Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Need a landlord's perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a landlord's perspective

Sorry for so many posts in this area--we are just so new to all of this.

So, we found a great place to rent, but now we have to make some decisions. It's in a great (and VERY safe) location, and has been completely gutted and redone. It's a duplex and the landlord will be living next door--met him, seems like a nice guy. Wont even be there most of the time as he travels during the week. Has an obvious interest in keeping the place up as he will be living there and has made some very nice improvements (new floors, paint, all new appliances, security fences, security system, new landscaping, etc.)

Everything else we've looked at so far in this area has been in a dubious area or very old/not kept up.

The catch is no washer/dryer connections and no dishwasher. We said those were deal breakers for us, and he gave us options today.

Option 1: Keep as is and pay the asking rate $900/month
    Option 2: He'll pay the installation costs (cabinets need to be ripped out) and install brand new tankless hot water heater and dishwasher, and put in the washer/dryer connections for $950/month--we would try and buy a cheap set off craigslist
    Option 3: He'll do the same as above and install a brand new washer/dryer for $1000/month

We wont do option #3, but I'm wavering about #2--every other place we've looked at had a dishwasher standard. The house is ~90 years old, and he is a bachelor who doesn't cook, so it wasn't there before the remodel, and I honestly just don't think he thought about it. I'm not sure how I feel about paying that much extra for an appliance that will be his to keep when we leave, and is going to make a difference to any other renter. The tankless hot water heater is nice (and very expensive), but it obviously doesn't make a difference to us--it's more of an investment for him. He said needed a tankless in order to put in washer/dryer connections, though, so that's why it's part of the deal.

So, landlords, what do you think is reasonable? We really don't want to pay more than $950/month--that is what we budgeted as our max, and for $1000+, we could look at better options anyway. I'm worried the rent will go in the next couple years too...not sure what we should be looking at there.

I added some pics just for fun...
    Attached Files
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I'd do option 2 and be grateful that he is willing to do it. The tear out / install work is expensive (especially if the water line isn't set up yet), the additional water / electricity usage should be considered as well, if he's paying utilities. Yes, it will make it more attractive to future renters, but apparently the whole place is more already attractive than most available in your price range.

Comment

We had a portable dishwasher in one of our apartments when we were first married for a year, and it was very doable and awesome. It had a butcher block top, and you just wheeled it over to the sink to do dishes when necessary.

I would do that. You could possibly find one on craigslist and sell it in a few years when you're done. No washer dryer hookups would suck though. Personally, I would hate having to go to the laundromat every week, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad and is a good trade off for you.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'd do #2. When you're done, you might offer to sell him the appliances. He'll have a hole he has to fill for the next tenants anyway!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'd do #2. When you're done, you might offer to sell him the appliances. He'll have a hole he has to fill for the next tenants anyway!
          Well, he would be buying the dishwasher--we would just be paying the extra rent for to make up for the installation/appliance costs

The portable dishwasher idea is intriguing...there are only two of us. We'd also be losing cabinet space if he put the dishwasher in--if you look in the pictures, what you see is all the cabinet/counter space in the kitchen (though it is big enough for a portable island)

How worth it are these portable dishwashers?
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Oh! I think I got 2 and 3 mixed up.
            Doing these changes brings value to the apartment, so you both win, I think.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

From my experience: The best thing in the world is the washer/dryer in unit!! We rented from a fantastic unit for a little over 3 years where the washer and dryer were right outside our door and two doors down (there were 2 units underneath a large Victorian and we shared the coin-op laundry with the other unit). And coin-op laundry just sucks!!! Even that was a hassle for me, I'd procrastinate like crazy to do laundry. Now that we have a washer and dryer in our unit - it is heavenly - we will never ever live somewhere without again. That is a huge deal-breaker for us.

Good luck! I'd go with #2.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Seriously. You're looking at shelling out an extra $600 over the course of a year, and if the water hookups aren't even there yet, I highly doubt he'll even recoup his costs in that year, even before buying appliances. I think it's entirely reasonable, and I think it's great that he's willing to work with you.

Comment

ITA with Jenn. Go for option 2. You *do not* want to have to schlep your laundry outside the house and babysit it at a laundromat if you can AT ALL avoid it, and the increase does not seem unreasonable at all, especially if you'll only be there a few years, and you love everything else about this place.

To me, the laundry is a MUCH bigger deal than the dishes. The place we're renting now doesn't have a dishwasher (and doesn't have room for it; installing one would take a complete kitchen remodel), and I thought it would be a problem...but it hasn't been. Dirty dishes piled up really bugs DH, and it's "his" chore (like laundry is mine), so he keeps on top of it, and I help by putting clean dishes away (takes 2 minutes a day, tops). *shrug*. When he's so busy he can't wash dishes, he's also too busy to do enough cooking to dirty many dishes, too, so it works out.
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Haha, after having a little chat with DF, I think we are going to do option #2 and see if he'll give us a 2 year lease at the same rate. Apparently rents are depressed right now, and it wont really do us any good to get an affordable place for just one year, only to have it shoot up the next. I've moved EVERY YEAR for the past 4 years in college and I refuse to do that for the next 4 years too! We cook WAY too much to not have a dishwasher, and I think the portable one might be a major PITA--I expect we would run it every 1.5 days based on the amount of dishes we produce now. (With 3 girls in one apartment we run it every day, and a lot of the dishes are mine)

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                      Haha, after having a little chat with DF, I think we are going to do option #2 and see if he'll give us a 2 year lease at the same rate. Apparently rents are depressed right now, and it wont really do us any good to get an affordable place for just one year, only to have it shoot up the next. I've moved EVERY YEAR for the past 4 years in college and I refuse to do that for the next 4 years too! We cook WAY too much to not have a dishwasher, and I think the portable one might be a major PITA--I expect we would run it every 1.5 days based on the amount of dishes we produce now. (With 3 girls in one apartment we run it every day, and a lot of the dishes are mine)
                      Even if you go with the portable dishwasher, running every night as you get ready for bed isn't that big of a deal. We did it for years when I was a kid.
                      Kris

Comment

Portable dishwashers really aren't a big pain; that's why I mentioned it. Actually, the portable dishwasher that we had worked better than any of the built-ins I have had before or since. They are actually really simple to use. I would be way more worried about schlepping the laundry.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I read that they can accidentally disconnect and cause a flood--did either of you ever have any problems with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                            Seriously. You're looking at shelling out an extra $600 over the course of a year, and if the water hookups aren't even there yet, I highly doubt he'll even recoup his costs in that year, even before buying appliances. I think it's entirely reasonable, and I think it's great that he's willing to work with you.
                            Yes, this!
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I agree with everyone else about option #2. It is TOTALLY worth $50 to have in house laundry. To be able to do a load everyday is such a lifesaver (you will be so glad you have it when he starts cadaver lab - man does that make them STINK!!!). You don't want to have to cart off your laundry every week!

Ideally how long are you looking to rent? Because if you are going to rent for a while that is another reason to go with #2 because you will eventually have kiddos and that makes going to a laundromat even more rough.

Also I wouldn't worry about rent going up. Most landlords will not raise rent much on existing tenants if they are GOOD tenants, it is much easier to keep a good tenant that to try and find another good tenant. It can be expensive to have a month or several months without renters. I would think that having a young couple or family would be dream tenants. College kids are going to be much harder on a place! Raising rent significantly on a current tenant is a huge risk. (Ofcourse I am NOT a landlord, and am only speaking from observing my parents as they have had several rental properties over the years).

Congrats on finding the place!
                              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X