Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who's feeling like your budget is blown due to food/gas/econ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's feeling like your budget is blown due to food/gas/econ

Funny a year ago we were trying to get a budget for residency and figure out it all with great pains, now it's clear to me that it's a losing situation. We shop as economically as possible but, um it is clear to me that budget has flown the coop. How on earth can anyone budget these days, the pump was $ 3.62 last week and was $3.78 today? So far we haven't gotten a cc balance this year, but I'm worried it may not be soon until we do....

Anyone else feeling the hamster race to cut costs but realize with the receipt in hand it didn't work? I for one am trying to stay home a... lot.

Too bad the residency programs can't afford to up salaries with inflation.

Re: Who's feeling like your budget is blown due to food/gas/econ

[quote]U.S. food prices at the retail level will rise between 4% and 5% this year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Last year, retail food prices rose 4%, the largest increase since 1990./quote]

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/05/0 ... =lingospot

So we could be paying close to 10% more for just food since 2006. Better than not being able to afford food at all like some countries, but still...

Comment

Ironically, in some ways the gas prices have helped me to keep the food budget in check. Instead of zipping around to this store and the other and being tempted by random things on the shelves, I'm finally planning my grocery trips; sticking to stores where I can get everything at one go (ie. no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's where I get so easily sidetracked); and walking to the farmer's market every week.
      Alison

Comment

Well, at our Neighborhood Association meeting last night, the local grocery store chain announced that they were closing our closest grocery store. Niiiiice.

So, it's now official- there is ONE grocery store in downtown San Antonio and it's not the chain BASED IN San Antonio.

I haven't been to the other store but I'm so pissed off at Big Chain that I plan to not use them for a very long time.

(oh, and no plans for a downtown store and no plans to do delivery. and there are 18,000 people due to move downtown over the next few years with all of the infill and condo devleopment. How short-sighted can they BE?)

I'm emailing TJs today.

and yes, this means a LOT more driving because the closest store will now be 3 more miles away. on the highway.

Jenn

Comment

We definitely feel the pinch. DH has to drive a lot- it's something like 60 miles round trip each day. We can't live closer in. He will take the metro when he starts a new rotation in July, and that will last for 4 months, but after that... He has lots of rotations really far away coming up-- like from 70-120 miles round trip.

Food budget bites too.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Jenn that is really unbelievable. The downtown area I thought was revitalizing. It's not like it's a huge city (the downtown area) that the thought process of a grocery store would be lost in the size. DH's father works downtown with AT&T, walks the River Walk every lunch hour, and talks about how busy the area is. :huh: This seems like a huge oops on someones part. My inlaws just recently moved to Cibolo to move out of the very high tax area in SA they lived in for DH's sister's school. She is married now, so they wanted to move to their future retirement home. He commutes 45 min one way now... these gas prices are not kind to them either...

Comment

I'm so glad we're out of training, but with student loan repayment and our spending increasing with increased salary, I'm definitely watching it with food and gas. Our gas prices jumped from $3.75 yesterday morning to $3.95 in the afternoon. Yuck! I just remind myself how lucky we've been for years to have low gas prices, but it really doesn't help.

In this area, most of the chain grocery stores have gas stations attached where, depending on what you spend the previous month in groceries, you can get money off of gas. So, I've started becoming a crazy planner. I need socks for DD. Instead of just going to Old Navy to get them, I went to the grocery, bought an Old Navy gift card (so I can get some credit toward my gas), then I'll go to Old Navy and get the socks. The grocery also has a promotion right now where, if you buy a $300 gift card, they'll add $30 to the card. On top of that, we'll get an increased amount off of gas. For the time being, I'm just being as creative as possible.

I've also started stockpiling pantry and deep-freeze items. I figure prices are only going to go up, so when I have a coupon or there is a good sale, I buy it. We couldn't have done that in training. Even if we had extra cash a certain month, I didn't have room in the pantry beyond what we needed short term, and we couldn't afford a deep freeze. Now, I think that thing has already paid for itself in what I've saved on meat costs alone.

I'm glad it's getting to be nicer weather where we can walk more to places we're going!!
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Wow Deebs, that's a nice deal! Right now for the first time I'm trying to use the CVS coupons you get. Some moms I know have this system all figured out, but some things you buy you get a $5 "rebate" towards a future purchase. Also there are $3 off a $15 purchase coupons that print off. I did this for some sunblock and face cleaner/moisturizer that I needed and was able to knock off a decent amount. Also I am buying a lot of my dairy, cereal, and some veggies from Sam's club. It's the only place milk is $3.25 a gallon.

Any other tips people are using that you feel like sharing? Share the love folks

Comment

I need to start going to our Hy-Vee with a gas station attached, I just like the other one so much better! Yes, we're feeling the pinch too, going to one salary at the same time all this is happening isn't helping.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Julie-

That's the stupid part- the downtown is revitalizing! It's an amazing transformation! They're extending the RiverWalk from the Missions all the way up to the Zoo. There are five different condos happening- some are new construction, some are retrofitted. There are in-fill houses going in all through my neighborhood. It's CRAZY.

Oh well, I just ordered from http://www.Greenling.com (for all of the Texans near Austin- they're a new online grocer who delivers- and it's all local and/or organic stuff)

Jenn

Comment

Well, I had to get gas today. I usually wait until the indicator light comes on and then fill 'er up. I got to $75 and the pump shut off.....and I only ended up with 3/4 of a tank. Annoying! Not really anything I can do about it, though.

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Feeling the pinch here. They were reporting (on the news today) from a gas station in the city that selling $4.29/gallon for regular!

We don't go to TJs as much anymore, and instead just buy the staples we need. We could both afford to lose a little weight. That's the only good thing about all of this.
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

It's really driving me crazy - just on principle. The food isn't really going up noticeably (or I don't pay attention). But I am trying to condense/limit my driving. It's not working, but I'm trying.

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
                            Well, I had to get gas today. I usually wait until the indicator light comes on and then fill 'er up. I got to $75 and the pump shut off.....and I only ended up with 3/4 of a tank. Annoying! Not really anything I can do about it, though.

Sally
                            That's right - $75 is the CC cut off, isn't it? Surely they'll have to change that with prices being what they are.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                              Originally posted by mommax3

Sally
                              That's right - $75 is the CC cut off, isn't it? Surely they'll have to change that with prices being what they are.
                              Wow, I didn't realize they did that or could.... Shouldn't it stop at a certain amount of gas pumped vs the cost reached?

Comment

Working...
                              X