Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is this totally crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this totally crazy?

After watching Grizzly Man ( see movie reviews) I googled NP Alaska jobs and found a 13 week NP travel position. I sent my resume and the recruiter called me about 15 minutes later. She said that housing and transportation costs are paid, and the salary for 13 weeks is equivalent to more than a year's salary as an NP. It sort of sounds tempting. Financial woes could be hugely lessened. I guess I would take the girls with me and they said I could ask in my contract to have a week off after six weeks to go home. The odds of me actually doing this are very very slim but it does seem tempting.
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: Is this totally crazy?

i think it sounds awesome! some of the RN's i worked with traveled and made a killing! they had housing, insurance, travel, and food vouchers.

is there anyway for you to sign up as a traveler and stay local? i knew some that did that too.

good luck! sounds fun!
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

DH has a PA in his program that did something similar. She banked boocoo bucks and now works where she is b/c she likes the job, she could get paid a lot more as a nsurg PA in a lot of places. She'd like to go back someday but her partner isn't nuts about Alaska.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

If you could find adequate childcare, it may be worth seriously considering.

If you were granted the week off at the 6 week mark, would they cover your flight home? I'm assuming your flight would be covered going out there? What does your DH think?
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

DH has been picking up temporary contracts for 3 months here and there as a hospitalist in Hawaii, and I've been traveling with him for the last year. It is fantastic! We met another doctor here in Hawaii who worked for a year as a contract hospitalist in Alaska, and she really enjoyed it and plans to go back again soon. I would really check on the childcare, though, and make sure you have arrangements in place before you sign the contract. (The company your doing your contract through may be able to pay for your childcare, too.) Also, if you plan on taking the kids, make sure that the company that is setting up your housing and car rental knows that you need extra beds (or bedrooms) and a larger car or van to shuttle the kids around. Make sure you're clear on this point, as its a hassle (though very possible) to have to deal with making new arrangements after you arrive.

Comment

I would totally do it. In fact, a former colleague of mine and her husband would basically throw a dart at the US map and that would decide where they'd summer every year. they LOVED Alaska.

Jenn

Comment

Our babysitter is an art therapist. There aren't a whole lot of high paying art therapy jobs which is why she is also our babysitter. One of her classmates from her graduate program took a job in Alaska partly for the adventure and also for the pay. Ka-ching. She lives there during the school year in a rental for low rent and then has to move out in the summer so they can rent it out.

Anyway, if you do want to do this, I could get her contact info for you. She might have some ideas on childcare --- assuming you end up where she is. Juneau, I think.

Comment

This sounds like an amazing opportunity! I'll bet the kids would love it and remember it as quite an adventure.

Comment

I really doubt I will do this, really. I dont know about leaving my DH for 3 months and going somewhere that is dark 22 hours a day six months before he will be a fellow and can moonlight. DH and I google mapped it and there are NO roads and NO towns for thousands of miles. And I would be the only healthcare provider at a 'clinic'- since there is no hospital for thousands of miles, when someone gets a gunshot wound, they go to the clinic, poor labor outcome, they go the clinic, chopped their hand off, go to the clinic.

And rainbabies had an excellent point, I could do a temp contract somewhere much closer by, where we could at least see each other. But it still is tempting, I am sure it is something to do with me just watching Grizzly Man ( see movie reviews) and seeing how beautiful and wild Alaska is.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

True-

My colleagues husband did his gig for the summer (they winter in Corpus). It was amazing to see the picture of the bald eagle sitting on the telephone pole. (on the 4th of July no less)

I'd love to have a job that required travel again so I'm also foisting my own issues on you!

Jenn

Comment

May be you should watch the first few episodes of Northen Exposure before giving your final answer. A friend of ours (rad resident) had a lead for a job in Alaska that also paid a ridiculous amount of money but in the end decided she couldn't do it. I think I would only attempt it in the summer and in certain areas.

Comment

Could you take a grandparent with you to watch the kids? If I didn't have 2 cats and 2 dogs that would perish if they depended on DH, I would go wth you. Would they want two NPS? Hey, we could split shifts and childcare!!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

This sounds like an amazing opportunity!! DO IT! DO IT!!

WAIT - Would you have internet? (Not asking for selfish reasons.. really.)

Comment

Working...
                          X