Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Credit card debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that I am also suspicious and skeptical. I just have a hard time swallowing any goodness by any residency program, so forgive my bitterness coming through on this. Just don't count the money until it's in your hand.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'd be really careful using the credit card as a crutch right away. I made an oops and paid a loan of ours late (med school loan that is only $40 a month). Well that was enough to flag the credit card company to look at our credit cards and they halfed our credit overnight. Now, we were ok when they did that, but still it's scary as hell when the cc companies can take away your crutch overnight over something so benign. Nothing is secure in finances right now, so I'd keep that tucked back in your mind...

Comment

it's scary as hell when the cc companies can take away your crutch overnight over something so benign. Nothing is secure in finances right now, so I'd keep that tucked back in your mind...
        Yes, it is a new day in credit, kids. I can't believe the change from my impoverished early twenties (free credit bonanza!) to my much more stable mid thirties ("just sign away the blood of your three small children and we'll loan you $3 at 17%!)
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Pay down the debt. Here's why- 1) you will improve your credit rating which can help you negotiate lower rates further down the road 2) If you have an emergency, you will have the ability to use the credit cards and 3) in 4 years you will have paid WAY more than the 4 k that's currently on the cards.

Credit cards are a tool of the devil.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
            I have to say that I am also suspicious and skeptical. I just have a hard time swallowing any goodness by any residency program, so forgive my bitterness coming through on this. Just don't count the money until it's in your hand.
            "I was always under the impression that you had to finish your intern year before you could moonlight anywhere?? Perhaps it's something in-house where they can avoid that."

Just to clarify DH said he will be eligible for moonlighting early next year. His program is small and moonlighting is expected. Everyone in his program does it. I never even looked at it as goodness from the program. It's just how his particular program is. It's pretty much whether you want to or not, you're moonlighting.
            Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the credit card debt.

Comment

Working...
            X