Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Disposable Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposable Income

We exceed our means a bit, just on household expenses and bills. Fortunately we have a savings buffer, but there's definitely not cash to throw around on luxuries I'm afraid. We do it anyway (whoo Transformers movie!) but, well, let's just say that I am #516 on the holds list at the library for HPH and I do not foresee getting to read it before the spoilers flood the media ( )
    Alison

[Never mind...I had posted something here but then realized that my question managed to completely sap the frivolity and fun out of the exercise. I am REALLY good at that...so says some people who know me well...]

Comment

I couldn't help it. I picked the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
        Hey Miss-No-Fun, I don't consider 401k contributions or money put into savings as part of my take-home. I consider that a "bill" and not "I think I'll go to Puerto Vallarta" money.

Also, I have never been to Puerto Vallarta and could not find it on a map. I do, however, think I could spot it in an episode of Love Boat.

Monthly.
        Sorry. I edited all that crap out of my post while you were responding. I realized that I was taking it too seriously. SHOCK.

Comment

are we asking monthly?

Comment

Damn, GreyMatterWife. Why'd you have to edit? I love a good catfight with my morning coffee. :> As it is, I'll just have to imagine your old post. I should answer this question for now (attendinghood), but wanted to mention that in fellowship we had around 500 bucks a month "extra" for savings or spending after our bills went in and groceries were purchased. Tight.

Now.....we are looking at the islands, of course.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We should have some leftover every month but our )*&(*& house has something big break at least once a month. Last month- $700 AC repair. This month $600 roof repair for four year old leaking roof. Next month-fellowship interview expenses.
              Mom to three wild women.

Comment

<gir voice>I have NO idea!</gir voice>

Our money situation is so incredibly changable at the moment, I have absolutely not a clue how much money we have to spend on not-bills. I figure it'll settle out in the next 4-6 months and we'll have a general idea, but for now? We're buying what we *need*, and not worrying too much about it; we've got savings, and no debt, and stuff for the new house is pretty much still "moving expense" at this point.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
                  Hey Miss-No-Fun, I don't consider 401k contributions or money put into savings as part of my take-home. I consider that a "bill" and not "I think I'll go to Puerto Vallarta" money.

Also, I have never been to Puerto Vallarta and could not find it on a map. I do, however, think I could spot it in an episode of Love Boat.

Monthly.
                  As a matter-of-fact, Puerto Vallarta is a lovely town on the Mexican Pacific Coast.

As for the disposable income, I'm not sure, as we're still awaiting our first official paycheck. I'm hoping for something with 3 zeros in it. I just found a new great mall nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
                    Damn, GreyMatterWife. Why'd you have to edit? I love a good catfight with my morning coffee. :> As it is, I'll just have to imagine your old post. I should answer this question for now (attendinghood), but wanted to mention that in fellowship we had around 500 bucks a month "extra" for savings or spending after our bills went in and groceries were purchased. Tight.

Now.....we are looking at the islands, of course.
                    Oh, it wasn't anything fun or fight-provoking. I just asked if we should include monies contributed to tax-deferred retirement accounts as disposable income, since such amounts are not mandatory.

And I also worried that I'd sound insensitive. I realize that a lot of people on this board probably are living on extremely tight budgets/going into debt in order to support their families or be SAHM/Ds. We DEFINITELY live on a tight budget, but--honestly--it is self-inflicted by our savings choices. I'm not really sure why I deleted the post...I don't know...I just didn't want to seem out-of-touch with other people's reality. We were in starving student mode for a really, really long time...I've been there and know that it is not fun to be reminded.

But then...since a considerably percent of voters have betw $2000-5000 disposable monthly income...I think I am now just JEALOUS!

Comment

We impose some pretty strict savings restrictions on ourselves too. "Fun Stuff" is actually a line item in our budget with an alloted dollar amount and we still have about $200 left over.

That will all change in 1.5 months when I quit and our monthly expenses will exceed our income.
                      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I don't know how to answer that since we also are super aggressive in saving and in paying down the remaining consumer debt. If we don't have cash, it just doesn't happen- except for the washer and dryer.

I'd say we could have a lot more disposable income but we won't for a while.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                        X