work for at least a year after our next move. Allowing a license to lapse is a HUGE deal. Yet I don't know what to do. Does anyone have a crystal ball? Tarot? Heck, let's put it to a vote.

BTW, this is one reason why I am always slightly cynical when a fellow medicalspouse decides law is the way to go for them. This career path is not all that portable while medicine demands some amount of portability.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I've you're not planning to work for a year after moving back to Ohio, I'd probably just do the MN thing. Maintain the license at the cheaper rate, and then see what your plans are looking like this time next year.

Comment

I'm confused, doesn't your employer pay for your license renewal in MN? I don't know the deadline for you to complete the CLEs, but why can't you renew your MN license right now, not complete the 45 hours of CLE and cancel your license before the CLEs are due? You're moving at the end of next June, right? Are your CLEs due before then? Just a thought.

My own opinion is that I would not even bother activating your license in Ohio until you know that you will live there permanently or at least longer than the fellowship time frame.

I sympathize with your licensure issus. I'm only licensed in the state of PA. Oregon, where I live now, does not have reciprocity with any other state. I'm not working now (obviously, since I'm not licensed in this state) and I don't plan to for several years. We will not be moving back to Pa, so I'm just going to cancel my Pa license.

Since I have to take the bar exam all over again for OR, I plan to wait and take it when I decide to return to work. I don't want to have to pay to maintain my license; i.e., CLE, renewal fees, etc.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Working...
      X