Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

$2600 a month - residency net pay is this accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2600 a month - residency net pay is this accurate?

Ok so I got on the paycheck calculator plugged in $4200 in Colorado and this is what came back as the net pay. Does this sound about accurate? I have to assume the insurance is to come out of that too, so it would be less than $2600 a month in the bank.

I also did NC and it was roughly the same.

Just trying to gear myself up for the nasty truth. Honestly I thought it'd be a tad more a month, guess not.

I think we take home ~2400 a month so yeah...accurate.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

That sounds right, I have no idea how people do this on one income. It really not that much money, which always gives me pause, since I am assuming that is what teachers, police officers etc., make for life . . .

Comment

As an intern our take home was 2800 per month, but it goes up every year here. We are in one of the highest paid programs in the country. We also have no insurance costs taken out (free for entire family) and claim 9 exemptions. Yes, unfortunately, it sounds right to me.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Yep sounds about right, I think DH's take home right now is around $2600 as a 3rd year.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yup, this is right.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Yes, that sounds about right for the first few years.

Insurance cost can really vary -- that would be worth checking into. DH's program takes it out before taxes which helps but it is still more than either of us have had in other instances.

ETA -- another nice thing to find out ahead of time is if they pay monthly, twice a month, or every other week. If it is the every other week option, your monthly income will be less by around $200/month (made up by 2 "extra" paychecks during the year).

Comment

Yep, that's about right. We are a little higher because we are now PGY4 but not much.
                Luckily, healthcare is included and we don't have to pay for it. Also, the resident's don't pay social security. That money goes directly into a retirement account.
                DH's salary is paid once a month. Hard but doable, gotta make it stretch!

Comment

DH's take home 3.5 years ago was 2200 for PGY6.
                  Needs

Comment

are people getting paid bi-weekly? DW brings home a little over 2,600 per month, but there are 2 months per year that she gets paid 3 times.
                    Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Sounds familiar. It was a lot easier when you could live in a house purchased for 80 K - with a mortgage payment of around $700. Now, housing is insane.
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Pay is bi-weekly here. I have mixed feelings about it. I have preferred to get paid monthly or bi-monthly. DH's last program was monthly.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker
                          are people getting paid bi-weekly? DW brings home a little over 2,600 per month, but there are 2 months per year that she gets paid 3 times.
                          We get paid bi-weekly. I actually prefer it that way, that "extra" check pretty much goes into the savings on those three check months. My paychecks are the same way.
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

sounds about right. Both dh and I get paid bi-weekly. I've never had it any other way, so I can't say I'd prefer one over the other.
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

DH was entitled to a SMALL raise every clinical year he finished. His salary was FROZEN during the lab years .

By the time DH was in his 7th clinical year of residency, our take home pay was over $3000.00.

2400 - 2600 take home pay sounds right. Unfortunately!
                              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                              X