Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Health Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Insurance

varies greatly by program. there will be insurance offered, but there is no standard.

Re: Health Insurance

I have to tell you: I am extremely pleased with the health insurance we get through my DH's program. It was so good, in fact, that I dropped out of the BlueCross/Blue Shield offered through my federal job (which was quite good) and got our whole family on his insurance. The best thing about it is the maternity: a $15 co-pay for the first visit pre-natal visit, and nothing more other than a nominal lab co-pay for the first series of tests. When I was back at my old law firm in Dallas (which offered good health insurance), it was a flat $1500 fee for all prenatal and delivery. No such charge under DH's plan. Anyhow, over the course of the pregnancy, I have had to have four ultrasounds, an amnio, and an overnight hospitalization...and everything has been covered with no additional co-payment. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to be a good plan.

The only thing I think is a bit high is the ER co-pay: $75. But we don't go often, and I am willing to fork that over to be at the facility where DH works. A lot of benefits that way...

I guess I'm saying: some plans can be good!

Comment

We had $5 copays, and my OB waived that. We've had excellent coverage of everything except dental & vision. Even prescription coverage is great. I hope our coverage in fellowship will be as good, but probably we'll pay more for copays, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife

I guess I'm saying: some plans can be good!
        Yes - some can. Ours was good during residency - actually better than dh's first job as an attending. What I was trying to say is that some are good, some aren't. A lot of people presume that doctors automatically get better insurance b/c they're doctors, and that simply isn't the case. Our current insurance is FAR better, and dh is employed by a corporation. I have NO out of pocket expenses. NONE. No ER copay, office visit, percentage of procedures, prescriptions, NONE.

I think the plan type / coverage during residency can vary as much as moving from one "normal" job to another.

Comment

They usually talk about that stuff during interviews. You can sometimes find the information on the programs website, although sometimes it can be very inaccurate. Depending on what specialty you're going into health insurance usually isn't a deal breaker. You just want to match. All programs offer health insurance [dental and vision are another story]. Carriers and coverage vary [HMO, PPO, co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles, out of pocket maximums]. Some pay your entire monthly premium. Some pay a portion. Some pay for nothing. Some offer vision and dental, while others don't. It varies so much, you really won't know until you're at the interview and ask or really not until you're filling out your benefits paperwork. From my experience and others that we know that have gone through or are going through residency, you can get a range of paying nothing to having to pay monthly premiums of over $400 a month in addition to co-pays, ect.

Comment

Hopkins...resident and family for free. DW and I up late signing papers... I thought DW just lost some forms...sweet when I realized it wa complimentary.

Comment

Dh's program offers numerous plans and all are very good to great. One unexpected issue was that medical benefits here did not start until the end of summer. If you are planning, this would be something you'd want to know. Interviews generally offer the chance to ask these kinds of questions.

Comment

Working...
              X