Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tax Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Software

What do you use? Did you buy it online or in a store?

How much did you pay for it?

Any suggestions or ones to stay away from?

I think my in-laws use turbo tax which is what I am leaning towards?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Oh I also found this:

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

Comment

We qualify for TurboTax Freedom Edition this year, which is free for federal and one state (not ALL states are free, only a select few). Additional states are $14.95.

Had we not qualified for that, I'd have gone for the H&R Block At Home Deluxe Federal & State. I don't think the deal is active anymore, but Target sold it for $39.99 with a $10 mail-in rebate, a $10 Target coupon, and a $10 Target gift card. Total cost? $9.99 plus tax and the cost of an envelope and stamp.

Barring that, whatever cheap deal I could find on this FatWallet thread. I've used TaxAct, H&R Block, and Turbo Tax. I can't see a huge difference between them, so I'm not loyal to any of them.
      Last edited by MissCrabette; 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM.
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

Okay I entered our info into H&R Block, and I am used to getting ALL of our Federal Income tax that we paid back... this year we are only getting about 75% of it back. Could that be because we aren't paying any education expenses this year?

Comment

Turbo Tax.

But I am not sure if I am really smart enough to use it, since it apparently flummoxed Tim Geithner.

Comment

We are running it through TaxAct, but will ultimately use an accountant with the practice.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I also use Turbo Tax, I hate that we have to do 2 states and this Willie the last year we do them ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

SS-doing them with an accountant is actually very similar to turbotax. They ask you the same questions almost word for word and fill out questionnaire after questionnaire!
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I may try it myself before we just hire someone, we'll see. There will be some confusion because we will live in one state but work in another.

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have uses Turbo Tax for all sorts I'd weird personal income tax situations--including foreign earned income--and I have never had a problem. I created an additional spreadsheet on my own, to explain the calculations related to the foreign-earned income, but I think that was just lawyer overkill on my part.

But, we do not take "creative" tax positions. I don't play games or try gimmicks. I am not suggesting that anyone here would--but it is those sorts of positions that most frequently trigger audits.

Hire an accountant if you are entering into a partnership, though, I'd say
                    Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I also use the free version of Turbo Tax.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                        I may try it myself before we just hire someone, we'll see. There will be some confusion because we will live in one state but work in another.

I don't think that is that big of a deal. TT should be able to handle that easily. The bigger issues that may crop up are related to his employment and how he is paid. Is it PP or employment etc.
                        Kris

Comment

I've been very happy with TurboTax. Definitely found (legit) deductions I wouldn't have known about. Also, I've started doing mine already and having most of the info entered already is nice.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Until a couple years ago, we always used Turbo Tax and loved it. We have been audited and actually found that we under-declared (DH and I are really conservative in not "stretching" for any deductions), and it was really easy to pull up all of our old information and have it in one place. We use an accountant now, but only because DH worked in two states, we moved, and he has 2 or 3 w-2s and 2 or 3 1099s. It's just too complicated now.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I used H&R Block last year and it was a nightmare. As in me being on the phone with them for FOUR hours trying to get it straightened out because the software kept losing my info. and then would not load back. Horrible. Never again. We'll be using TT this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X