Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Yesss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesss!

We're down to eating out once/week! We've been cooking and eating in for a good 5 months (we do splurge for special occasions though), and it makes for a huge difference!

Any other success stories?
    married to an anesthesia attending

See? All those annoying kids at CPK have served a purpose!

:> I couldn't resist. :>
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

CPK is birth control! So, I could save $ on that!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

:>

Comment

Alison,

Eating in has really helped us too....alot! I make weekly menus and as a result, my grocery bill is way down too....

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Well, I'm pleased to say that I've also been cooking a lot more lately....but I'm not sure that our overall food spending is down because our grocery bill has gone way up. But I've been cooking 4-5 times per week. I've made some tasty things! Last night I made manicotti, mashed potatoes and caesar salad.

Comment

Yeah...whenever I make menus and cook at home most nights, our grocery bill goes way up. Way up. I got frightened the last time they tallied up my bill.

I think it's because we have three nights (easily) a week when someone isn't around. When it's only three people we tend to eat easy food or leftovers instead of meals. When I meal plan, I cook even on those nights. Mac and Cheese or cold sandwiches are a lot cheaper than any actual
              "meal" around here. I think it also makes better use of our leftover when we don't cook regularly. We always have too much food.

That said, I think cutting out the restaurant eating is a great move. We try to only go out once or less a week. I do consider runs to Subway for 4 subs for 12.99 after 6 PM and Boston Market 19 dollar meals in the same league as eating at home. It's a pretty cheap "night out". It's the $40 buck casual eatery sit - down stuff that adds up in this family.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I agree with you, Angie. We eat at Panera a lot--for about $11 the two of us can take out a nice dinner. Cheap and easy.

Comment

I plan my meals out so that the ingredients that I buy are suitable for a couple of different meals...ie...If I buy pineapple and coconunt milk then that week I make curry, pineapple, mandarine orange cod and then later in the week I make a meatball that comes in a pineapple coconut milk sauce......

Also, I go to the cheapest grocery store around and I buy only what' son my shopping list. I use my PDA to make sure my recipes and shopping lists are accurate and then I do a quick inventory in the house to see if I need to add toilet paper or anything else.

kris

Comment

Dang, Kris! You are so organized! That's amazing. I'm inspired.

Comment

:funnycry:

Originally posted by toronja_pepino
                      Dang, Kris! You are so organized!
                      I wish! It's really the only area of my life where I sort of am getting it together

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                        I wish! It's really the only area of my life where I sort of am getting it together.
                        Well, here's hoping it infects all the other areas of your life!

Comment

Working...
                        X