Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Heating bills for Northernites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating bills for Northernites

We are trying to figure out how much house we can afford when we move for fellowship. We are going to rent not buy. Heating costs here in the winter are 200 a month, more or less, less considering this month it has barely been sweater weather.

Arent they much much more in the North? Are there any factors to consider in types of heat ( ie I heard Janet mention something about heating oil?) What is an average heat bill per month for a 2000SF house?

Thanks!
    Mom to three wild women.

Re: Heating bills for Northernites

We just filled the tank for $534 (like Lily's) and expect it to last us 2 - 2.5 months if we are conservative. Since we have kids at home we do keep it warmer so maybe closer to the 2 month mark is more accurate. 1400 sq ft and at 68-70. One thing to look for is whether the water heater is electric or also oil. Ours is fuel heated.

Comment

Our latest heating bill for our 900-something sq ft house was about $100 (we keep it about 68 degrees in the house). Maybe you could extrapolate for a 2000-sq ft house and guesstimate about $200-$250/mo?
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Not in the north...but we use a balance billing payment plan. We don't have a/c in the summer and our gas bills are much lower. It's nice to have the same payment every month. I know you can't do that with oil heat though.

Comment

It varies a LOT based on the age of the house, and then even more based on the age of the windows and roof. It cost us as much to heat our Cleveland house to 50 degrees (about 1100 sq feet, built in 1942 w/maybe 15 year old windows and OOOOOLD roof), as it did to heat this house to 68 degrees (about 2900 sq feet, built in 2003) for the winter where we owned both.

We do the "economy plan" where we pay a specific rate throughout the year so we don't get slammed in the winter. We pay about $110/year round.

Comment

We can lock in oil at a known rate (SOOOO wish we'd done that this year!). I like the idea of having a known rate year round. We don't have AC and our fuel use is just for hot water during the non-winter months. Then a tank can be expected to last pretty much from spring to fall.

Definitely look into insulation, as Jenn is pointing out it can make it vary hugely. Also look into electric rates. I've found that to be the most variable bill so far with each move.

Comment

Are you looking into renting a house or apt/condo? Look into the location of the house/unit. My parents are on a cliff in NJ and it's always freezing in their place, we're in a valley in PA and barely had to turn on heat this winter. If you rent a condo/apt heat is usually included in the rent.

Comment

Yes, it is common that an old condo or apartment in the city has got steam heat. We don't pay for heat. We sleep here with the windows open a crack and it's still 65 degrees in the apartment. During the day, we've got t-shirts on and we sit in a warm, toasty 75 degrees.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We definitely want a house. I need a yard, bad. I like to garden, I need some space, I want to turn the kids loose out back. That is why living in NYC was so painful, no earth bt my toes for months on end.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

We live in an 1800sf house since we've been here our coldest months are December - February (12-20 degrees). Our average gas bill those three months for the last three years is $70 - $110. Our house was built in '92 and I'll be interested to see how our bills compare this year as we had all new windows installed in September.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Dead of winter, $250-$350. I'll have to look at the bills and do an average.
                      Luanne
                      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Funny you should post this because last week we got a letter from our oil company regarding a hike in oil prices ($100/month!!!!). Unfortunately, we forgot to lock in this year (won't make that mistake again!!! )

We have a 1600 sq foot old home (80years) with some windows that need replacing upstairs and questionable insulation... Our oil heats our house and our water heater. We pay about $210/month. Although we have our heat programmed to 65 while we're at work. I do tend to hike it to 70 when we're at home (and down to about 67 while sleeping).

I'm sure newer homes are more energy-efficient than ours.
                        Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Comment

Working...
                        X