Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Income Based Repayment vs. Income Contingent Repayment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income Based Repayment vs. Income Contingent Repayment

I thought for sure by now that the wolf would've been knocking at the door to collect DH's loans, but we haven't heard anything! I finally jumped online to look only to discover his loans have been sold/transferred and now we're dealing with two seperate servicers. After calling one of the servicers I discovered both have DH's status as "in school". One of them updated it based only on the information I provided. Is this typical? Should I call and update his status with the other servicer or would this only be jumping the gun on his grace period? I figured we'd be getting notices as soon as he graduated notifying us of his grace period and to select a payment method.

The one servicer I spoke with mentioned they do not do any sort of loan for service program which I thought was one of the benefits of choosing IBR. After a little online research, I'm having a hard time determining the pros/cons of IBR vs. ICR. It seems like with ICR if the payment amount does not cover the accrued interest, the interest then capitalizes. Is this the case with IBR? Does ICR offer any loan for service forgiveness program? At the financial aid exit seminar, I recall hearing that residency counted towards the 10 year loan forgiveness program since most teaching hospitals are considered not for profit. I really hate the idea of the debt, so I want to make some sort of payment during residency but without me working I doubt we can afford much.

Another couple questions: I'd prefer to have one servicer for all the loans. All of DH's loans are federal stafford loans (some subsidized, some not). With the exception of a two loans totaling around 14K at an interest rate of 1.76%, the remaining 71K is at 6.8%. Would it be wise to consolidate the higher interest ones to one servicer? Each servicer has one of the low interest loans, is there a way to put those separate so they are the last to be paid off?

Has anyone had their loans forgiven as a result of IBR or post training job contract negotiations?
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

I won't be much help but we met with the financial aid officer at dh's med school to make a plan for our loans. I cannot express how much she helped us, seriously it was huge. In terms of loan forgiveness, dh was awarded a loan repayment grant through the NIH. In the end it will pay back more than half of our debt. Since your hubby is also a PhD guy I would encourage him to look into this option. They are really helpful with questions etc. In all of dh's interviews so far loan repayment or debt forgiveness has not been on the table and MFM's are in pretty high demand. But I am sure all fields are different and he has only had one non-academic position interview which also makes a difference. Good luck with everything!!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Check out http://www.ibrinfo.org/. There is a lot of information about IBR vs ICR this on there.

From what I understand, you MUST consolidate with Direct Lending/Direct Loans to qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (the 10 year discharge). Any loans you don't consolidate with Direct Loans won't be counted in the loan forgiveness. Now whether the loan forgiveness will ever actually happen is a whole other debate...

Comment

Working...
      X