Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Strategy Thoughts Welcomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it works out OK. Here is my story:

A 45 year old man ran a stop sign and hit my daughter in my car. He asked her to please not call the police because he had teenage sons and his rates were already out of the roof. She said OK, but got his name. driver's license number, and insurance information (in his writing). When I called to give him the estimates (we had 3) he gave me the run around. Asked if I could wait, etc, etc. Finally I agreed to wait until after Christmas (two months now) and he could pay half in Jan. and half in Feb. (it was approx $1200). Well, he never paid and the last time I called him he said "How do I know you will even get the car repaired, I don't have to give you the money". Silly him, he and I had the same insurance comapany so I called them, told the story, and they paid for the repair. I had a check within a week. Then his rates did go up! Asshat.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
      ...the last time I called him he said "How do I know you will even get the car repaired, I don't have to give you the money". Silly him, he and I had the same insurance comapany so I called them, told the story, and they paid for the repair. I had a check within a week. Then his rates did go up! Asshat.
      Moron. Doesn't matter if you get the car repaired or not. The idea is that if you pocket the money instead of putting it in the car, you've still lost that amount of value in the car due to his recklessness. Duh. Glad you managed to get his insurance to pay up.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

"How do I know you will even get the car repaired, I don't have to give you the money". Silly him, he and I had the same insurance comapany so I called them, told the story, and they paid for the repair. I had a check within a week. Then his rates did go up! Asshat.
        Love It! :>

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
          mechanicman's lien
          Is that like what I've heard referred to as a "mechanical" lien - in the context of unpaid home repairs causing title transfer problems for the seller? Or are they one in the same and folks just referred incorrectly to them as a mechanical lean?
          Yeah, whoever you heard it from who called it a "mechanical lien" didn't have it quite right...it's called a "mechanic's lien" or (I guess, more the antiquated) "mechanicman's lien." I've never heard of a "mechanical lien"...(not to say that one doesn't exist, but I'd bet they meant a "mechanic's lien").

They are also called by a bunch of other names, too: artisan's lien, supplier's lien, contractor's lien...I guess, depending on who is asserting the lien.

When it's called a "mechanic's lien," you're usually referring to a lien on a car or other personalty (ie, not realty). However, re: your question regarding home repairs: you can assert a mechanic's lien (usually calling it a "contractor's lien") on the title to real property.

You'd have to check with your particular state's law to determine how the lien is attached and perfected, although usually there are a bunch of statutory notice requirements, at least for attachment to realty.

If the mechanic's lien is on personalty for repair costs owed, I swear I learned in law school that the mechanic has to be in possession of the car to get the lien (that is, if he releases it, he can't perfect). Most, but not all, states have mechanic's liens available for attaching to personalty.

Comment

What happened? Is it going smoothly?

Comment

What happened? Is it going smoothly?
              DW called her Sunday afternoon with news with the amount. She seemed friendly and said she needed to talk with her husband about whether to go the insurance route or not. She gave DW her e-mail so we could send the pics and estimate via e-mail (originally she wanted fax to her hubby's work fax). DW got off the phone with her and didn't give her a timeline to respond.

So, no word from her yet. We're going to call her again tonight with timelines, etc. DW thinks I'm too worried about this. She feels good about the lady. Indeed, I've tried to as well, but we'll see. I would think that $540 is a no-insurance no-brainer. I mean who has deductibles less than even $500?

Comment

Update...so we sent the estimate on Sunday and called and talked to other driver that day. Then, no word by Wednesday. DW left message. Thursday I called and spoke to other driver. Said busy and sorry. Said give word by Friday. (I called ready to rage last night.)

Today, driver called me and will put check in the mail. I praised her several times for leaving a note.

Comment

Good news!
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X