Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Adjusting to a new pay schedule -- Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting to a new pay schedule -- Help!

We've never lived on once-a-month pay. Ever. When I was the breadwinner, I was paid twice a month. Residency paid every other week. The university pays once a month - on the 1st. So help me God, I am . I've already screwed up this month. Need to have our mortgage payment moved to the beginning of the month I think.

Any tips? Should I have all the bill due dates changed to the beginning of the month? Change the frequency of large grocery shopping? I had been doing two major grocery shopping trips a month. The day of or after payday. The last one in June was large enough that I still haven't made another Costco trip.

Mortgage, water, electric & cell phones/internet have been paid. I think car insurance will come out today or tomorrow.

Please help me budget. How do you keep from having too much month at the end of your paycheck? I'm so used to multiple paychecks per month and I don't want to screw up another month. We don't have a credit card to fall back on either.

And he doesn't have all his credentials to moonlight yet, but they are in the works.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

I pay us once/month. DH's checks are automatically deposited into our savings account and on the 1st of the month I put our monthly budget into the checking account. Almost all of our bills are auto pay through their own websites or through our bank. On the first of the month I immediately deduct all bills from my register and set aside money for groceries, gas, etc. It takes discipline to make sure I'm not needing extra money at the end of the month and it took a few months to get there but it works.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have always been paid once a month, except for a few year where I got paid every 2 weeks. I totally understand it making budgeting a mess because I had to change our bill paying when we went to every two weeks. So, to answer your question, I have all our bills scheduled to be paid the first week of the month.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

This happened to me when I first started work. On the 8th of a month...I was really screwed that first month since I didn't get paid for 3 weeks. I found though that my bills (mortgage, electric, gas, credit cards, internet provider, cell phone provider, etc.) were more than happy to change my billing date at my request, I just needed to call. I moved everything to the 3rd of the month (cushion in case the 1st is a Saturday) and that way all relevant deductions were already gone before I could blink. It's rough to get on schedule but you'll have it down in no time.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Ooh good idea about changing the dates! I'll have to do that, since we are also paid monthly! When we were in undergrad, we lived on Pell grants and scholarships, so we were paid twice per semester. That was tough! What we did was deposit it all into savings, then transfer out a monthly allowance. Maybe you could do that, transferring out a biweekly "paycheck"?
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
            Ooh good idea about changing the dates! I'll have to do that, since we are also paid monthly! When we were in undergrad, we lived on Pell grants and scholarships, so we were paid twice per semester. That was tough! What we did was deposit it all into savings, then transfer out a monthly allowance. Maybe you could do that, transferring out a biweekly "paycheck"?

This is how we do it while where in med school, I assume we will do the same thing once residency starts.
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Great ideas! Thank you!!
              Veronica

Comment

Definitely schedule the bills to be paid when the money hits. We've done that forever and it's just easier. If there's no $ left, so be it but at least all of the priority bills are paid.

Jenn

Comment

We get paid monthly as well. We schedule as many bills as we can. I also have a second bank account that is really just spending money. A day or two before the next payday, I see what we have left in our primary checking account, and move a good deal of that money into my other checking account (which happens to be at the bank closest to our house, so I can force myself to ATM there). I don't know if this makes sense when I'm writing it, but it really works for us.
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

The other fellow informed him that they don't do any withholdings either! We're going to have to go back to using a CPA. There's no freaking way I can figure out SS, Medicare, and FICA! I guess it means his checks will be huge, but we're going to have to have our CPA guide us on how much to send and where to send it. Ugh!!!
                    Veronica

Comment

What a headache! I guess there is no way of knowing this while applying to fellowships???
                      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

What a pain! We adjusted from 1x/month to 2x/month, and that's definitely the easier adjustment to make.
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                          The other fellow informed him that they don't do any withholdings either! We're going to have to go back to using a CPA. There's no freaking way I can figure out SS, Medicare, and FICA! I guess it means his checks will be huge, but we're going to have to have our CPA guide us on how much to send and where to send it. Ugh!!!
                          WTF? How does the employer get away with not doing withholdings? That is just crazy!
                          Kris

Comment

The university worked it out by not calling it a salary I think. It is so frustrating. Too bad they won't pay our CPA for us. I'll be calling him in August.

I am thankful that the other resident told him in advance. The poor guy found out the hard way when he got his W2 owed so much. Luckily it was only 6 months worth of taxes that first time.
                            Veronica

Comment

I still think it is a lame attempt by the university to get out doing the work and I am pissed on your behalf.
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X