Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Defer loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defer loan

I am wondering if everyone is able to defer loans when they begin residency. I heard something about if you are married or there is another income that you arent able to defer. I have a friend who is single, new resident and is defering hers. Is this something most people are able to do? Do most couples defer? I dont know how we would afford not being able to. Good newby question? Thanks!

Oh, hell yes, you can totally defer. Thank Maude.

For the record, your dh's loans are HIS loans, and not yours, and your income is not taken into account for repayment of his loans.

Wohoo for that on the potassium injection plan!

We deferred ours. Oh, and CONSOLIDATE!!!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'm assuming that you are refering to the physician's loans. Absolutely. A couple of private loans continue to accrue interest. Pay those first if you can.

Your loans are not deferable. This sucks if you are in a supersize residency. Or so I've been told.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I do remember not being able to defer some of the loans BUT we were eligible for a forbearance. Every year since we have applied and have been accepted.

I, too, cannot stress enough to consolidate.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Well we are paying off my college loans right now and paying interest on one my dh's from college. He has consolidated all of his loans already so we are good to go on that end! Thanks for all of your info. Just curious, how much were you all paying per month when you started paying them back? Just thinking ahead! Thanks for all your advice.

Comment

The amount of payback is highly dependent on several variables: how much you owe collectively, the term of your loan, and whatever percentage rate you locked in at.

DH owes quite a bit more than me but is looked in at 3.25. I am at 7.5 percent. There is not a lot of different between our payments.

It is a great idea to pay of your student loans if you can before residency if you plan to stay at home. You will need every extra dollar you can get.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
            X