Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Auto Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Insurance

We've had both our auto and home policies with Allstate forever and they've been nothing but wonderful with us, even with our massive flood claims last year (yep there were two ). I fully expect our homeowners to skyrocket this year due to the claims, but I was shocked to find our auto rates jumped nearly 25%. We haven't had any claims and nothing changed. :huh:

So I'm shopping for a new company. I went to Progressive's site and got a quote that was about 40% lower with the same coverages! I also checked with AAA's website, but after putting in all the info, instead of giving me a quote, it said an agent would call me within the next 48 hours. WTF!

Who do you use for insurance? Are you satisfied with them? Any companies you've had good/bad experiences with? I hate to leave Allstate because they've been so good to us, but I can't justify the expense.

:anyolne:
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Re: Auto Insurance

I had State Farm before and now have Liberty Mutual. Your state Division of Insurance website might have a summary of complaints or something along those lines that you can check out.

That is too bad your auto rates went up too.

Comment

After getting several quotes, Geico seems to have the lowest premiums. Anyone have experience with Geico?

Comment

We've used Geico for our car insurance for four years, and we just signed up for their home insurance when we bought our house in May. Thankfully, we haven't had to make a claim, but I have a friend who did, and she said they were really great. The rates have always been the best, and I haven't heard of any bad experiences with them.

Just have to put this out there - my in-laws used State Farm for decades, and their house burned (electrical - it was not found to be their fault), and State Farm was awful. They tried to give the bare minimum on everything, and DH's parents ended up having to go through a third party company to get all the payments they were due. Maybe this was a fluke, but I would never, ever recommend State Farm after seeing what all they went through trying to get their claim fully processed.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

USAA and I love them but you have to be kinda sorta military.

Jenn

Comment

I found that Amica beat Geico slightly. I also found the geico phone people to be terribly annoying....but that's just me.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn

Jenn
              They're awesome. Half of my family members use them and have had nothing but awesome experiences. We have never had to file a claim but my parent's house was robbed and they just cut them a check for their estimated amount. No premium raise. No questions asked.

Comment

We have used Geico in the past (and had auto claims) and they were great. Unfortunately, they rate-jacked us when DH became an attending. We switched to Liberty Mutual and have been happy. Our only claim was for food loss during our week-long power outage. It went very smoothly, but I think we asked for the least of anyone I know (most people had to move into hotels and had roof damage).
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We've shopped around every couple of years for both home and auto insurance...right now we have Progressive for our cars....and I don't remember who for the house right now. Russ clearly pays the bills.
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We have had State Farm forever. We love 'em and have never had a large rate hike on homeowners or auto.
                    Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                    Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Jenn

Ditto this... Our auto rates are pretty much unbeatable (we've called around-- way cheaper than Geico) but the homeowners can run a little higher...

Overall we save lots using them, and they did not raise our rates even though we just had the big claim for DH's accident.
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

We had Allstate forever, until they raised our premiums through the roof for NO reason (on our part.) The secretary of our agent called us when this happened and basically told us to leave Allstate because we could find MUCH cheaper.

We've had State Farm for 2 years now. The premiums are very cheap, but we've never filed a claim. I have heard that State Farm can be difficult for claims.

Comment

We have American Commerce Insurance through AAA for home and auto. We have loved AAA and have not had any problems.
                          Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

We have had GEICO for approximately 8 years and did have to file a big claim when our brand new minivan was in a tornado. Even though every single car in the area had extensive hail damage and all insurance agents were slammed, they got back to me fairly quick and pretty much cut me a check without any hassle after it was appraised. We now have our homeowners through GEICO's partner...Travelers' (I think?).

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Jenn
                              If we're not military, are we still able to use them?

Comment

Working...
                              X