Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

mortgage payment lost in the mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mortgage payment lost in the mail

So...I just checked our account balance and was surprised to see it is higher than I expected. The reason is the check for our mortgage payment hasn't cleared. I called Wells Fargo and they haven't received it nor has the post office scanned the bar code (who knew they could do that?). They were very nice about it and extended the date of the late period so that is all taken care of. The thing I am concerned about is this lost piece of mail and the post office never scanning it. I mailed 4 other bills at the same time and all of those have cleared. Big deal?

(I know...i should just switch to auto payment).

Re: mortgage payment lost in the mail

This happened to us regarding our health insurance payment. The check eventually got cashed and we basically pre-paid for the next month. It wasn't worth the fee to have the check stopped and whatnot. I think your check will turn up eventually, it's a matter of what Wells Fargo will do with it once they receive it. I'd keep your balance in your checking account with this amount just in case or you could end up with NSF charges.

Comment

This would make me nervous (surprised? ). How much would it cost to cancel the check? I'm a bit on edge about NSF right now.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

This would make me nervous, too. For an amount as large as a mortgage payment to be missing...I would have to cancel the check just for peace of mind.

Comment

I think I will cancel the check. The fee is small compared to the amount of the check. I'm more concerned that the check was stolen and that someone might have my personal info since the other bills went through.

Comment

Most banks will waive the stop payment fee in the event of a lost check, so I would most definitely ask.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. That kind of thing happens all the time. It would be wise to consider doing online banking bill pay, especially since most banks offer it for free these days. Most of the bills are processed electronically, and the ones that are mailed via a paper check are the banks problem to track if it should go missing. I probably write less than a dozen checks a year.
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake

(I know...i should just switch to auto payment).

UM YEAAAAHHHHH!

Nellie you're so good about money and investments...I'm surprised you still mail a check!!!!

SWITCH my friend!
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Yeah Nellie - I was kind of surprised at that one, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                  Yeah Nellie - I was kind of surprised at that one, too!
                  add me to the suprised group! you're one of the main peeps i look towards for guidance in all things financial.:P oh, and i love auto pay thru my bank!!
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Geez, the pressure! Ok, ok, I'll do it!

I don't know why I still do checks either. I have about 1/3 of my stuff auto-pay and a the rest not. They will all be by the end of September.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                      Geez, the pressure! Ok, ok, I'll do it!

I don't know why I still do checks either. I have about 1/3 of my stuff auto-pay and a the rest not. They will all be by the end of September.
                      Ladies, our work here is done!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I don't do auto-pay for the majority of our stuff, b/c I don't like having to remember when exactly $$ is coming out since dh's paydays float (not the 1st and 15th as they used to be). But I DO use online bill pay, so it's still not me writing and sending the checks. That way I still feel like I've got more control over when exactly the funds are coming out of our account.

Comment

I have a few things on auto pay (like our mortgage) but everything else goes through our bank's bill pay which is free. But make sure a bill doesn't say on it "receipt must be included with payment" I had to pay late fees on both car registrations this year because the state returned the checks b/c the coupon wasn't with it, even though I had put the VIN number in the memo - ARGH!
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                            X