Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

If the dems push through the increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the dems push through the increase

in the social security cap.....

I'm voting republican. That's a promise. Even if Hillary runs. Tara, you can take that to the bank.

We got paid again today and...I feel enraged.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Is that how they're proposing to "fix" the boomer shortage? Sorry I'm not up to speed on this one.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Well, it's one of the proposals on the table that some of them are pushing hard. If so...I'm done with the dems. I disagree with the republicans on many key issues, but...we are hit with the AMT each year and this year despite paying through the nose in taxes (as in...2 teacher's salaries at least) we owe an additional 10 grand. We pay state and local taxes and the social security stuff? Icing on the cake.

Why work hard to make a better life for yourself just to have it be taken away from you....

Of course...I'm just grouchy today...but I really mean it.

kris

Comment

What exactly is the proposed increase??

Comment

This is defiantly a geriatrics issueas well ... it' is our group that defiantly will be hit hardest

Comment

Yeah, it is totally unfair to ask all those poor families who make more than $90k a year to have to keep paying social security on the rest! How unjust! Dirty Democrats!
            - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

I don't know. Right now... the max you are supposed to pay in is 11,000 a year. You pay 1/2 and your employer pays 1/2. We max out on our payments right as summer comes....which is nice.... Apparently, the new tax would raise the cap and increase the amount paid as well as the amount of time.

buggers.

kris

Comment

Originally posted by reciprocity
                Yeah, it is totally unfair to ask all those poor families who make more than $90k a year to have to keep paying social security on the rest! How unjust! Dirty Democrats!
                laugh on....I used to feel like you did...until we were denied dental coverage during fellowship and couldn't afford dental care for our children when they needed it...and those poor people got free care...at the hospital where dh worked. We didn't have a prescription plan so we had to pay...but those *poor* people got free appointments and free prescriptions.

I'm all for helping the poor. We...have been poor...but we all know that the social security contributions (paying over the entire year) are significantly less than ours in dollars...AND...that those paying in the most will likely get the least back.

When the money starts coming from your pockets, you'll feel differently.

OH...and most poor people pay nothing in taxes (or get it all back) and...*poor* people don't earn 90k a year.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but some of those poor people could also get off their butts and...work.

kris

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                  I can't believe I'm saying this...but some of those poor people could also get off their butts and...work.

kris
                  Amen! Get a job, any job!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It is a bit presumptuous to assume that this money won't be coming out of my pockets.
                    - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

He's a lawyer - it probably does.

I'd have to look at the proposal. I know I'm not going to vote down the party line. All I want is someone REASONABLE. Is that too much to ask?

Comment

Oh no Kris, do I need to get together an intervention??? DCJENN and I will be there soon.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Bring cold hard cash, baby...I'm not above being bribed...I do...need a new laptop :>

kris

Comment

Originally posted by reciprocity
                            It is a bit presumptuous to assume that this money won't be coming out of my pockets.
                            Of course it will be coming out of your pockets...that's...what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine

kris
                              Amen! Get a job, any job!
                              So here's the deal, Cheri...I am all for social programs to help people with job retraining or to get back on their feet...I have no problem at all with my tax dollars heading there.

What I have a problem with is...funding people who won't try. I know it makes me a bad person...but oh well.

I bought Christmas gifts for a family this year who could not afford Christmas...so...let's not pretend that I am heartless...but...what bothered me about the situation was that the parents are in this exact same situation every single year...and are dependent on toys for tots and donations every year.

This same mom invited me to go to an art studio tonight that I had to turn down...because the sitting fee and cost of a project aren't in my own budget...it's a $25 minimum night and I have a budget that doesn't include that kind of an extra this month.

She's deadset on being a sahm even though her 4 children are all in school...She *sells* tupperware, and even talked about how she didn't know what to do with all of her expired stock of supplies. It was a couple of weeks before christmas and I offered to buy them from her. She was thrilled, telling her that I was in desperate need and was happy to take them off of her hands. We arranged a day. She never showed up. We arranged another day. She never showed up. Any money I could have paid her would have been cash in her pockets...I just didn't get it.

Her husband does home repair and carpentry. The market has been slow. He refuses to work for home depot or anyplace else. She was insulted when she complained ad nauseum about their finances and I said "maybe your dh could work at home depot...they have benefits and think of the discount he'd get! Our handy man does this and he raves about it". I also told her that I was considering a part-time job at Kohls...did she want to apply with me? No. She works for Tupperware...and then she launched into how she doesn't make any money.

If you don't want my thoughts, don't complain to me everytime you see me.

The situation made me feel angry and a little bitter. I am happy....beyond happy to help anyone out that needs it...but...people also have to be able to help themselves a little bit too.

You and I are unlikely to even see the social security that we're paying in right now.....It's crazy.

kris

Comment

Working...
                              X