Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Strategy Thoughts Welcomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Thoughts Welcomed

Last week, another driver side-swiped my wife's car in the hospital parking lot. Kudos to the driver because she actually left a note. We called and she seemed nice (doesn't work at hospital). She wants us to send an estimate. I got the itemized estimate with pictures as well. It's going to be $545.

Being the cynic that I am, I'm thinking this number will suprise her (hence the photos). Even folks doing the right thing, don't want to pay up when it's time.

None of us either talked about insurance but I'm guessing she has it and doesn't want to make a claim on it. Understandable. I think that $545 is probably not what someone would want to make a claim for (raise rates and her deductible may be $500 or $1000). She has a husband who has a fax machine at work so we're likely not talking about someone indigent.

Anyway, thoughts on how to get the $545 and get it quick and relatively painless? I mean we should have cash in our hands (not check). I don't know if I want to deliver this estimate to her on a Friday afternoon - again the cynic thinking she'll stall all weekend.

Am I just overthinking this? Or are there some strategies tips to get this settled without undue pain?

Ugh. My dad got screwed on this a while back. But, let's hope that doesn't happen to you.

I think giving her a timeframe that doesn't sound too much like an ultimatum would be fair. Send her the estimate and request that she have a money order for you by Tuesday. Since that is the end of the month, maybe one of them is getting a paycheck that day?

Comment

I would think a money order or cashier's check would do. Also, if you are going to have the car repaired at the place giving the estimate, could you ask that she pay them directly? That way she has the option of paying with a credit card. Just a thought.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'm afraid to ask about how your dad got screwed...

Yeah, I don't think they're indigent (or uninsured). If they were in either or both of those categories I don't think they would've left a note.

I really don't want to fool around with getting another estimate either. It took up time and gas on Tuesday (and yes they didn't give me the estimate until today).

I'm hoping the pictures give her a reality check.

I worry about people's ability to tell themselves "it wasn't that bad". I had another driver run a red and T-bone me at 45 MPHs about 2 years ago. While the cop was taking care of business she keep speaking a mile a minute (worried about her own insurance...blah...blah). She did accept full responsibility...but when looking at the DRIVER's side she said to me, "it's not the bad".

Her insurance paid....then I got my car back 6 WEEKS later.

Money order in DW's name? And meet in a public place?

Comment

Also, if you are going to have the car repaired at the place giving the estimate, could you ask that she pay them directly? That way she has the option of paying with a credit card. Just a thought.
          I can see that would be nice for her. Yet, I fear that could get complicated too. But maybe not. I guess I'm thinking the shop can either accept that payment (credit card) before they do they work -- eliminating their need to finish the car in a timely manner (these are the dudes that took until today to get me an estimate from tuesday). Or if they can only bill after the work -- and she claims she's waiting for that bill -- what if she disputes it when it finally comes or disappears before it comes? Then, the shop is owed the money...and guess who'll they'll want it from.

Comment

I'd get a money order in a public place. That's what Starbucks is for, right? I think one estimate is fair. I like Heidi's suggestion of offering to have her pay with a credit card at the shop but I would only offer that if she balks at getting a money order and have the shop make sure the number is valid and can accept that charge.

My dad -- a guy in a RV backed into my his car. The guy was borrowing the RV and of course felt horrible. He didn't want it to be an insurance problem for his friend or his own so he offered to pay for the repair. He gave my dad his contact info but I don't think he expected it to cost $800. It did enough damage to the bumper that it had to be replaced. He couldn't come up with the money or at least not all of it. I can't remember what happened but my dad kept at it. I think he got some money from the guy. He held off on fixing it. To add to the situation, the car is a BMW so I'm sure the guy thought my dad could just pay for it himself.

Also, my dad saw it happen so the guy was caught. I think it bodes well that she left a note for your wife. She could have just as easily driven off.

Comment

Yeah, I dinged someone's bumper years ago and it was $600 if I remember right. I paid it but I do remember thinking, gosh that's a lot of money. But if you've ever had any repairs done (on any car) you know you can't get ANYTHING repaired cheaper than $500.

Yeah, I hear you on the BMW thing. It's illogical but people do it to absolve themselves of responsibility (well, they could pay). Terrible reasoning.

But just that reasoning alone is why haven't said DW is a resident. Oh, let the big doctor fix her own car. When I did speak to the other driver I did fish for whether she worked at Hopkins, but she didn't.

The last thing I want to do is pay for her mistake.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think $545 is that much for car repairs. I would email or call her today with the cost and say how about we meet at the Starbucks near the hospital (very public place) with cash or Money Order so neither insurance companies have to be bothered. If she was civil enough to leave a note, I doubt she is going to run away from payng the bill...at least that what I hope. Good luck!
                Danielle
                Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Thanks everyone for replies. As soon as I get the photos (he sent estimate and photos are on the way), I'll call her and send her the pics and estimate. After reading the replies, I do think sooner is better than later. And I really think someone who left a note should be reasonable and trustworthy. Even if someone saw her do it, she could have left a bogus note for her audience. She also apologized to both of us for the inconvenience. Hopefully, I'm worried over nothing.

Public place (maybe not to close to the hospital -- several blocks away in the right direction might be safer for both of us).

Comment

You may also want to check with the police on the subject of liability. I had a baseball hit into my windshield (car was parked next to a fenced-in ballfield in a marked spot). The coach left a note. When I called him he claimed that he didn't know which kid did it during BP(yeah, right) and had only left the note so that I knew it wasn't done by teenaged hoodlums but was really an accident.

Fortunately I'd gone to the police station (across the parking lot) and filed a report before I spoke to the guy, so I knew that the law was on my side. At that point I was sure that it was his kid who'd done it, but I explained that according to the police, he was, in fact responsible. He could take it up with the appropriate parent, but I expected to be compensated.

Add to it that I went through our friends contacts and managed to get a new windshield installed for $145. It could have cost far more, and the guy should have been grateful I decided to use our contacts to make it more reasonable.

My point is - if the law is on your side and she knows you know it, she may be less likely to screw you around.

Comment

Now I'm curious about what happened with my dad's bumper and the guy paying. I think he realized that the RV driver worked at a place that wouldn't lend itself to an extra $800 for a bumper.

You have to let us know the outcome, Kevin! Give her the benefit of the doubt, on a short timeframe.

Comment

Jenn P. - Well, I have a note in my possession with her handwriting and her first and last name saying that she did it and that she was sorry. So, I don't think she'll try to wiggle out of it. Then, the number she gave worked and she has talked to both of us. My main worry was that she'd want me to run around getting more estimates and get squirrely when she saw the price.

I promise I'll give an update. Currently, autobody man hasn't sent the photos along with the estimate. I think the photos are essential - showing same car and letting her see the damage again.

ETA:
                        My point is - if the law is on your side and she knows you know it, she may be less likely to screw you around.
                        Well, if I needed to go that route, I could rightfully say that she broke Maryland law (even with her note). The letter of the law says that she should have left a note that included her name as well as driver's license and insurance information. But ....I doubt most people would leave all that on a note...not sure I'd leave more than my name and contact phone.

Comment

For whatever my thoughts are worth (which may not be much!), the one thing I'd suggest:

I'd make sure that she gives her credit card authorization BEFORE the work gets done (she can do this in a range--she authorizes all work "up to" a certain dollar amount, if she'd feel more comfortable).

I would do this if you get any kind of questionable vibe off her because...

Before the work gets done, you can "work out" an arrangement with the repair shop to bill only her...but if she does not render payment upon completition of the work, or if she does not render complete payment, the body shop very well may be able to keep YOUR car, regardless of who the person is who is responsible for the bill. It's called a mechanicman's lien, and it's perfected by the body shop's possession of your car upon which repairs have been made but the bill is outstanding. It's relief available in most states, and they will be able to hold your car until the bill gets paid.

But then, I am just cynical. She very well may be totally on the up-and-up and will pay for the repairs, no problem.

Comment

Kevin, I asked my dad last night what happened with his car. He said -- which time? :thud:

The RV to rear bumper -- never got the money. The guy gave him the run around and passed him from phone number to phone number.

Downtown side-swipe on door -- the other driver groaned about the cost but paid up. All fixed.

Comment

mechanicman's lien
                              Is that like what I've heard referred to as a "mechanical" lien - in the context of unpaid home repairs causing title transfer problems for the seller? Or are they one in the same and folks just referred incorrectly to them as a mechanical lean?

Comment

Working...
                              X