Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bank accounts, credit cards and insurances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
    I have to admit, I've had the opposite experience to most people on the thread so far. I loved Wells Fargo when I banked with them. I liked having branches everywhere so I could bank near my work, home, out running errands, when visiting FH's family or my family... I always had free checking and savings, and the rates were comparable to most places. Plus there's the benefit of being able to instantly electronically transfer between your other account there. I used to use a credit union but was turned off by the inconvenience of only having one or two locations to go to. It's been a while though, and my old credit union didn't even have online banking yet.
    I haven't needed to set foot in a bank building for years, so having lots of branches is completely irrelevant to me. My USAA account lets me take pictures of checks to deposit them, I can electronically transfer between not only just my USAA accounts, but also my non-USAA accounts, from the USAA website. I can get cash at any ATM, their phone service is absolutely amazing (unlike my experience with WF), and they don't nickel and dime you to death with fees (also unlike my experience with WF).

I can see where if the CU you're comparing to doesn't have electronic banking, WF would seem like a huge step up, but it sure wasn't for me. I opened a WF account when we moved away from the CU we'd been using for years, because I had no easy way to deposit checks, and it seemed easier to have a "local" account. I was not happy with WF, and was so glad to be able to switch to USAA when they got their deposit@mobile system set up.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

We bank with usaa and I do the mobile deposits. Awesome! Checks greater than 10k have to deposited via a ups store. I deposited Erik's sign on bonus that way. All they did was swipe his debit card then scanned the check. A portion of the funds was unavailable for 5 business days but it was a substantially large check. I have banked with them for 9 years and they have always been great. Renters insurance, car, life insurance, and home owner's insurance. You can withdrawal funds from us bank without a fee, not that it really matters since they reimburse the fee.

Comment

I think Wells Fargo has the mobile photo deposit now too. I'm with PNC since we moved and they do it too. It's pretty awesome that it's becoming the norm! I don't think I was ever charged a cent by WF, but I've heard from others who had fees or other issues with them, so I can get where you're coming from. In my last job I didn't have direct deposit, so I actually had to go deposit my paycheck every two weeks, and this was before mobile deposit. So it was really handy to have multiple locations depending on what errands I was running on the way home from work. It's funny how quickly something like going to the bank becomes obsolete.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

FWIW, you don't have to use a credit union's own ATMs when depositing cash or checks. They have an entire network of partners whose ATMs you can use for that purpose. Thank you oceanchild for that little nugget (I think it was you).

Personally, I'm soured on credit unions. They haven't been all that for us. My biggest annoyance is with the limited hours during which you can get a hold of an actual person to help you with things (in our case things THEY messed up).

Right now our accounts are with Fidelity. I LOVE how you can transfer money between them and other accounts for free. Their Cash Management Account (CMA, basically a checking account) also let's you deposit checks via their phone app. I know they reimburse ATM fees, but I don't recall if it's for their brokerage account only or for both brokerage and CMA. Their customer service reps ROCK!

While I'm still singing praises to Fidelity, they have the most awesome credit card: Fidelity AMEX. It gives 2% cash back on everything, and you can easily move that into any Fidelity account. There are other redemption options, but they're not as good. For gas, groceries, and Amazon purchases I use a Sallie Mae visa. It gives 5% on grocery and gas purchases of up to $500/month combined, and 5% in bookstores (Amazon qualifies - even the marketplace sellers) up to $1,000 spending per month. Everything else (and the categories above after they reach their limits) is 1%.

As far as insurance, we've had good luck with StateFarm but never had to make a claim, so I don't know how they are in that respect.

I hope this helps.
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            ...and they don't nickel and dime you to death with fees (also unlike my experience with WF).
            This has been my experience with WF as well. I've only had an account with them for 8 months -- I signed up for free checking but they've changed the rules twice since I signed up on what you have to do to be eligible so unless I really read every email from them closely I randomly get a $5 or $8 fee taken out of my "free" checking account each month. Ridiculous. I'll probably be closing that account soon. ETA: To their credit, I called to complain and they reimbursed me for each fee they charged.
            Last edited by niener; 05-31-2012, 12:20 PM.
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I use USAA for everything because you can do everything you need via phone or online. They refund the ATM fees and they have excellent loans, car loans, life insurance, etc. Pretty much everything except our mortgage is with USAA.

I like the convenience of being able to move money in and out of accounts as needed. We have dude's 529 w/ them and I have several Roth IRAs with them.

Call them and tell them what you want and they'll give you everything. (except car insurance, I guess- but I know they work with Progressive because they don't do motorcycle insurance either but that's who they preferred.)

J.

Comment

I found out that I need to set my dad up with them (he's my USAA link) before they can offer me insurance. But so far their customer service has been great!!
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Always and evey time! I just heart them. If you can be a USAA member, you must take advantage of the perks. Yes, get your dad on board. I am surprised how many former and current military do not know about USAA.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I hate that I can't qualify. Lame. Our grandfathers were all in the military, but I don't think that counts. We only have one left. So, if it does count, I need to get FIL to help him get a USAA account.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

It might count! The military member has to sign up first and then the rest of the family. And they said my dad doesn't have to get insurance, just get a quote for me to qualify for a quote.

ETA: I signed my dad up online. It was super easy!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michele, I hope you are calling yourself Dr. when you make these phone calls or leave messages !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Nope. I only use Dr when I'm calling in an Rx or when calling another vet office to talk to the vet.

Should I use it?
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

THIS is when you do use it. When we are doing any kind of business like this, I have DH call because I know our return call and the attitude toward us will be much different (I also make him call and use it when we're complaining anywhere).

Take advantage of the fact that, generally people think dawkters are rich, rich, rich!
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                              THIS is when you do use it. When we are doing any kind of business like this, I have DH call because I know our return call and the attitude toward us will be much different (I also make him call and use it when we're complaining anywhere).
                              So freaking true.
                              Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Hi!
                                We went through Liberty Mutual for our auto insurance when we moved to Florida. The AMA offers a discount so it definitely made them the cheapest.
                                Wife of a MIS/Bariatric Fellow

Comment

Working...
                                X