Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pay it or save it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay it or save it?

We have to make decisions about loans for 3rd year soon and I'm curious as to what you would do in our situation.

We've taken out loans both years to pay tuition. I take care of our other expenses with my income. The first year DH got a scholarship and all other loans were subsidized so the interest was paid by the gov. or other party until the end of residency. The second year there was no scholarship and fewer subsidized loans available to us, so we took what we could subsidized and took the rest unsubsidized. Keep in mind that tuition isn't too bad here--about 15k a year.

In the meantime, we've set aside $500/month towards school costs in an account in lieu of paying the tuition directly. We've taken out some to pay for boards, test prep, etc. but for the most part it is still there. I got an unexpected bonus this year and we'll have some money back on our tax return we plan to put in the account. We have an additional regular savings account, but it doesn't have near as much.

When a large portion of the loans were subsidized, it made sense to us to hold onto the money in case we needed it and then make a decision about what to do with it when DH graduated. It was announced not to long ago that all loans would now be unsubsidized, so we really need to re-evaluate our decision before we take out more financial aid for this upcoming year. It seems silly to pay accumulate interest when we have the money sitting in the account, but I'm thinking about the following possible expenses, too.

--Interview expenses for 4th year

--I have a 2000 Taurus that I absolutely love--I could get 2-4 more years out of it easily and it is generally in good shape. BUT it has a freon leak--my dad has been able to "duct tape fix it" with Stop Leak, but I've priced it out and the cost to get it fixed is $1000 if the Stop Leak stops working. This is something that has to be fixed if it breaks because it means no A/C...in Texas. The car is probably only worth $2500, but if it breaks, no one would buy a car with no A/C in Texas so I'd have to shell out the $1000 to even sell it. So I'm taking a gamble by not selling it while it's working okay. Either way, we're going to have to buy a new car before the end of residency.

--I'd like to buy a house during residency and we could probably get a decent down payment out of this in the next two years.

And mainly I just worry about the "what ifs?" What if I lose my job? Our regular savings account would get us by for awhile and we could take out loans, but I'd like to have the money there and available to me if we really really need it.

I guess I just need to do the math and see how much it will really cost us in interest to hold onto the money. The most we could really leave med school with is about $70k in loans (about $20k subsidized and $50k unsubsidized) and we have no undergrad or other debt...it seems like so much, but then again it doesn't.

What pieces am I missing here? Would you take out more loans for the full amount of tuition or try and pay back some of it now?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

No advice on the loans, but don't wait until the car is on its deathbed. We've learned the hard way.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

but don't wait until the car is on its deathbed
      Argh...I know. It's so hard to tell, though. Yes, it is 12 years old, but it only has 115k miles on it. I love it...it has a sunroof and a multi CD player. And a tape cassette (which experienced a rebirth with my ipod). And amazingly everything works!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I would use the money now, avoid taking out loans if you can. I mean keep a small emergency fund but use the rest to pay tuition. You can always take the loans out later if you need them (right?).
        We are close to the end of training and the student loans are like a millstone around the neck. DH can't even take a few weeks off between fellowship ending and the job starting because of his loan payments. Our debt is much higher than what you are talking but I'd still suggest keeping it as low as you can.
        That's my 2c.

Comment

You can always take the loans out later if you need them (right?).
          As far as financial aid goes, I think we have to make the decision the April before each school year. I'm not sure if we could go back and get more later, but I seem to remember that not being an option (or at least an easy one) the last time we went through the process. Anyone know?

I don't even know what the interest rate is. I figure it would be less than a car loan or credit card balance, though.

As far as a down payment on a house goes, what is the normal %?

Does anyone know how to calculate what your loan payments might be on federal student loans? I guess it depends on what you are making at the time, right? Is forbearance even an option anymore? I really know so little about all of it.

Comment

Don't buy a house during residency unless you really have to. We had to, because it would have been much more expensive to rent the same space in that geographic area. It worked out fine for us, but I know--literally--no other residents who were happy they bought. There are a lot of hidden costs in homeowning.

Comment

I guess it totally depends where we end up. If by God's grace we get to stay here, I'd like to buy, though. To rent something big enough for the number of kids we want to have by then in the area we'd like to live gets pretty dang expensive.

Comment

We went the route of taking out some loans. We finished medical school with about 80k in debt (no undergrad and no credit card balances). We went into forbearance on the loans during residency (I think that's the term - where we pay nothing but interest accumulates).

Of course, anyone can tell you that strictly financially speaking, that wasn't the best decision. However, it allowed me to SAH during residency, so we'll deal with the debt as a consequence, but I think it's been worth it.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Federal loan interest rates are generally 6.8%.
                  Buying a house in residency really depends on where you end up and how long you'll be there. Sometimes it saves to buy, other times its more expensive with all the fees and unknowns in the market!
                  To estimate loan payments on IBR go to IBRinfo.org. It's a GREAT option on a residents salary, but payments are pretty close to a standard 10 year repayment plan if we were to have two incomes. So if I go back to work we'll have to forbear/not pay and let interest accumulate.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I was happy we bought in residency. It's amazing we were able to. We had a lot of financial hurdles and a lot of stars that aligned for us. but we bought before the market jumped and tanked again. We came out a tiny bit ahead in the deal.

We have a buttload of student loans. It's a sick amount. We pay on them every month, and we will be for the next 29 years. We got consolidation loans, and our interest rates are locked in right now at 2.75%. In two more years, after we've made 36 on time payments, the interest will drop to 1.75%. So, we aren't in a huge hurry to pay that back. We pay the minimum on it.

We had a lot of other financial troubles in medical school and residency and left with a boatload of other debts. About 200K worth. In the last year, we've paid 125K of that off. We are paying it down aggressively, while still living a little. DH pulls into the physicians lot in his hospital in his Altima full of Mercedes and BMWs, and even a Ferrari and a Bentley. It's fine. He isn't getting one of those in the foreseeable future.

We got an amazing house by the skin of our teeth with a doctor loan. If we had to turn around and sell it tomorrow, we could make a large profit. Houses next to us have been selling for over 6 figures more. I don't want to sell my house, but the one we bought (bank owned) was a steal and good investment.

I'm not the best person to ask about this because we didn't have two nickels in med school. We lived entirely off loans, and it was lean. I would keep an emergency fund. I would sell your car now, and find a little newer used one to
                    purchase, and the rest should go to tuition. I wouldn't save for a downpayment yet. Keep your debt as small as possible, but especially your consumer debts. I would be most worried about your car.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Don't plan on buying during residency quite yet. I'd see about getting another year on the car but not much longer than that- in the meantime- sock away a bit to be ready for when it's time. The key we've always been told is that if you're paying more in interest than you're making in interest, (or would be) just pay. In other words, if you're avoiding a 3.5% interest loan paying it now, that's better than sticking the money in an account that's only paying 1%. (after an emergency fund, of course)

J.

Comment

Can't really comment on whether to buy a house. I really don't think I would in residency, but housing markets are so variable that I am not comfortable giving somebody else advice on that.

But, I do know...get rid of the car now, while it's still worth something. I had a similar issue a couple years ago, and I waited on buying a new car. The car completely died, and I ended up getting a whopping $250 for it, and not a single dealership would trade it in.
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Jenn's got a good point, but the peace of mind of having a bigger buffer in savings has a value as well, and how much it's worth is totally up to you. It's really what you're comfortable with. I can tell you that 80K in debt is not even close to a huge amount, especially if it's all in relatively-low-interest-rate student loans. *shrug*
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I don't remember what your husband is leaning towards for specialty? If its 4 years or less I wouldn't plan on buying, I'd wait and see. If its longer then 4 years then buying makes a lot more sense in my opinion.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

You can still go into forbearance (interest accrues) but deferment is no longer an option during residency. Which sucks. And rates are around 6.8%. Which also sucks. Even still, I would lean more towards having a large emergency fund that you feel comfortable with and making it even bigger. We had a sizable emergency fund at the start of fourth year and after interviews, board exams, relocating, me being without a job for 3 months due to relocating, and both of our cars kicking the bucket within 5 months of one another, we not only completely wiped out that emergency fund but we ended up having to forbear as well which was not our original plan as well as tacked on a small amount of credit card debt. I'm a total cynic when it comes to car issues though because we've had one right after another these last few month. Six months ago I had a 2004 model, 135k mile car that occasionally had some funky electrical issues but otherwise was in good condition as far as I knew. I now have a big hunk of metal sitting in my driveway that's just become storage and worth less than what it cost for me to figure out that it couldn't be repaired. The other thing is, you can take out the full amount of the loan in April and if by the end of the school year you haven't used it all you could always just pay that part back. You just have to fight the temptation to use it just because you have it.
                              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                              X