Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Quick question re: credit card double charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question re: credit card double charge

We went out to eat at a restaurant on Friday night.

Our credit card was charged twice for the dinner, once without tip and once with tip. The transactions (different amounts) show up as though we ate there on Friday night and again on Saturday.

How do you go about resolving this? I'm a little concerned, because the manager's English at this restaurant is very weak. Do I go directly through the CC company or first try to resolve this with the restaurant?

Thanks!
    married to an anesthesia attending

I would try the restaurant first and if you don't get it resolved, then I would try the CC company. No matter what I would document everything carefully. Do you still have the receipt from the restaurant?
    Kris

Comment

I would go directly to the CC company considering the charges have already gone through. I'm not sure the restaurant could reverse the charges at this point (but I am not sure on that). The one time this happened to us, the CC company just took care of it following one phone call.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
        Do you still have the receipt from the restaurant?
        My dh always throws those receipts away, because they make his "wallet too thick." I'll check with him.

The transactions are for different amounts on different days... We'll see how this goes!

Comment

We were quadruple charged once. (but just for a small item) We went straight to the CC company, they took care of it all. THey contacted the vendor to tell them we'd been charged mult times, and that if the vendor couldn't produce the signed receipt for our purchases (all 4 different transactions) that the vendor would be *out* the money. In the meantime, they credited us back (the CC company) while the vendor had time to look for the slips.

So, my vote is to call the CC company. This happens often enough. Probably it's an honest mistake, but it does make you want to use CC to pay for something much less often, doesn't it?
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Yeah, I'd talk to the restaurant first; if they say they'll send a credit, it should show up in a few days. If it doesn't, just call and explain to the card company; they'll ask the merchant for receipts, and in the meantime you won't owe for the charge you're disputing.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

alison is the charge without the tip really a charge or just a hold?

Credit card machines are cleared out on a regular basis, usually daily however if its not done right those charges can carry over to the next day. Its probably that if that is what happened a lot of people were double charged.

I'd call the restaurant, then I'd call the credit card company if they don't agree to credit the wrong charge.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I called the restaurant and their voicemail came up. I'm trying to do all this in M's naptime, so instead of leaving a voicemail on the restaurant's line, I simply called the CC company right after. They could see the transactions in question. They asked if I contacted the restaurant, and I said that I tried, but there's a language barrier. So... I wasn't 100% honest about having reached them, but man, I just wanted to get this taken care of... I suck, I know... Will that come back to haunt me in some way?

What it boils down to is that I don't pay one of the amounts (the amount without tip), and it'll be removed from my balance within a week.

Now, I've got a bad conscience because I didn't even try to resolve this with the restaurant.

ETA: The amount without tip is an actual charge.

Comment

Ummmm, Alison, I don't get why you feel guilty...

This happens a lot.

It's not like the restaurant looks bad to the CC company, or they have a red flag... Just assume it's an honest mistake, but allow yourself to be annoyed that you had to make a phone call!
                  Peggy

Comment

I'm positive this is an honest mistake - and one that happens to every restaurant once in a while. You're actions are fine, no one will get in "trouble" and no one will be upset (unless the double charge was purposeful..which I highly doubt!)

Relax and enjoy the time you've got during M's nap!!
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                      Ummmm, Alison, I don't get why you feel guilty...

This happens a lot.

It's not like the restaurant looks bad to the CC company, or they have a red flag... Just assume it's an honest mistake, but allow yourself to be annoyed that you had to make a phone call!
                      I just jumped on the fact that the cc company misinterpreted my answer to the question of whether I had spoken to someone at the restaurant as having ALREADY spoken to someone. I said "I attempted to call the restaurant, and am concerned about the language barrier." And then I ran with the cc guy's assumption that I had already spoken to someone. It saved me another phone call...

I'm all about feeling guilty. Don't you know that by now?

Comment

Yes, I know... THat's why I'm telling you to not sweat it!!!

You have been absolved of your perceived white lie which is not even actually a white lie...

Feel better?
                        Peggy

Comment

I'm the silliest high-strung crazy person you will ever meet, Peggy.

Comment

Aw Alison, I think most of us would have done that and I would not feel guilty if I were you!
                            Glad that it all got taken care of!

Comment

I think everything will be fine. You should definitely not feel guilty. You did try to contact the restaurant, and after all it was not your mistake. The good thing is that it was taken care of. The restaurant gets paid, the server gets a tip, and you did not overpay for your dinner...everyone wins!

Comment

Working...
                              X