Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

USAA has changed their eligibility!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAA has changed their eligibility!

Hey- front page of the San Antonio newspaper today- USAA has changed their eligibility requirements because apparently they realized that turning away 40,000 people a year was not a good business decision.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/military...omer_pool.html

According to the paper, if you have EVER served, you spouse has EVER served or your parent has EVER served, (or your ex spouse has served and you have not yet remarried), you are eligible to bank with USAA now.

I encourage anyone who qualifies to join because they are awesome. We have or have had in the past: checking, savings, rollover retirement, house and car insurance, life insurance, car loan, personal loans and a 529 for dude's college education.

We used their buyer's advantage program in DC and that's how we found our fabulous realtors.

Jenn
    Last edited by DCJenn; 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM. Reason: added web link

THANK YOU. I will try again. It really irritated me (as you may have noticed ) that my MIL was not eligible despite serving during a war and being honorably discharged. I've heard their insurance is great.

Comment

Their customer service is absolutely second to none; you always get a human, they are *very* friendly and helpful. I am *so* glad I signed up while I was married to a guy in the reserves.

I just opened a checking account with them recently (already had car insurance and a savings account), to replace our keybank account (we only got that account to have local no-fee ATMs...our main accounts are still with a CU in Portland). We can deposit checks to USAA using their website and our scanner, which is *awsome*. Never have to hit up an ATM except to get cash, and USAA reimburses ATM fees for up to 10 withdrawls per month (if I'm remembering correctly).

Key was horrible, USAA is absolutely wonderful in comparison.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Oh yeah- that deposit at home service is incredible- and apparently there's an iphone app that allows you to take a picture of the check and send it to them. Seriously, all you do is scan the front and back of the check you want to deposit, follow a few of their steps in the online program and bam- your check in deposited.

Cassy, their customer service is so amazing that when we had the tub leak in the bathroom, the adjustor came out on a SUNDAY and I had the check deposited in the bank on Monday morning.

Jenn

Comment

ITA with what everyone has said. People have asked me if I work for USAA because I rave about them so much. Not only is their customer service awesome but I always feel that they have my back. When local bank said that we had not paid our mortgage when USAA had in fact sent them a check...they took them on. When car rental place wanted to charge us $300 for a rock chip less than the size of a dime...USAA told us not to pay - they took them on and no, our rates did not goup. Oh- I could go on and on.

My only fear with them is that (since they are so awesome) we have evrything with them - if they ever became crappy like other banks/mortgages/loans/insurance/travel/stores/etc., etc., we would be in a world of hurt because we do everything with them.

Luuurve them!!!
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Ditto the high praise for USAA. They are awesome. It's easy to get to speak to a human for your car insurance issues, insurance is great, and I've been very impressed with their banking services...

If you can qualify, do it...

Also, if your parents get in, you can get in through them. So, if you have relatives who may qualify due to these new regulations, get them to sign up and then you might be able to back door in. I got into USAA thru my dad who was in the Navy way back when. I started with car insuarnce only. Then, when DH and I got married I made hiim switch to MY plan. He had State Farm. from there, we eventually started banking there full time and have been very happy with it. It's a royal PITA to change banks, but now we don't ever have to worry about it, since they have the deposit at home, the nice ATM cards, etc.

Commercial over...
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I will continue with the high praise. I got it through my step-mom who's father served. Though under these new requirements, I could get it through either of my grandfathers via my parents as well.

They are literally so friendly it takes you by surprise. Of course that may change if they're taking on a bunch of new people.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

No dice. My MIL has to have car, homeowners or renters insurance through them for us to qualify. She has none of those things to insure. Too bad they didn't change the policy a few years ago. Good news for lots of people though!
                Last edited by cupcake; 11-05-2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

and apparently there's an iphone app that allows you to take a picture of the check and send it to them.
                  Yup--a coworker uses it all the time and loves it because there is no branch nearby
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                    No dice. My MIL has to have car, homeowners or renters insurance through them for us to qualify. She has none of those things to insure. Too bad they didn't change the policy a few years ago. Good news for lots of people though!
                    Doesn't she have any stuff? Could she *get* a renter's insurance policy through them for it? I'm pretty sure you don't have to be the one paying the rent in order to get a renter's insurance policy...
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Yes. I have gone back and asked them (they are going to love me!). I'm going to try that. She doesn't have much personal property nor is it worth but much but if they will insure it, we will pay the policy. That should work. Now I have to get a DD214 or something like that for her enlistment date and rank. I'm sure that was among the thousands of pieces of paper we shredded.

Comment

You can request free deposit envelops to send in your checks. Some checks don't scan well (like checks from rebates) and so I've used these envelops from USAA to deposit checks thru snail-mail before. The deposit envelops are free, they come in sets of 10 or 20 I think, and they are postage paid.

Easy peasy.
                        Peggy

Comment

What she said- they come in packs of 10 I think and they're labelled priority mail so it takes maybe 5 days from the day you drop it in the mail until it shows up in your account.

Oh, they also do a profit sharing thing every year and when they make money they share it among all of the members. It's pretty sweet to get a random check every year- it's never been less that $100 either that I can recall.

Jenn

Comment

That's b/c you are all money bags, Jenn... Just Kidding!!!

Our paltry accounts yield us even somewhere in the range of 40-70 every year. Hey, we'll take it! It's a great bonus!
                            Peggy

Comment

They seriously have every penny I have ever deposited into a retirement account except for one tiny little account that I have left with Fidelity. Rick better be nice to me...

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X