Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Applying to Residency - Saving Money

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying to Residency - Saving Money

I finally put together a post on tips of cutting costs while applying to residency. I used advice I got here, as well as from the doctor's wives blog.

Hope its useful to some of you or for others in the future.

Saving Money in Applying to Residency.
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Can we sticky this?!? Oh please oh please oh please!?
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

done.

Comment

This is good stuff Marissa, I will be looking at this in great detail in about a year and a half or so. Thank you for putting this together, I remember what you went through with Match.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, this comes in handy since we're in the thick of the match.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Marissa, would you mind quoting the content of the blog post(s) here, also, rather than just having a link?
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I don't know if I should post here or in the other thread, but I figured this was related to one of the points Marissa made on the blog post.

For those of you who have done this before and those scheduling interviews now, how feasible was grouping interviews by location? With the exception of this weekend, I haven't been able to group interviews at all. They're all over the place. I just wasn't able to hold a week or two open for possible interviews in the area, interviews which may or may not come. Meanwhile, there are perfectly good interview offers that have to be scheduled even if they dont fit my ideal master plan. Any thoughts on how you held dates open just in case?
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

We weren't able to group any of dh's residency interviews. We had very few places that offered more than one date and he interviewed all over the country. As well, there was only one within driving distance from where we lived so we ended up around $10k in all for interview expenses. This also included a suite and some clothing. I thought her tips were great, however none worked for us so don't feel too bad if they don't work for you either.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

We have booked about 8 interviews and with the scarce amount of days they have open at each interview and the staggered way they are rolling in, we haven't been able to book any together either. DH is considering cancelling one he has scheduled in favor of scheduling two different interviews (which are in the same state, though a five hour drive between) that same weekend. Other than that, most seem to have interview dates in the middle of the week which also makes it harder since he can't take that many days off in a row.

Comment

We only managed to group the Texas interviews and that was because the programs worked together to allow applicants to do so and we lived in Texas in at the time (although we were about as far away from the interviews as you could get and still be in the state) so it was easier for my husband to get to those regardless of grouping. Marissa's tips are great but we interviewed all over the country and the 3 or 4 in Texas were the only ones we grouped. We probably spent close to $10k and that included suits, hotels and one interview that I came along with him. There were actually interviews we did cancel because they were too expensive/difficult to get to. But that was more because I felt like we wouldn't be happy in a place that was so difficult for our families to travel to. We were pretty unconventional when it came to the whole process though, we really felt that with such a long residency we would rather not match and wait a year to try again rather then be stuck somewhere we hated for 7 years. There were quite a few interviews we turned down which is not as common in a competitive specialty like NSG.

Comment

bumping for 2012ers

Comment

Great stuff Marissa, thank you. Btw. I am new here, Ayleen, wife to a cardiology fellow .

Comment

Originally posted by dr.tippy View Post
                          Great stuff Marissa, thank you. Btw. I am new here, Ayleen, wife to a cardiology fellow .
                          Welcome! Why don't you post a thread in the Introductions section of the board and share a little bit about yourself!

Comment

Bump!

Wife of a PGY-6

Comment

Working...
                            X