Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How involved are you in the finances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How involved are you in the finances?

I'm going to make a shocking confession. During residency, I knew where our money went down to the last penny. Now...I don't even know how much dh's paychecks are every 2 weeks. I feel...kind of weird about it...I have access to our checking account online etc, but the only thing I really focus on is what I need for kid's school lunch accounts etc.... I don't even....LOOK anymore.

Since realizing this, I've decided to take a keener interest in it all....but...am I the only one out there who is this fiscally stupid?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I take care of everything. We used to share responsibilities. I'm not sure what will happen in a few months but I imagine I will still take care of most of it. That is ok, but I would like him to be a little more involved and know what is going on. A few weeks ago, he told me we should have a plan for savings for the kids college. Welcome aboard, we've been expecting you...I HAVE a plan. Want to hear it?

DH has taken over his mom's stuff. That makes me happy. It's much easier now, maybe 10 transactions a month for her.

Comment

I used to do all our finances, but then I became a mom of 3 and my brain turned to mush. I handed it over to DH last summer because he is more meticulous and we don't fight about it anymore.

My involvement in our finances now is being in charge of most of the spending (i.e., groceries and household necessities). DH and I discuss where the money is going and agree on large purchases. The day-to-day balances I don't pay attention to because DH knows the penny amount now. I like this arrangement.
      Needs

Comment

during residency I knew NOTHING. I liked the head-in-the-sand approach ... it was the only way I could make it. As residency was wrapping up and dh was studying for boards, he went on autopilot and just stopped paying EVERYTHING. I realized one day that his paychecks had been accumuliating in our account, and we were getting mail (that I used to not even open) from lots of places. I spent a day calling / catching up on everything (as much as I could), and took it over from there.

Now I know ... and I'm developing an ulcer.

Comment

I know NOTHING of our finances....and after residency I will likely know NOTHING of our finances. It drives my mom and sister crazy because they both run their households, but I really suck at it and could care less to learn. And Russ does a kick@ss job so why should I try....
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My dh knows nothing. I do everything and handle everything with our finances. Even though he makes the money and his name is on some things, I am the one who deals with them and am the account manager. If he were in charge we would have no water, electricity, or possessions because they would have all been taken.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I do everything. Pay bills, balance checkbook, give DH spending money :> , save for retirement/college, etc. DH has no clue what's happening financially in our lives right now, he just trusts me to keep things running. I always tease him that for all he knows, I'm squirreling money away into an off-shore account somewhere.
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                I always tease him that for all he knows, I'm squirreling money away into an off-shore account somewhere.
                One of my friend's grandmothers did just that (not off-shore, but a secret account) b/c the grandfather was a jerk and grandma wanted to be prepared to up and leave him. At their 50th anniversary dinner grandma came clean, and divvied up the (now substanstial) account for each of the grandchildren to use for their education.

hijack over

Comment

DH has never handled the money. He's not a financial guy. He would seriously prefer that I give him an allowance and just not talk about it. :> He uses his credit cards and take out money when he needs cash. He tells me (mostly) when he's done this. Otherwise, he is uninvolved.

Recently, he had me show him how I've set everything up so he could pay the bills if he had to do it. He does handle his own retirement accounts through work. We are both involved in investment decisions, but I tend to handle the paperwork/payment that those decisions require. He does the taxes every year......because he is not quite as rule abiding as me and he thinks I won't claim enough deductions. :> I'm v. scared of the IRS. We always end up debating things like the actual value of donated clothing and such. I underestimate, he overestimates. Hopefully, we balance out.

It's a pretty good mix.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                    My dh knows nothing. I do everything and handle everything with our finances. Even though he makes the money and his name is on some things, I am the one who deals with them and am the account manager. If he were in charge we would have no water, electricity, or possessions because they would have all been taken.
                    Same here. DH never knows if we have one dollar or one million. He would have no clue how to do the bills if I were hit by a bus tomorrow.
                    Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                      I always tease him that for all he knows, I'm squirreling money away into an off-shore account somewhere.
                      Same here.

Comment

My DH also knows nothing - he knows when I tell him. He knows I keep us on a pretty good budget and therefore asks before he buys anything of much value, but has no idea how much 90% of our bills are.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

A familiar conversation in our house:

Him: "Hey, I went to the bank machine today and checked our balance. We have a lot of money! "

Me: "Don't touch it. I haven't paid the bills."

Him: " Are you sure? "

Me: "Absolutely! We are broke! Have you seen the credit card bill?"

Him: "Oh.... "

This is how we have managed to save money. :> If it were any different, we'd have a much nicer house and a Porsche now. And....no money.

He knows this. That's why I'm in charge of the cash. Of course, I buy Mrs. Meyer's cleaning supplies, so I'm also guilty of indulgence.....
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I am not familiar with Mrs. Meyer's. I just google searched it. Is it good stuff?

Dh keeps track of our finances, but doesn't like to do bills, checks, etc. So, I do them, and tell him how much he needs to transfer to our checking account. I think we're very inefficient on this front because we don't reallly have set responsibilities.
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Perhaps a wee bit indulgent but just think of all the soothing you are doing with the aromatherapy. I have one Mrs. Meyers product and loooooove the way it smells. It makes me want to clean. Can't put a price on that!

Comment

Working...
                              X