Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Census Job: Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Job: Is it worth it?

I just got the call for a Census job. I’m not sure if I can work this out tho with the baby. I’m a SAHM to a five month old. It sounds like I can do most of my work on the weekends and evenings while DH is home with her. The “problem” is the training class. It’s M-F 8-5, and it starts in a couple weeks.

All total I’m looking at about 4K in pay for this job. I really could use that money. How much would it cost to pay someone to watch her for a week? Is it even worth the headache? Would you do it if you were in my shoes?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Hmmm...my grandparents just got a job with them too--opening envelopes for $17/hour part time. Is that what you'll be doing? She said the other option was door-to-door and she didn't feel safe doing that
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I have to drive around and note the correct addresses... or if there is a new building/home... or a building/home is no longer at a certain address.

Also, it’s only for 8 weeks.

Comment

You can always drive around w/ the baby, as long as you're not going to skeevy neighborhoods! and even after paying for a sitter, you'd still make a couple thousand if you have to go that route.

J

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
          You can always drive around w/ the baby, as long as you're not going to skeevy neighborhoods! and even after paying for a sitter, you'd still make a couple thousand if you have to go that route.

J
          DH has most weekends off. So I'm hoping to do most of this on weekends. The main issue is the week of orientation.

I just talked to the college girl next door. She is in school until noon each day. Bummer. I have another contact that I am very certain will or will know of someone that can watch her that week. The issues I'm wondering about is how much to pay someone for a week of sitting????????? Don't we have a couple ladies on here that watch kids at home?

I'm also thinking about putting her in the hospital daycare. They are open everyday 24 hrs a day. That might be better just in case I do need to take her part of the time during the week or on a weekend that DH works.

Comment

The cost varies greatly depending on the city you live in. The going rate in my town is about $190 a week in home daycare.

Comment

I'm paying $10 to a college girl for coming over to watch Isabel, so even at that rate a week would cost you $450. A number of local day care places are cheaper but I'm not comfortable putting her in one just yet.

Comment

I'm guessing that whoever you end up having watch the baby will have an idea of how much they want to get paid. I actually worked for the last Census when I was in college. I started off going to people's homes who had not returned their Census, but I didn't like doing that, so I had a connection that got me into the office to call people to confirm their info. It was a pretty easy job.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                  I'm paying $10 to a college girl for coming over to watch Isabel, so even at that rate a week would cost you $450. A number of local day care places are cheaper but I'm not comfortable putting her in one just yet.
                  Based on what I was paid as a nanny, that would seem about right. You might find someone for $8 since babies are easier to care for in some ways (if that makes sense)
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                  X