Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Real Life Financial Planning for the New Physician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Life Financial Planning for the New Physician

Hey gang, MissMartini had recommended this i another thread but I thought it deserved its own.

I bought it and another one and read this one in about 2 nights. It's been VERY helpful as we prepare for the financial mess that is post-training but I think it would also be VERY helpful for everyone, starting in med school even.

I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Life-Fina.../dp/0314916318
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

If you don't mind sharing, what's the other book you read? Thanks for posting.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

I'm still reading the other one, its much longer but nicely summarized at the end of each chapter. But I can't really give a review of it yet.

But its the 2nd edition of:
      http://www.amazon.com/Physicians-Gui.../dp/1603275436

Comment

Im thinking of getting this book. I'm a little put off by the price though.
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I was to at first but after reading it I am confident it is something I will hang onto and refer back to often

Comment

I actually ordered it as well with a gift card I had a bit of money left on. Just came yesterday, so I'll check back in when I finish reading it, probably over the next day or two.
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Just ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation. DH and I have much to learn and I want to have an idea what our financial advisor is talking about (when we find one).

Comment

Thanks, C, for posting all of this stuff! I think you've got everyone scrambling to these books and blog!

What are your goals for an emergency fund? Suze Orman says 8 months, our adviser says 6 months (and also says that not all 6 months has to be immediately available, but shouldn't be locked into any investments). If your car breaks down or your roof needs a repair, you aren't going to need that much. And luckily for physicians, in an emergency, I think finding new employment shouldn't take 8 months...

What do you all think?

ETA: I realize that this is more for the post-training crowd. Don't mean to exclude anyone!
                Last edited by alison; 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Thanks for the rec. I just purchased the book. I missed the SS's post about the financial blog Alison referred to. Would someone mind linking me to it.

Regarding an emergency fund, our accountant has recommended three months worth. She reasons that we would most likely need to dip into the emergency stash in the event Dh becomes disabled. Disability insurance doesn't start paying until 90 days following disability, thus the need for three months worth in savings. Perhaps her recommendation of three months was tailored to Dh because his job is VERY stable. He is an equal share owner so Dh would have to do something horrendous to lose his job and even then the other partners would have to buy him out. I've heard many financial planners say 6 months worth so I was a little surprised by our accountant's recommendation of three months. Her reasoning does make sense to me, though.
                  Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

That is a good question on the emergency fund. The book also recommends 3 months and that should be of expenses not income.

This is the blog http://whitecoatinvestor.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe View Post
                      Disability insurance doesn't start paying until 90 days following disability, thus the need for three months worth in savings.
                      You can get this set to 180 days and then it's cheaper (that's what we just did). And then, yes, of course, you'll need more in your emergency fund.

And luckily for physicians, in an emergency, I think finding new employment shouldn't take 8 months...
                      And this is exactly why I've been planning to build up a year's worth. Ha ha ha! *sob* *sob*

My thinking on the emergency fund is if you don't use it you get to keep it--it's not a gamble like insurance. So go aggressive. Save save save.
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

That is a good point Julie and I was just looking at DH's contract - it pays him for 90 days due to an illness, I wonder if we should kick our disability back to 180 days...and whether or not an illness is the same as a disability...

Comment

3 would be cutting it a little too close for my comfort level, but I can see the logic in it. I just don't think having 6 to 8 months readily available makes sense, when you'll never need the whole chunk, and you can at least benefit from a better interest rate if part of the fund is kept elsewhere (if and when interest rates ever go up again).
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

It's a good point about not needing the whole thing immediately accessible. We haven't gotten to that point yet--at six months out we're still building the thing.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We keep an amount in cash that we should be able to live off of for 6 months minimum, up to a year if we are careful enough. It's in a savings account so it's earning at least a modicum of interest, and I'd say we're more comfortable being able to access the full amount at any time vs. having it tied up in stocks or CDs or certainly anything less liquid.
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X